Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Mar 16, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #4,142 of 6,468
If I use a non-balanced DAC (Mod Multibit) with the Jotunheim, will the balanced output on the amp still sound better than the single-ended output, or does it not make an audible difference since the DAC isn't balanced, too.

I know it would still output more power with the balanced output with a non-balanced DAC, but I'd like to know if having just the amp balanced will sound better than the single-ended output.

Mar 16, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #4,146 of 6,468
I was asking if, even with a non-balanced DAC, if the balanced headphone output would sound better than the single-ended headphone output. (Besides output power, would it sound better)

Yes, I think the balanced out sounds a bit better (I've only used the jot with the SE input). I assume it is because of the increase in available output power.

Mar 16, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #4,148 of 6,468

First of all, the Jot makes an excellent companion for the NH (and for the 650 for that matter). The "synergy" between the headphone and amp is simply exceptional. I also listen to jazz and classical and often use the NH to listen to this type of music. 

With this being said, I don't think that it's fair to say that the NH is "uncolored" as you say you're looking for. IMO it certainly has an added level of warmth but so does the hd650. For me, the NH is a fair bit better with classical which I wasn't expecting. BUT, my go to headphone for classical is still the hd800 with a little gentle EQ. The Jot with DAC is near perfect with the NH even outperforming AQ's own DFR in terms of synergy to my ears. 

I enjoy the NH and it's in regular rotation for me. My advice is to find an original wood version at half the price (or less) than current NH Carbon. 

Good luck! 

Thanks for the help

Mar 17, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #4,149 of 6,468
Hi all, new to Head-fi. This tax season I was looking to up my audio game. I am coming from a $40 dollar USB dongle to the Jotunheim for my headphone amp which I recently ordered and I'm waiting for shipment. 

And as far as headphones go I only have one pair, just a KRK KNS-8400 studio can (similar to M50X with less bass). I pre-ordered the MrSpeakers Aeon as my step-up pair for the Jotunheim. 

Can someone comment on excellent pairings with this amp under $1K per headphone? Looking for great sounding cans for the money that will complement the Aeon. 

My personal preferences to music are rock, metal, alternative, RnB, hip hop, dance, etc. I am also a drummer so I like balanced headphones with some bass. 

Started looking at MassDrop offerings, such as the Sennheiser 6XX, the AKG K7XX, the Fostex TH-X00. With my end-game offerings (over $1K) being the MrSpeakers Ether Flow Open and Closed models and possibly ZMF Eikon.

Any other suggestions? Suggestions on great pairings? Been following Z-Reviews on YouTube to get a general idea of the kind of headphones I like. 

Mar 17, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #4,150 of 6,468
Hi all, new to Head-fi. This tax season I was looking to up my audio game. I am coming from a $40 dollar USB dongle to the Jotunheim for my headphone amp which I recently ordered and I'm waiting for shipment. 

And as far as headphones go I only have one pair, just a KRK KNS-8400 studio can (similar to M50X with less bass). I pre-ordered the MrSpeakers Aeon as my step-up pair for the Jotunheim. 

Can someone comment on excellent pairings with this amp under $1K per headphone? Looking for great sounding cans for the money that will complement the Aeon. 

My personal preferences to music are rock, metal, alternative, RnB, hip hop, dance, etc. I am also a drummer so I like balanced headphones with some bass. 

Started looking at MassDrop offerings, such as the Sennheiser 6XX, the AKG K7XX, the Fostex TH-X00. With my end-game offerings (over $1K) being the MrSpeakers Ether Flow Open and Closed models and possibly ZMF Eikon.

Any other suggestions? Suggestions on great pairings? Been following Z-Reviews on YouTube to get a general idea of the kind of headphones I like. 

I love my HD650s on the Jotunheim. Balanced output makes them shine.

Mar 17, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #4,151 of 6,468
I love my HD650s on the Jotunheim. Balanced output makes them shine.

I have tested both 650s and K702s with Jot and I must say that I definitely prefer the K702 because of the bigger and more airy soundstage. Havent tested them balanced though.

