Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Feb 9, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #3,676 of 6,469
All very good things come to those who wait.  

Has anything concrete materialized from this hint from Schiit yet (it was an answer to a post describing the slightly awkward market position of the Bitfrost MB after the release of the Modi 2 MB)? I wanna buy the Jotunheim now, but I am torn on what dac solution I should choose. An imminent upgrade of the Bitfrost or the Jotunheim internal DAC would affect my decision.

Edit; I see there is talk about a "project manhattan" in another thread, supposedly some DSP that they hope to introduce at several price points, could maybe trickle its way to the Bitfrost?

Feb 9, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #3,679 of 6,469
Thank you for taking the time to answer and I can also read further on that there is a real difference between the two options of balanced internal DAC andna Multibit.

I think at this point I will get an all in one Jot and then some point after I have bought my HD650 and HE400i I will then invest in hardware again.

One other question is about cables. Suchbas USB A to B for the DAC or an RCA to 3.5mm connection can cost £20 all the way to the thousands.

Cheers!
smily_headphones1.gif

The Schiit PYST USB cable is a good cable and only costs $20.  For RCA to 3.5, I think the AudioQuest Tower series is a good value for around $20+ (depending in the cable length).

Feb 9, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #3,680 of 6,469
I'm pretty impressed with blue jean cables. No nonsense and they feel great. They killed the hum on my turntable.

Feb 9, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #3,681 of 6,469
The Schiit PYST USB cable is a good cable and only costs $20.  For RCA to 3.5, I think the AudioQuest Tower series is a good value for around $20+ (depending in the cable length).

That is great Mark, thanks.

With rumours going around and am pretty sure there is not much room for MB balanced DAC in the Jot, with your thoughts on it which are really appreciated, shall I just stick to Jot amd DAC and see where Schiit lies (Pun Intended.. Ha!) in a few months? Also hopefully I do not purchase a Jot and then either a Jot 2.0 or a new blend appears. Can always wait for the new releases, especially after the good things happen?!

Cheers :)

Feb 10, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #3,683 of 6,469
They now say "10 febr. sold out - new stock coming soon" on their site which I interpret as them having had that in stock yesterday, but being Dutch and spelling weird English I'm not sure. Well, hopefully they'll ship them to the customers soon.

see this page: http://www.schiit-europe.com/index.php/producten/amps.html
now only the version with dac is out of stock. normal version and phono version are in stock.
Otherwise, the stock of dac version, from wednesday, has been sold in two days

Feb 10, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #3,684 of 6,469
  see this page: http://www.schiit-europe.com/index.php/producten/amps.html
now only the version with dac is out of stock. normal version and phono version are in stock.
Otherwise, the stock of dac version, from wednesday, has been sold in two days

I asked them and they checked that my order should be send next Friday or the following Monday. :)

Feb 10, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #3,685 of 6,469

I asked them and they checked that my order should be send next Friday or the following Monday. :)

Sorry, i had not realized that you had already ordered.
well. we waiting both for the Jot
beerchug.gif

Feb 10, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #3,686 of 6,469
  If you're willing to wait a little, I'd recommend this guy for cables https://www.etsy.com/shop/impactaudiocables

Your conclusions about USB vs SPDIF are the same as mine, the best thing it does is free up a USB port for other stuff.

Those custom cables do look nice... I kinda wish I had tried one of those.

BUT.  Well, I already got the ... $300.00 6ft audiophile cable from c3audio.com for the HD 650 for XLR on the Jot in the mail today.

... Hm.  Honestly I didn't know what to expect lol.  And I'm uncertain what changes the cable made and what changes balanced (unbalanced input from Modi Multi) made.
Makes me really wish I could demo a bunch of cables and headphones, and A/B them with the Jot.  

What's the verdict though?  Moving from stock Sennheiser SE to c3audio XLR?
Well unfortunately, I'm more of a casual audiophile, or at least I don't have the same experience that most people here do.
What I CAN say, which you can take with a grain of salt:

It's kind of like I was wearing slightly tinted sunglasses with the Foobar2k ASIO lossless FLAC -> Optical -> Modi Multi -> PYST -> Jotunheim SE.
Some things sounded absolutely magnificent, but others... well it felt like it was missing something.

Whether it's Jot's XLR (unbalanced input though), or the magic of the $300 cable or the combination; I've taken off my tinted glasses with the new cable and it's what I wanted.
There seems to be greater clarity, and a seemingly more realistic, more believable sound.  Not sure if it made it any brighter, or the bass any less... but it just sounds full and great.
I'm quick to doubt myself, and I have poor audio memory, but before I would always have this sense that some content left something to be desired.  This just sounds better.
A bump in the direction I was hoping for!  An expensive bump... but in any case it sounds beautiful.  

I would love to hear someone else's opinion on the cable, someone who has experience and has stuff to compare it to.  The 14 day full money back return policy (under 600$) is what sold me.
...I hate that I spent so much, but it *is* wonderful.

And mostly from others: how much difference the SE vs the XLR input on the Jotunheim makes when using an unbalanced source like the Modi Multibit?

Feb 11, 2017 at 2:01 AM Post #3,688 of 6,469
  Those custom cables do look nice... I kinda wish I had tried one of those.

BUT.  Well, I already got the ... $300.00 6ft audiophile cable from c3audio.com for the HD 650 for XLR on the Jot in the mail today.

... Hm.  Honestly I didn't know what to expect lol.  And I'm uncertain what changes the cable made and what changes balanced (unbalanced input from Modi Multi) made.
Makes me really wish I could demo a bunch of cables and headphones, and A/B them with the Jot.  

What's the verdict though?  Moving from stock Sennheiser SE to c3audio XLR?
Well unfortunately, I'm more of a casual audiophile, or at least I don't have the same experience that most people here do.
What I CAN say, which you can take with a grain of salt:

It's kind of like I was wearing slightly tinted sunglasses with the Foobar2k ASIO lossless FLAC -> Optical -> Modi Multi -> PYST -> Jotunheim SE.
Some things sounded absolutely magnificent, but others... well it felt like it was missing something.

Whether it's Jot's XLR (unbalanced input though), or the magic of the $300 cable or the combination; I've taken off my tinted glasses with the new cable and it's what I wanted.
There seems to be greater clarity, and a seemingly more realistic, more believable sound.  Not sure if it made it any brighter, or the bass any less... but it just sounds full and great.
I'm quick to doubt myself, and I have poor audio memory, but before I would always have this sense that some content left something to be desired.  This just sounds better.
A bump in the direction I was hoping for!  An expensive bump... but in any case it sounds beautiful.  

I would love to hear someone else's opinion on the cable, someone who has experience and has stuff to compare it to.  The 14 day full money back return policy (under 600$) is what sold me.
...I hate that I spent so much, but it *is* wonderful.

And mostly from others: how much difference the SE vs the XLR input on the Jotunheim makes when using an unbalanced source like the Modi Multibit?

$300 for a cable could have been used on a better amp, better quality audio, or a better/another headphone
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back