Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Feb 20, 2017 at 2:09 AM Post #3,856 of 6,468
Hopefully the Freya can help in the bright dept. I understand fully that tubes can be the make/break for the hd800
More like the HD800 is a bright headphone and the JOT does nothing to amend it. Nothing you can't fix with Good EQ if your determined to use them together though ~ some headphones and amps just don't go great together, but once you reach a high level of performance, they can be EQ'ed quite effectively. This is true for the entire high end spectrum of gear. People spending so much money/time/effort to synergize  their gear, seriously need to read the headfi thread on how to eq your headphones.

Your in for a treat AverageGuyNC, I came from the O2/Dac combo and have been quite happy with the JOT. The 02's no joke, but I prefer the musicality of this combo, I mostly upgraded for practicality reasons, my O2 was the original version and those wire's going all over the place were un-managable, I also needed a pre-amp for my JBL LSR305's, and this combo is excellent as a one box solution, robust volume control, excellent pre-amp, balanced cables to my JBL's is nice too.. The audio improvements were just icing on the cake.

Feb 20, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #3,858 of 6,468
How good of a fit is Jot for new top 40 stuff? Rap, rock, pop, dance-electronic? What's a good amp for that?

For the relatively few rock and rock-inflected jazz albums I have, I like what I hear. To remind myself, I just cued up Cracker's "Low" from their key album "Kerosene Hat." Ripped from the CD, details of my headphone setup below. Great separation between drums, voices, and electric guitars. Drums come though with authority, sharp attack, the initial dum hit really woke me up after a nice day-off lunch. Part of this is the great synergy between Jot and Ether C Flows, part the very clean mid-to-upper frequencies from the multibit Bifrost DAC.

Feb 20, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #3,859 of 6,468
i ended ordering a lyr2 and an audio gd c 2 11 anniversary..
i will keep which one i like the most.
i didn't want to go balance every time i buy a can... after market cables are too expensive and i'm not able to build them myself...

Feb 21, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #3,862 of 6,468
mine is in belgium. i hope to receive this week
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 21, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #3,863 of 6,468
I received my Bimby (Bifrost Multibit) today and wanted to share some early impressions.  I've got it connected to my Jotunheim and was comparing the Bimby to the Jot's internal DAC.

First, out of the box the Bimby feels very heavy and well built.  One slight annoyance is Schiit changed the aluminum finish on the Jotunheim, so the two devices don't entirely match; to the casual glance, they look a slightly different shade of grade.  I'll get over it.

I was a little worried that after spending $600 on the Bimby, I'd find the difference between it and the Jot's internal DAC to be negligible.  When I previously compared the internal DAC to my Chord Mojo, that was the case - but thankfully, the Bimby is clearly superior.  It's hard to quantify the difference; at first, I would have said the Jot's internal DAC sounded 98% of the Bimby's performance, but in time the difference becomes more noticeable, so now the internal DAC has dropped down to 95% or less in my estimation - and I expect the Bimby to only get better as it burns-in (or even just warms up, since some owners report it sounds better after being powered for a couple days), and as my ears get more time to discern the subtle differences.

To compare two two DACs, I had separate Macs connected and used Audirvana synced with the same tracks.  I could then switch between the two, though I had to slightly adjust the volume knob to match volumes as I switched.

So what sounds different?  The Bimby sounds much more detailed, making nuances more noticeable on the Bimby.  At first I could hear the difference most clearly in the bass region (and also there was more authority in the bass on the Bimby, which is likely due to the improved power supply), but as I focused in on various instruments I could hear the difference across the entire frequency range.  Being a guitarist and keyboard player I know well the sound of acoustic guitar, acoustic piano, etc - and the Bimby conveys the realism much better, and exposes nuances in the timbre and articulation.  A good example is the fretboard/string buzz on a plucked upright bass, where the Bimby clearly reproduces it with more realism and detail.  And forgetting nitpicking the differences between the two, the Bimby just better conveys the magic of music better.

Is it worth $600?  I think many would likely be happy with the internal DAC (which is an incredible value) or the Modi Multibit (at least from what others say, since I haven't heard it).  For me though, I wanted the Bifrost's form factor and built in power supply - and the upgradability is a bonus.  I think it'll be my end-game DAC, so with that in mind it's worth the $600.

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #3,864 of 6,468
  I received my Bimby (Bifrost Multibit) today and wanted to share some early impressions.  I've got it connected to my Jotunheim and was comparing the Bimby to the Jot's internal DAC.