Mar 17, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #4,152 of 6,468

I have tested both 650s and K702s with Jot and I must say that I definitely prefer the K702 because of the bigger and more airy soundstage. Havent tested them balanced though.

I'm not a soundstage junkie, I like open cans better than closed but that's about as far as my preferences go.

Mar 17, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #4,153 of 6,468

NOTE:  If you can't see the embedded video above, please CLICK HERE to see the video.

In this episode of Head-Fi TV, we get a first look at the new Schiit Audio Jotunheim, which Schiit is calling a configurable balanced headphone amp and preamp--or even a "configurable desktop center"--but that most of us will probably end up calling something else.

Products mentioned and/or shown in the video:

1. Schiit Audio Jotunheim configurable balanced headphone amp and preamp
  2. Schiit Audio Fulla portable USB DAC/amp
  3. Schiit Audio Magni 2 amplifier
  4. Schiit Audio Modi 2 DAC
  5. Schiit Audio Bifrost DAC
  6. Ultrasone Tribute 7 over-ear headphone
  7. HiFiMAN HE-6 over-ear headphone
  8. beyerdynamic T1 2nd Generation over-ear headphone
  9. Sennheiser HD 800 over-ear headphone
  10. Sennheiser HD 800S over-ear headphone
  11. Schiit Audio Ragnarok desktop amplifier
  12. Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC
  13. Westone ES60 Custom custom in-ear monitor
  14. Jerry Harvey Audio Siren Series Roxanne custom in-ear monitor
  15. Noble Audio Kaiser 10 custom in-ear monitor
  16. beyerdynamic + Astell&Kern AK T8iE universal-fit in-ear monitor
  17. Sennheiser IE 800 universal-fit in-ear monitor
  18. FitEar MH334 custom in-ear monitor
  19. HiFiMAN HE1000 planar magnetic, over-ear headphone
  20. Focal Elear over-ear headphone
  21. Focal Utopia over-ear headphone
  22. MrSpeakers ETHER Flow open, over-ear headphone
  23. ETHER C Flow closed, over-ear headphone
  24. Audeze LCD-4 open, planar magnetic over-ear headphone
  25. ENIGMAcoustics Dharma D-1000 electrostatic over-ear headphone
  26. beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO over-ear headphone
  27. HiFiMAN Edition X over-ear headphone
  28. AudioQuest NightHawk over-ear headphone
  29. Mitchell & Johnson ME2 hybrid electrostatic electrodynamic over-ear headphone
  30. Schiit Audio Mjolnir 2 desktop tube amplifier
  31. Schiit Audio Gungnir desktop DAC
  32. Fostex TH900mk2 over-ear headphone

Schiit Audio Jotunheim - Head-Fi TV produced by Joseph Cwik and Jude Mansilla

Hi Jude,

I want to use Jotunheim as a DAC/AMP when connected to my desktop and also want to use it an AMP only with my HD650 through X5 3 DAP via line out. If I want to use the balanced out on the AMP, do I have to connect the input from X5 3's line out or 2.5mm balanced out?

Mar 17, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #4,154 of 6,468
Hi Jude,

I want to use Jotunheim as a DAC/AMP when connected to my desktop and also want to use it an AMP only with my HD650 through X5 3 DAP via line out. If I want to use the balanced out on the AMP, do I have to connect the input from X5 3's line out or 2.5mm balanced out?

You can connect to either input on the Jotunheim to use its balanced headphone output, but gain varies depending on the input/output combo. Here is the gain for each possible input/output/gain combo on the Jotunheim:

1. SE in, SE out, low gain  2
  2. SE in, SE out, high gain  4.7
  3. SE in, balanced out, low gain 2.1
  4. SE in, balanced out, high gain 7.4
  5. balanced in, SE out, low gain  1.1
  6. balanced in, SE out, high gain  3.75
  7. balanced in, balanced out, low gain 2.2
  8. balanced in, balanced out, high gain 7.5

(Thanks to Jason Stoddard for the above gain information.)

Mar 17, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #4,155 of 6,468
interesting. little difference between se/bal input with bal output

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back