Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jan 25, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #6,016 of 6,469
So I just experienced the infamous "ringing" glitch with my Jot multi-bit / Windows 10. This is the first time I've noticed it having owned the unit since late June 2018. I heard a faint ringing noise in the left channel on some newly purchased hi-res tracks. I initially thought it was the file, but I switched to my speakers running off of my onboard sound card and the ringing was not present. I then went into Sound control panel -> playback tab -> Schiit -> properties -> advanced -> test. The ringing was really obvious on the left / right audio test. Turning the unit off and back on again immediately fixed the issue. The best way I can describe the ringing is that it sounded like a "crystalize" or "sitar" patch on a cheap guitar effects unit. ...kind of like a resonating ring filter or similar.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #6,018 of 6,469
Hi Scutey, see you are considering a Jotenhiem, a new member on the Euforia thread, triggsviola, has experience with what you are looking for you may want to reconsider. His thoughts are on page 366, he is online right now if you care to engage. He just got his Euforia and has some nice equipment with lots of phones. Good luck.

Feb 2, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #6,019 of 6,469
So I just experienced the infamous "ringing" glitch with my Jot multi-bit / Windows 10. This is the first time I've noticed it having owned the unit since late June 2018. I heard a faint ringing noise in the left channel on some newly purchased hi-res tracks. I initially thought it was the file, but I switched to my speakers running off of my onboard sound card and the ringing was not present. I then went into Sound control panel -> playback tab -> Schiit -> properties -> advanced -> test. The ringing was really obvious on the left / right audio test. Turning the unit off and back on again immediately fixed the issue. The best way I can describe the ringing is that it sounded like a "crystalize" or "sitar" patch on a cheap guitar effects unit. ...kind of like a resonating ring filter or similar.

They all do this occasionally. It's pretty rare, a power cycle clear's it up. I emailed schiit about it awhile back and they played dumb, but I know they can't not know about it. I think modi-multibit users sometimes experience it too with USB. My theory is just usb driver foolery. I've not experienced it since I turned off usb power management in windows settings.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #6,020 of 6,469
They all do this occasionally. It's pretty rare, a power cycle clear's it up. I emailed schiit about it awhile back and they played dumb, but I know they can't not know about it. I think modi-multibit users sometimes experience it too with USB. My theory is just usb driver foolery. I've not experienced it since I turned off usb power management in windows settings.

I’ll report that mine hasn’t done the right channel ringing for over a month now, happened to me twice since installing the multi bit (installed Dec 12th, 2018) but both times was within the first two weeks of install. On windows 10.

Feb 2, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #6,021 of 6,469
Hi Scutey, see you are considering a Jotenhiem, a new member on the Euforia thread, triggsviola, has experience with what you are looking for you may want to reconsider. His thoughts are on page 366, he is online right now if you care to engage. He just got his Euforia and has some nice equipment with lots of phones. Good luck.

https://www.wikileaf.com/strain/euforia/

Kinda not even similar things here except both are headphone amps.

Love my Jot :L3000:

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #6,022 of 6,469

Schiit knows about it and they were the ones that recommended power cycling to clear up the ringing. Incidentally I only use Toslink and Coaxial inputs and have experienced the ringing. Yep, power cycle your Mimby once in a while and it will be fine.

Feb 3, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #6,023 of 6,469
giphy.gif

Feb 4, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #6,024 of 6,469
Hi cf, apologies for not replying sooner, thanks for letting me know, I will take a look, I was after another amp, for casual listening, so it will be valuable info!.

Feb 18, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #6,025 of 6,469
Hello guys,
I have been listened to the ModiMultibit/Magni3 combo for 6 months. I like the combo because it is very detailed. But now I find its sound to be too thick and have a dim in the upper mids range paired with my LCD-2 and v-shaped paired with my DBA-02 iem.
Can you guys please tell me how much the Jot sounds less thick and v-shaped compared to the Magni3?
Sorry for my English and thank you!

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #6,026 of 6,469
I have not compared the two.

But the jotunheim is certainly not thick. It is very neutral.

Feb 18, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #6,027 of 6,469
Hello guys,
I have been listened to the ModiMultibit/Magni3 combo for 6 months. I like the combo because it is very detailed. But now I find its sound to be too thick and have a dim in the upper mids range paired with my LCD-2 and v-shaped paired with my DBA-02 iem.
Can you guys please tell me how much the Jot sounds less thick and v-shaped compared to the Magni3?
Sorry for my English and thank you!

I started out with the original Magni (and Modi), then upgraded to the Magni 2U. Eventually upgraded to the Jotunheim (because I was interested in going balanced) when it came out. I still have the Jotunheim and have no plans on replacing it. It is a cleaner sounding amp than the Magni's but still a bit on the bright side but no where as harsh sounding as the those Magni's. I tried various headphones with it but my favourite combo is with the HD6XX (stock cable re-terminated to XLR) with Dekoni Elite Velour (which nicely calms down the treble) and the Modi MB.

They do know about it! They recommended the reboot to fix the problem...which it does.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #6,030 of 6,469
Just upgraded from Magni 3 to the Jot. Even with the SE output this thing sounds amazing. I am waiting for balanced cables to come in for my 1060, 6XX and Argon headphones.

IMG_20190403_143416.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back