Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Oct 2, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #6,106 of 6,468
I recently bought the Jotunheim with the balanced dac module, however, the entire amp section is dead. Only the dac works.
Could someone within Europe tell me what power supply their jot shipped with? I have a feeling ive been sent the wrong one by schiit-europe

Oct 2, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #6,107 of 6,468
I recently bought the Jotunheim with the balanced dac module, however, the entire amp section is dead. Only the dac works.
Could someone within Europe tell me what power supply their jot shipped with? I have a feeling ive been sent the wrong one by schiit-europe

My Jotunheim has it's voltage rating indicated on the serial number tag on the back of the unit. It does not use a separate power supply just the appropriate power cord for your country's power outlet.

Oct 2, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #6,108 of 6,468
My Jotunheim has it's voltage rating indicated on the serial number tag on the back of the unit. It does not use a separate power supply just the appropriate power cord for your country's power outlet.
Ah yes, I meant the powercord. I now checked and what's written on the cord does not match with what's written on the jot itself

Oct 2, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #6,109 of 6,468
Hey @CSkloma
Does your Jot have the 230V sticker?
If not it is the wrong version...since you could plug in your cable has a schuko plug, wright? Are the two orange lights on? Did you double check you selected the correct input?

Oct 2, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #6,110 of 6,468
Hey @CSkloma
Does your Jot have the 230V sticker?
If not it is the wrong version...since you could plug in your cable has a schuko plug, wright? Are the two orange lights on? Did you double check you selected the correct input?
Yeah, it has the 230V sticker, and yes. The two orange lights are also on, and i have tried all inputs, the only one that works is the dac one. I have tried using different cables as well but with the same result, also tried hooking it up to my laptop and it was the same thing.
In balanced i get barely audible sound if i turn it all the way up, and in SE its just hissing noise if i turn the volume up

Oct 2, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #6,111 of 6,468
Hmm that sounds like your unit is not working. Probably best to get in contact with Schiit Europe then

Yeah, it has the 230V sticker, and yes. The two orange lights are also on, and i have tried all inputs, the only one that works is the dac one. I have tried using different cables as well but with the same result, also tried hooking it up to my laptop and it was the same thing.
In balanced i get barely audible sound if i turn it all the way up, and in SE its just hissing noise if i turn the volume up

Oct 25, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #6,112 of 6,468
First time posting in this thread, just got my Jotunheim today.

Having owned Lyr 2 and Valhalla 2, I always found the volume notch a bit hard to see.

If anyone wants a make their volume indicator more visible, grab a hole-punch, electrical tape and a sewing needle:
20191025_144234.jpg

Oct 30, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #6,113 of 6,468
I doubt the Jot R will work properly with any other headphones.

There'd be no point. It's a low-voltage, high-current design. You can turn off the SR1a stepped-baffle-compensation (2nd switch), but it still isn't suitable for conventional headphones (that's why the XLR connector has its gender inverted).

JotR - Front (1024).jpg

I'm not sure why you'd want to try and use this with regular headphones. That's what the normal Jotunheim is for ...

Oct 30, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #6,114 of 6,468
There'd be no point. It's a low-voltage, high-current design. You can turn off the SR1a stepped-baffle-compensation (2nd switch), but it still isn't suitable for conventional headphones (that's why the XLR connector has its gender inverted).

I'm not sure why you'd want to try and use this with regular headphones. That's what the normal Jotunheim is for ...
You just know some weirdo is gonna do it anyway. :gs1000smile:

Nov 24, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #6,115 of 6,468
Hi everyone,
In january I will be upgrading my home rig to dcaudio ac2 headphones with the bifrost 2 dac running to my audioengine a5+ speakers and an amp for the dan clark audio headphones.
My first choice is the jotunheim so I can run the headphones balanced and have a wholly balanced rig. I can then connect my powered speakers to the rca output on the dac for a clean setup.
Out of curiosity I am wondering if anyone has compared the jot to either the lyr 3 and/or the asgard 3. While I think the jot is the best solution for me I am still curious about how it stacks up in sound quality to some other schiit amps.
Thanks in advance for any info,
Greetings, Anouk,

Dec 23, 2019 at 12:09 AM Post #6,118 of 6,468
The more amps I hear the more I gain appreciation for the tonality of the Jotunheim.

I'd like to see a Jot with the Continuity output stage to improve the sound stage, but I think I read somewhere it couldn't fit into a balanced configuration due to heat dissipation or something.

Dec 30, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #6,119 of 6,468
Was having some issues with buzzing on my Jot, and I sent it in for repair. They replaced the RCA jacks under warranty and now all is well. No buzz even with my Shure SE 846, and now with the new HE6SE I got on a deal from Adorama, the Jot and Gungnir Multibit make them sing. I even compared the Jot to a Vidar with these phones and I don’t find it lacking in power at all.

Jan 2, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #6,120 of 6,468
Just got a used Jot with balanced dac and for the price this is a really good deal but I guess I'm not a fan of the Schiit house sound. I'm a firm believer of buy American but like the Audio gd sound much better. I find this Jot not much better than my basic Modi and Magni stack. Even when connected to my Dac-19 I don't find myself wanting to listen to music unlike my previous Audio Gd C2 and Dac-19. Of course this is just my preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back