Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Sep 9, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #6,092 of 6,468
The original Jot came out two years ago now, right?

I hope that there will be some form of revision or slight refresh of the primary Jotunheim when this single-purpose R gets released.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2019 at 4:51 AM Post #6,093 of 6,468
The Jotunheim R appears to be designed to only work with the RAAL/Requisite SR1a since it has the SR1a's impedance-matching circuitry built into it.

I doubt the Jot R will work properly with any other headphones. :angry:
Yeah, I was told it's definitely incapable of driving regular headphones.

Some more pictures:

20190906_155435.jpg 20190906_155321.jpg

Edit: removed redundant information. It's late...

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #6,096 of 6,468
Yeah, I was told it's definitely incapable of driving regular headphones.

Some more pictures:

Edit: removed redundant information. It's late...

How big is the market for headphone amps for RAALs? Seems like a very niche product to me, or am I missing something? I wonder why they're prepared to take the risk on this but not on a multibit ADC for example?

Sep 11, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #6,097 of 6,468
How big is the market for headphone amps for RAALs? Seems like a very niche product to me, or am I missing something? I wonder why they're prepared to take the risk on this but not on a multibit ADC for example?

Yeah, I've never really been a fan of any headphone which requires a bespoke solution to enjoy. I will wait and see what the official word is from the boys, but, my initial impression is that this product would exist in a pocket reality.
They would need to have been sufficiently compensated for their efforts by RAAL, obviously, making this on behalf of the company, solely for its customers, as the market for this headphone is minimal.

Edit: I would hope that any one of you fine folks would allow me to borrow these headphones should I ever decide to make a homemade lasagna! Gotta shred the cheese just so!

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #6,098 of 6,468
I'll let Jason speak for himself:
Now, as to why we're chasing this niche product, here's the thing: I learned quite a bit about amp design in general, in the process of tweaking a product to deliver huge amperage into very low impedance loads. There's a long-standing joke in amp design about "driving a screwdriver." The Raal headphones are pretty much a screwdriver. And delving into all the tweaks necessary to increase power transfer efficiency means that we now know much more about this aspect of amp design--and will likely apply this knowledge to other products in the future.
The biggest risk is not being able to recover the R&D cost, and it sounds like the Jotunheim R won't be the only product benefiting from the lessons learned. So the remaining question is just whether there's enough demand for the Jotunheim R specifically to cover production costs. However well the SR1a may be selling, not everyone will want to use the Jotunheim R with it, especially people who already have a good alternative. But that's for Schiit to figure out.

Sep 12, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #6,099 of 6,468
Hi there

I orderes a Jotunheim today and wanted to ask what input Voltage is best.
I will be using it with chord mojo so Line level over rca would be 3V or I go 4 klicks down to 1.9 V
Just want to make sure I am not feeding it too much voltage.
I am also thinking about getting a balanced Noir Hybrid cable for my open Aeons, since I understand that I am not loosing much going SE in and balanced HP out .
Also I wounder if it makes some difference to use a jitterbug on the USB input without using it.
Well I am exited and will report how I like it soon.

Cheers

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #6,100 of 6,468
So Jotunheim arrived today and I am really happy with it :)
I listened to my new setup for about five hours today and I can say that its definetly a keeper.
Compared to Mojo alone the sound is much more holographic. The soundstage of my Aeons opened up quite a bit. This more realistic presentation results in better resolution, as well. I hear more nuanced treble and the bass seems also better defined, plus it hits harder.
Vocals fit nicely into the presentation. For the first hour i felt like female Voices lost a bit smoothness and the sound seemed a bit harder in general but after a few hours I didnt feels this way anymore. Maybe cause it took me a little while to adjust to the new sound or Jotunheim sounds smoother when its warm.
Anyway I think Poly/Mojo and Jotunheim fit great together.

There was one shock moment. I tried to lift the performance up a noch by placing Jotunheim on three Triton Audio Neolev magnetic foots ....and Jotunheim didnt make a sound no more!!! No idea what the reason was but after I took away the Neolevs and waited a while all was good...Dont know if the magnetic fields were so strong they interfiered with Jotunheims internals. They have pretty strong magnets which can keep 8kg floating each.They are primarily made to decouple speakers , so I wont try this again :)

Next up is an adapter to use a jitterbug in the unused USB slot....and a balanced FAW Noir Hybrid :)

Cheers

Sep 18, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #6,103 of 6,468
Muahahah Triton Neolevs are back in the game. I bought a nice piece of bamboo wood and made it into a base with the Neolevs.
Now Poly/Mojo and Jotunheim are floating in the air , while I am floating in music :)
Seriously imho it lifts the performance of the sytem quite a bit...in almost all areas. Better Soundscape, better decay of notes ,better placement of instruments and better details.

Call me crazy but this made my day. But before you call me crazy take in account , that there are hifi bases for several thousand dollars....this diy solution is about 100 bucks. You can get the Neolevs at Thomann and I suspect that this is the best 100 bucks you can spent to elevate your system

20190918_234300.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back