First, out of the box the Bimby feels very heavy and well built.  One slight annoyance is Schiit changed the aluminum finish on the Jotunheim, so the two devices don't entirely match; to the casual glance, they look a slightly different shade of grade.  I'll get over it.

I was a little worried that after spending $600 on the Bimby, I'd find the difference between it and the Jot's internal DAC to be negligible.  When I previously compared the internal DAC to my Chord Mojo, that was the case - but thankfully, the Bimby is clearly superior.  It's hard to quantify the difference; at first, I would have said the Jot's internal DAC sounded 98% of the Bimby's performance, but in time the difference becomes more noticeable, so now the internal DAC has dropped down to 95% or less in my estimation - and I expect the Bimby to only get better as it burns-in (or even just warms up, since some owners report it sounds better after being powered for a couple days), and as my ears get more time to discern the subtle differences.

To compare two two DACs, I had separate Macs connected and used Audirvana synced with the same tracks.  I could then switch between the two, though I had to slightly adjust the volume knob to match volumes as I switched.

So what sounds different?  The Bimby sounds much more detailed, making nuances more noticeable on the Bimby.  At first I could hear the difference most clearly in the bass region (and also there was more authority in the bass on the Bimby, which is likely due to the improved power supply), but as I focused in on various instruments I could hear the difference across the entire frequency range.  Being a guitarist and keyboard player I know well the sound of acoustic guitar, acoustic piano, etc - and the Bimby conveys the realism much better, and exposes nuances in the timbre and articulation.  A good example is the fretboard/string buzz on a plucked upright bass, where the Bimby clearly reproduces it with more realism and detail.  And forgetting nitpicking the differences between the two, the Bimby just better conveys the magic of music better.

Is it worth $600?  I think many would likely be happy with the internal DAC (which is an incredible value) or the Modi Multibit (at least from what others say, since I haven't heard it).  For me though, I wanted the Bifrost's form factor and built in power supply - and the upgradability is a bonus.  I think it'll be my end-game DAC, so with that in mind it's worth the $600.

Thank you so much for your report. I did have similar finding when I A/B the internal DAC to my previous DAC using ES9028 (Both are high performance Delta-Sigma DAC). I hardly find any difference when I flip input switch back and forth. I was very struggle to get a MB (Modi MB as my 1st choice). Now I am convinced. Thanks Schiit with the 15 days return scheme, even I was not happy with it, I can return it (But the round trip shipping cost for mimby is around 20% +15% restocking...ar.... only 65% back @_@.... )

Feb 22, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #3,865 of 6,468
I'd urge caution with regards to the volume mismatch. even a 0.5 DB increase in volume is easily detctable, and will very much sway your opinion. I've noticed the Internal dac has lower volume then most stand alone dac's. It must not be putting out 2.0v RMS.

Feb 22, 2017 at 3:47 AM Post #3,866 of 6,468
  mine is in belgium. i hope to receive this week
tongue_smile.gif

Good for you! When did you order?

I've placed and paid for my order in December and have been waiting since then. The distributor is not very responsive. It's getting a bit frustrating.

Feb 22, 2017 at 4:00 AM Post #3,867 of 6,468

Good for you! When did you order?

I've placed and paid for my order in December and have been waiting since then. The distributor is not very responsive. It's getting a bit frustrating.

It´s the same from netherland? i´ve ordered mine 8th, this month. they answered my mails

Feb 22, 2017 at 4:50 AM Post #3,868 of 6,468
  It´s the same from netherland? i´ve ordered mine 8th, this month. they answered my mails

Yes, Sonority Audio in Netherlands. Their CS rep is called Melinda. I would imagine they would treat with priority someone who's placed a EUR 1000 order for Bifrost and Jotun some 2-3 months ago, but alas.

Bifrost shipped back in Dec. Asked about status of my Jot yesterday for the 3rd time - no reply as of yet.

Feb 22, 2017 at 4:56 AM Post #3,869 of 6,468

Yes, Sonority Audio in Netherlands. Their CS rep is called Melinda. I would imagine they would treat with priority someone who's placed a EUR 1000 order for Bifrost and Jotun some 2-3 months ago, but alas.

Bifrost shipped back in Dec. Asked about status of my Jot yesterday for the 3rd time - no reply as of yet.

me too, i spoke with Melinda. really strange becaus she wrote to me a date for availability of Jot and i ordered conforming the day. after i waited 10 days for shipment.
if you paid with paypal, at least you´re guaranteed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back