Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jul 7, 2019 at 6:46 AM Post #6,061 of 6,469
Random question: more out of curiosity: Can i Connect a non balanced DAC TO THIS using RCA-XLR cables? I.e. DAC->RCA OUT->RCA-XLR->XLR IN->Jot ? Yes, your first question will be "why?".

Related question, not necessarily having to do with Jot directly but: i Can either run a 6 foot USB cable TO my DAC (Modi 3) OR run a 6 foot RCA cable FROM the DAC to Jot...which one is preferable?

Jul 7, 2019 at 7:29 AM Post #6,062 of 6,469
Random question: more out of curiosity: Can i Connect a non balanced DAC TO THIS using RCA-XLR cables? I.e. DAC->RCA OUT->RCA-XLR->XLR IN->Jot ? Yes, your first question will be "why?".

Related question, not necessarily having to do with Jot directly but: i Can either run a 6 foot USB cable TO my DAC (Modi 3) OR run a 6 foot RCA cable FROM the DAC to Jot...which one is preferable?
Perhaps a 6 foot usb cable, as it's only one long cable instead of two RCA cables, unless they are spliced together. It really comes down what you're comfortable with and cost of cables! Sound wise, I believe there shouldn't be any issues but perhaps certain RCA cables can have problems picking EMF and other electrical issues. Whereas a decent usb cable should have the wiring for the power isolated really well, say like Wireworld cables!

If it was me, I'd run with the 6 foot USB cable and short RCA's.

Good luck.

Jul 7, 2019 at 7:32 AM Post #6,063 of 6,469
Perhaps a 6 foot usb cable, as it's only one long cable instead of two RCA cables, unless they are spliced together. It really comes down what you're comfortable with and cost of cables! Sound wise, I believe there shouldn't be any issues but perhaps certain RCA cables can have problems picking EMF and other electrical issues. Whereas a decent usb cable should have the wiring for the power isolated really well, say like Wireworld cables!

If it was me, I'd run with the 6 foot USB cable and short RCA's.

Good luck.
See I thought USB too, cuz in general i always think digital signals are less prone to degradation etc. Then i started reading up about USB input issues on DACs etc.

Any thoughts on RCA-XLR converters btw?

Jul 7, 2019 at 7:47 AM Post #6,064 of 6,469
See I thought USB too, cuz in general i always think digital signals are less prone to degradation etc. Then i started reading up about USB input issues on DACs etc.

Any thoughts on RCA-XLR converters btw?
Does your Jot have the DAC card or other option? If you're just want a quick band aid solution, just go the 6 foot USB and you should have some RCA cables about to connect. Or look at going the optional extra and grab the MB or balanced DAC from Schiit, then you'll just have one long cable from the computer and you're good to go! I'd pick the clean simple setup anyday over a complex mess of cables, as I have and is an eye soar haha!

Jul 7, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #6,065 of 6,469
Does your Jot have the DAC card or other option? If you're just want a quick band aid solution, just go the 6 foot USB and you should have some RCA cables about to connect. Or look at going the optional extra and grab the MB or balanced DAC from Schiit, then you'll just have one long cable from the computer and you're good to go! I'd pick the clean simple setup anyday over a complex mess of cables, as I have and is an eye soar haha!
No Card. I'm gonna go external. Right now Modi3. Anyway, the reason I wanted to try RCA-XLR converters is so I can just use XLR cables and when I (eventually) get a Balanced DAC...use the same XLR cables. I already have a very long USB extension running from my computer, attached to the USB cable for the Modi (It worked fine, IIRC, when I was using it with my, now sold, Modi2)

Jul 7, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #6,066 of 6,469
No Card. I'm gonna go external. Right now Modi3. Anyway, the reason I wanted to try RCA-XLR converters is so I can just use XLR cables and when I (eventually) get a Balanced DAC...use the same XLR cables. I already have a very long USB extension running from my computer, attached to the USB cable for the Modi (It worked fine, IIRC, when I was using it with my, now sold, Modi2)
Ahhhh, yeah, makes sense. Have you come across any RCA to XLR adapters, maybe check music/Dj stores. I think they're pretty cheap. It may be too cumbersome out the back!

Jul 7, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #6,067 of 6,469
Ahhhh, yeah, makes sense. Have you come across any RCA to XLR adapters, maybe check music/Dj stores. I think they're pretty cheap. It may be too cumbersome out the back!
oh yea, there's a bunch on amazon. Cables themselves are more common than a short "converter" (i.e. male on both)..I just wanted to make sure there's no "grounding issue" if I do that. (the signal will basically end up being an unbalanced one right?)

Jul 7, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #6,068 of 6,469
oh yea, there's a bunch on amazon. Cables themselves are more common than a short "converter" (i.e. male on both)..I just wanted to make sure there's no "grounding issue" if I do that. (the signal will basically end up being an unbalanced one right?)
I reckon so, but I will say, I've paired the Jot to a lot of DAC's, some balanced some single-ended and as long as the DAC is good you'll won't lose any sleep, if you know what I mean?! The Jot is good clean amp and when paired with a decent DAC, gets out of the way!

Keep us posted on your setup mate!

Jul 8, 2019 at 3:44 AM Post #6,069 of 6,469
Random question: more out of curiosity: Can i Connect a non balanced DAC TO THIS using RCA-XLR cables? I.e. DAC->RCA OUT->RCA-XLR->XLR IN->Jot ?
It doesn't look like anyone actually answered this and the answer is yes. I know you said we would say why, but really why? The Jotunheim has line rca input. I would be more worried about adding a cheap amazon converter to convert RCA to XLR to my signal chain than running an unbalanced rca cable 6 feet

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #6,070 of 6,469
My first Schiit product, one word..impressed and seen here powering a Vibrolabs T50 balanced, only way to power these puppies.

I do like the AK4490, would love to see an ESS or R2R module as an option.

RiMLepA.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #6,071 of 6,469
Jul 8, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #6,073 of 6,469
My first Schiit product, one word..impressed and seen here powering a Vibrolabs T50 balanced, only way to power these puppies.

I do like the AK4490, would love to see an ESS or R2R module as an option.

Beautiful setup mate! That wood grain looks so nice!

I'm lucky to be running the Jot with one of those vintage beauties!
DSC067981-515x341.jpg555.jpg.340aeff9e5876fd0ce6c0c9db37b3e83.jpg
Theta DSPro Prime 2.
2019-04-13.jpg
Sensual stuff! :D

Jul 9, 2019 at 12:38 AM Post #6,074 of 6,469
Beautiful setup mate! That wood grain looks so nice!

I'm lucky to be running the Jot with one of those vintage beauties!

Theta DSPro Prime 2.

Sensual stuff! :D

You can buy the cups and tuning kit here. I am using a Dekoni Blue, Zebrawood and Brainwavz microsuede XL for pads.

http://www.vibrolabs.com

DAC looks good!

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2019 at 12:48 AM Post #6,075 of 6,469
You can buy the cups and tuning kit here. I am using a Dekoni Blue, Zebrawood and Brainwavz microsuede XL for pads.

http://www.vibrolabs.com

DAC looks good!
Nice man, I remember Vibrolabs back in the day! I got some Grado cups off them a long time a go and were beautiful!

The Jot should power the T50's well! If you got the dosh and just want to get a one-n-done system, look at the MB card for the Jot!

Edit: Just had a look at the Vibro site, omgosh....I want to mod my T50 that I got from Massdrop a long time a go, wasn't happy with it and it just sits here! Thank you! :D my wallet dou!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back