Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jan 31, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #3,586 of 6,468
  No disappointment here. Initial impressions: Wow!
L3000.gif

Welcome to the Jot club...

beerchug.gif

Feb 1, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #3,589 of 6,468
LOL...So True!

Feb 1, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #3,590 of 6,468
Seems the lead times on the website are fairly conservative. Mine was scheduled to ship on the week of the 13th, Fed Ex told me last week to expect it this Friday, and it showed up at my doorstep yesterday. Very pleased with it so far when paired with my GS1000s (though, I'll admit that shoving a 1/4" TRS and a galvanized nail into a lemon would produce enough current to drive them to the threshold of pain). Now just to count down the days until my ZMF Eikon finally gets in. 

Feb 1, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #3,591 of 6,468
ok then...i will just order it...now..:)

Feb 2, 2017 at 3:26 AM Post #3,592 of 6,468
Jotunheim with DAC unit doesn't work on my laptops (2 Dell, 1 Asus). Installed Schiit_USB_1_03 driver on Windows 10. I have checked and tried ALL the volume setting, disable enhancement, etc.

The headphone volume output is just way too low to hear anything even in a quiet room. If the laptop is powered from power plug, the headphone volume appeared to be slightly louder, but still way too low to hear.

Someone previously mentioned that the DAC is dependant on usb power. Maybe the laptops are not able to power the dac, thus low volume on headphones

Jotunheim works fine if it's connected to my desktop, headphone volume is loud and normal.

I'm not happy with Jotunheim as it's not working on laptops and the tech support is the real ****. The tech support didn't care about anything by just repeatedly replied with dumb answers or just no response at all.

Feb 2, 2017 at 3:35 AM Post #3,593 of 6,468
Literally just popped in here, but regarding driver issues:  Try disabling secure boot.  Windows 10 Anniversary update is a pain when it comes to drivers.

Feb 2, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #3,594 of 6,468
Jotunheim with DAC unit doesn't work on my laptops (2 Dell, 1 Asus). Installed Schiit_USB_1_03 driver on Windows 10. I have checked and tried ALL the volume setting, disable enhancement, etc.

The headphone volume output is just way too low to hear anything even in a quiet room. If the laptop is powered from power plug, the headphone volume appeared to be slightly louder, but still way too low to hear.

Someone previously mentioned that the DAC is dependant on usb power. Maybe the laptops are not able to power the dac, thus low volume on headphones

Jotunheim works fine if it's connected to my desktop, headphone volume is loud and normal.

I'm not happy with Jotunheim as it's not working on laptops and the tech support is the real ****. The tech support didn't care about anything by just repeatedly replied with dumb answers or just no response at all.

Works fine with my laptops...

beerchug.gif

Feb 2, 2017 at 5:16 AM Post #3,595 of 6,468
... Someone previously mentioned that the DAC is dependant on usb power. Maybe the laptops are not able to power the dac, thus low volume on headphones ...

I believe only the USB receiver is powered by the source USB the rest by the Jot's power, the only way a working Jot will give a low output is if the input has been cut down by a digital volume control, is your player set to 100% volume and your windows sound set to 100% ?

Feb 2, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #3,596 of 6,468
I believe only the USB receiver is powered by the source USB the rest by the Jot's power, the only way a working Jot will give a low output is if the input has been cut down by a digital volume control, is your player set to 100% volume and your windows sound set to 100% ?

Yes, all volume are set to 100%.

I just tried connecting jotunheim to a laptop with a 3.5mm to RCA cable. Laptop -> onboard soundcard -> jotunheim -> headphone

Headphone is loud and sound.

So i believe the problem is on the DAC unit or usb power/signal

Feb 2, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #3,598 of 6,468
Zoozooka can you tell us what device manager says you're audio inputs/output says?  I had some trouble initially getting the correct Schiit driver to install on my laptop.  Here's what it should look like for the Jot.  

Feb 2, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #3,599 of 6,468
Well I've read about as much of this thread that I could stand and I'm almost convinced that this can be my endgame DAC/Amp for my desktop. 

Right now, I'm using an Apogee Groove to drive my LCD-XC and I'm quite happy with it.  It drives my XCs quite easily, but it seems like the Jotunheim with the DAC module could give me a little extra oomph.  I know this is a weird comparison, but is there anyone out there that has listened to both? Obviously the Jotenheim has more power than the Groove, but does the DAC module sound better than the Groove?

Feb 2, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #3,600 of 6,468
My jodie is on the way...yeahhh...the est time on the website really conservative....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back