Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Apr 15, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #4,396 of 6,468
From the 400i Product page: 93dB. Impedance : 35 Ohms

Either your hearing is really bad, or your source volume is low? Either way, in the case of the Jotunheim because of the huge difference in power output, balanced will give you more headroom and better sound in general. I was able to get HE6s to volume at 1oclock on high gain, so these will destroy your 400i's in balanced.

Thanks for replying to my question!

I will try to change the source, but know a balanced cable is a wise move to make not just for more headroom but also for the length of cable.

Where have peeps purchased their HE-400i cables from?

Thank you for yours and others help!

Cheers

Apr 15, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #4,397 of 6,468
Thanks for replying to my question!

I will try to change the source, but know a balanced cable is a wise move to make not just for more headroom but also for the length of cable.

Where have peeps purchased their HE-400i cables from?

Thank you for yours and others help!

Cheers

I got one of mine from c3audio.com. No frills but a solid well built cable.

Apr 15, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #4,399 of 6,468
Good Evening Ladies & Gents!

I do hope all is well with all :)

Based on discussions with a really nice chap who I got speaking with on this thread @LDBaha about the differences between using an SE connection or the XLR4 connection I recalled that Schiit had kindly given the numbers and the difference between SE and XLR4 connections....There is a very large difference between SE and Balanced Output as you can see below;

Balanced Headphone Output:
Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 7500mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 5000mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 3000mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 900mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 500mW RMS per channel

Single-Ended Headphone Output:
Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 2500mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 1500mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 800mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 350mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 175mW RMS per channel

Hot damn there is a serious amount of power available when using the Balanced Output in comparison to the Single Ended.

If it had not been for my HE400i, I would not have looked further and then remembered...about available power through the XLR4 connection! I then thought I wonder how many Jot peeps may not be using their beautiful AMP / DAC to its fullest ability.

A question is that if you made a cable with a male 4 pin with say 15cm of copper/silver or UNICORN hair  (hehe) and then a female 6.3mm socket, can you then hook up all your headphones through the socket that way and tap into the available power? May just be a foolish / stupid thought?

I am someone who is very new and is very interested in all things audio and appreciates those who take their time to fully explain things to which I owe a <ASSIVE thank you to you all who make Head-Fi what it is.....Audio Paradise :)

Cheers :)

Apr 15, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #4,400 of 6,468
Do not under any circumstances connect unbalanced cable to a balanced source. You will short the grounds and you could ruin the amp.

Apr 15, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #4,401 of 6,468

If the item is in stock normally the same day, or next day, if you ordered late in the day.

Weekends do not count.
biggrin.gif

I ordered mid-day on the 12th. I see the order taken... but no communication after that.

I put my order in early in morning and had a shipping confirmation by noon their time

I don't mind waiting... I mean, I buy things from China and assume 3 weeks wait... but at least you get some time of updates from them. I haven't heard anything from Schiit after initial order acceptance. If they need to build the unit, that is fine... just say something.

Apr 15, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #4,402 of 6,468
I ordered mid-day on the 12th. I see the order taken... but no communication after that.

I don't mind waiting... I mean, I buy things from China and assume 3 weeks wait... but at least you get some time of updates from them. I haven't heard anything from Schiit after initial order acceptance. If they need to build the unit, that is fine... just say something.

That's exactly what happened to me. Radio silence until I emailed them 7 days later. The next day they shipped my order

Apr 15, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #4,403 of 6,468
That's exactly what happened to me. Radio silence until I emailed them 7 days later. The next day they shipped my order

That is poor customer service. They need to get their Schiit together. My first 3 orders were not like that.

Apr 15, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #4,404 of 6,468
I've been following this thread for quite some time, and I was wondering if there were more people who had impressions of how the HD800 S (or 800 SDR) sounded like with this amp (and the DAC unit). I understand that the regular HD800 sounds quite bad with this amp, but what about the modded versions?

Apr 16, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #4,405 of 6,468
Do not under any circumstances connect unbalanced cable to a balanced source. You will short the grounds and you could ruin the amp.

Thank you for highlighting what could be a serious accident. This is why I ask....

Would you be so kind to go a few steps further and explain why? Is it to do with a basic mismatch of wiring from the terminations or something else??

So my lesson today and that goes for us all is never to plug in an unbalanced cable to a balanced out.

Cheers

:)

Apr 16, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #4,407 of 6,468
Thank you for highlighting what could be a serious accident. This is why I ask....

Would you be so kind to go a few steps further and explain why? Is it to do with a basic mismatch of wiring from the terminations or something else??

So my lesson today and that goes for us all is never to plug in an unbalanced cable to a balanced out.

Cheers

:)

You would be shorting the ground of each side together. In a typical balanced amp both sides are completely separate and connecting them together like this can cause problems. I am by no means an electrician or expert on the matter, this is just what I've always been told.

Apr 16, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #4,408 of 6,468
@Share2Care You can always purchase 2 of these...

and one of these

Grab some Mogami wire and just make your headphones balanced.

Here's even a pic to help you....

I'm actually doing something a little different. I'm going from 4pin XLR (on Jot side) to a female 2.5mm TRRS connector. I have 2 Balanced earphones now, but will be balancing my Sine and building a cable for my other headphones (including one for the TH-X00).

Apr 16, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #4,409 of 6,468
My Schiit was shipped the same day I ordered. Took 3 days to reach Montreal, which is pretty impressive. But now, well... it's been 7 days since my Jot is waiting for being cleared at the Customs in Montreal. I understand we're on holidays, but come on...
angry_face.gif

Apr 17, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #4,410 of 6,468
  My Schiit was shipped the same day I ordered. Took 3 days to reach Montreal, which is pretty impressive. But now, well... it's been 7 days since my Jot is waiting for being cleared at the Customs in Montreal. I understand we're on holidays, but come on...
angry_face.gif

I just canceled my Jot order. There was no indication on the website that they were "weeks" behind. They notified me on Sunday that it was "ready to ship", but then today told me that I wouldn't see the unit for a few weeks as they are backlogged and I was in the Queue for my unit (again, weeks away).

So now, I think I'm going to look at Audio-GD or others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back