Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jul 9, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #6,076 of 6,468
idk if this is the right place to ask this but: turns out my headphones XLR cable is too short. Can i get an XLR4 "extension" cable anywhere under $30? OR heck, even a XLR4 balanced to 2xXLR3 so I can use the "dime a dozen" XLR3 cables you can find anywhere.

Jul 9, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #6,077 of 6,468
idk if this is the right place to ask this but: turns out my headphones XLR cable is too short. Can i get an XLR4 "extension" cable anywhere under $30? OR heck, even a XLR4 balanced to 2xXLR3 so I can use the "dime a dozen" XLR3 cables you can find anywhere.
Blue Jeans Cable made me a 15 ft one for $51, using Canare L-4E6S cable and Neutrik connectors with gold plated contacts. It probably wouldn't be much cheaper if it were shorter, though.

Jul 9, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #6,078 of 6,468
Something like this bro?
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-Pin-D...hash=item2620580f84:m:mFc0lSHUDwYgo1iNjIw2U_w
Might have to stretch the budget just a little?! :)

or

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4pin-XL...=122708741226a9e9d320c78b417da7b662df68af7e95
But from China.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #6,079 of 6,468
Jul 9, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #6,080 of 6,468
Jul 10, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #6,083 of 6,468
I new to audiophile.I like to know if i get the module with balanced dac i would have a dac/amp in it right?
What abt multibit dac is it also dac/amp
In future i get a smsl su8 with xlr cable to combine with this in the balanced dac module is it counted as separate dac and amp?
Lastly am i able to use usb b to type c connect to my mobile to play music/tidal?

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #6,084 of 6,468
Have you tried Amazon.ca?
managed to get a local pro-audio company to custom make for a good price! :) [AVSHOP.ca]. I was trying to avoid custom but this price is really good. Thank you.

I new to audiophile.I like to know if i get the module with balanced dac i would have a dac/amp in it right?
What abt multibit dac is it also dac/amp
In future i get a smsl su8 with xlr cable to combine with this in the balanced dac module is it counted as separate dac and amp?
Lastly am i able to use usb b to type c connect to my mobile to play music/tidal?

1. Jotunheim with "balanced DAC add on/card" is indeed a DAC and Amp in one. Same applies for Multibit, which is obviously more expensive (I leave it to you to decide if it's worth it).
2. If you do decide to get the SMSL SU-8 later, you can just connect the SMSL to Jot's Amp section via XLR in, flip the switch in front to "XLR input" position and you are now using SMSL DAC with Jot Amp. If you are doing this with the Jotunheim that has a built-in DAC Card then this will circumvent the internal DAC completely.
- Personally I plan to get SMSL later on as well, which is why I decided to not go with the internal add-on DAC Card, as it will essentially not be used once I have the SMSL DAC (at least in my case). So I'm getting the Modi (or similar cheaper external DAC) first so I can resell it when i have the money to upgrade to SMSL SU-8.
3. I don't see why not? But I've had really weird luck with Android phones and USB DAC's. I don't know if it will work for sure, I'm getting mine in a bit (hopefully) I can test it out and let you know, unless someone else does so first.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #6,085 of 6,468
managed to get a local pro-audio company to custom make for a good price! :) [AVSHOP.ca]. I was trying to avoid custom but this price is really good. Thank you.

1. Jotunheim with "balanced DAC add on/card" is indeed a DAC and Amp in one. Same applies for Multibit, which is obviously more expensive (I leave it to you to decide if it's worth it).
2. If you do decide to get the SMSL SU-8 later, you can just connect the SMSL to Jot's Amp section via XLR in, flip the switch in front to "XLR input" position and you are now using SMSL DAC with Jot Amp. If you are doing this with the Jotunheim that has a built-in DAC Card then this will circumvent the internal DAC completely.
- Personally I plan to get SMSL later on as well, which is why I decided to not go with the internal add-on DAC Card, as it will essentially not be used once I have the SMSL DAC (at least in my case). So I'm getting the Modi (or similar cheaper external DAC) first so I can resell it when i have the money to upgrade to SMSL SU-8.
3. I don't see why not? But I've had really weird luck with Android phones and USB DAC's. I don't know if it will work for sure, I'm getting mine in a bit (hopefully) I can test it out and let you know, unless someone else does so first.
thanks. At first thought get massdrop thx but look like need wait so long so abit give up.Second looking at fiio q5s with the thx module both add up is pretty expensive and i can get good desktop dac/amp so alittle give up.
Third one is smsl su8 stack with smsl sh8 pretty cheap but smsl sh8 spec didnt really shine on me.
So lastly looking at this jon.

Jul 10, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #6,086 of 6,468

I don't see why not? But I've had really weird luck with Android phones and USB DAC's. I don't know if it will work for sure, I'm getting mine in a bit (hopefully) I can test it out and let you know, unless someone else does so first.

USB Audio Player PRO generally has good support for USB DACs, and lots of tweaks to possibly make it work if the defaults aren't good enough. And you can access Tidal through it by providing your credentials.
So if the Tidal app itself doesn't work with a USB DAC, there's a chance it still might work by going through UAPP (a paid app).

Sep 9, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #6,088 of 6,468
Well, this looks interesting! :grin:

The Jotunheim R!

head2_schiit.jpg

"I was pleasantly surprised to see Schiit Audio showing a prototype amp dedicated for the RAAL/Requisite SR1a ribbon headphones, which are normally powered by a speaker amplifier through an interface box. The Jotunheim R can drive the ultra-power-hungry, ultra-low-impedance SR1a headphones directly, thanks to a claimed 13 amps per channel of current. The Jotunheim R is slated to ship around the end of the year at a price of $999 including a multibit DAC and digital input -- quite reasonable considering the SR1a’s cost $3499."

https://www.soundstageglobal.com/in...s-earphones-amplifiers-and-accessories-part-2

Sep 9, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #6,089 of 6,468
Well, this looks interesting! :grin:

The Jotunheim R!

"I was pleasantly surprised to see Schiit Audio showing a prototype amp dedicated for the RAAL/Requisite SR1a ribbon headphones, which are normally powered by a speaker amplifier through an interface box. The Jotunheim R can drive the ultra-power-hungry, ultra-low-impedance SR1a headphones directly, thanks to a claimed 13 amps per channel of current. The Jotunheim R is slated to ship around the end of the year at a price of $999 including a multibit DAC and digital input -- quite reasonable considering the SR1a’s cost $3499."

https://www.soundstageglobal.com/in...s-earphones-amplifiers-and-accessories-part-2

I was wondering what those were. I went by but didn't have time to stop over on that side for very long. Such a long hike. I was helping out with an exhibitor so time playing was somewhat limited. Excellent.

Sep 9, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #6,090 of 6,468
The Jotunheim R appears to be designed to only work with the RAAL/Requisite SR1a since it has the SR1a's impedance-matching circuitry built into it.

I doubt the Jot R will work properly with any other headphones. :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back