Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jan 24, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #3,541 of 6,468
  From the comments in this thread, it sounds like the general consensus is that the Jot's internal DAC is a waste of money and everyone should forgo it for something better.

So why the hell did Schiit make such a **** DAC?  Is it really that bad, or is it a problem with perception?  Did Schiit come out with a DAC/Amp combo where the DAC only checks the box of "DAC Included"?

I really wish the Schiit team would join in to comment on the relative merit.  It sound like people think this Schitt DAC is ****.  I suspect it's better than most give it credit.

You clearly haven't read a whole lot of the thread. I've read every single post and most people really like it for what it's worth. That's one heck of a DAC for 100 $.

Jan 24, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #3,542 of 6,468

You clearly haven't read a whole lot of the thread. I've read every single post and most people really like it for what it's worth. That's one heck of a DAC for 100 $.

Most advice seems to be to skip it and to buy a Mimby instead, though there are some people who have actually tried it and like it.

I ordered my Jot with the internal DAC and am hopeful.

Jan 24, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #3,543 of 6,468
Most advice seems to be to skip it and to buy a Mimby instead, though there are some people who have actually tried it and like it.

They're just different implementations. The Jot's internal DAC is a delta-sigma type and the Modi Multibit is, well, a multibit or R2R type. I personally prefer the latter but it's probably not going to be a knocks-your-socks-off difference. If I was going to give the Jot as a gift, I would add the DAC to make it an easy all-in-one solution and not think twice about it.

Jan 24, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #3,544 of 6,468
They're just different implementations. The Jot's internal DAC is a delta-sigma type and the Modi Multibit is, well, a multibit or R2R type. I personally prefer the latter but it's probably not going to be a knocks-your-socks-off difference. If I was going to give the Jot as a gift, I would add the DAC to make it an easy all-in-one solution and not think twice about it.

Hey, it's me, your awardee!

Jan 24, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #3,545 of 6,468
I personally prefer the latter 

You mean...you prefer the ladder
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 24, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #3,547 of 6,468

It's a great DAC, especially as a $100 add on. Worth every penny. 

I think that, if you misinterpreted the "general" feel of the thread, it's just a testament to how good Schiit stuff really is, and what a value it is. The Jot at $400 is jaw-dropping. It's DAC at $100 is impressive (just not as impressive as the Jot).

The Mimby is a different beast all together, a separate piece, and significantly more expensive (2.5x). So, yeah, it's better than the Jot's DAC, but that should be a given. 

Jan 24, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #3,550 of 6,468
  * The Valhalla 2 clearly has a taller and deeper soundstage than the Jotunheim so you can better place yourself relative to sounds you hear in 3D space (e.g. "I hear someone talking 2 feet behind and 3 feet to the right of me"). With the Jot, it's more like sounds slide left-to-right in 2D space (e.g. "I hear someone talking into my ear"). It's similar to the difference in immersion between the HD650 and cheap headphones that constantly remind you that you're listening on headphones -- you don't "disappear" into the music. The Jot constantly reminds me that I am no longer immersed in 3D sound space as far as live recordings go... but for digitally produced music with a lot of reverb this isn't an issue and I think if I didn't have the Valhalla 2 for comparison, I wouldn't miss the 3D effect as much. My volume limit is lower with the Jot due to the more aggressive treble, which also doesn't help for immersion purposes. Stock Russian tubes

That's interesting, you're the second person who's mentioned that the depth of the soundstage really gets squeezed to be more 2D with the Jot, and both of you have used the HD650s... I wonder if it's specifically the combo with the HD650s, as haven't really heard that feedback from others in this thread.

Jan 25, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #3,553 of 6,468
Anyone try the Meredian Explorer 2 in the Jot? Want to use the MQA decoding for Tidal. The E2 amp section is underwhelming for sure.

Jan 25, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #3,555 of 6,468
  Thanks for that elaborate feedback.  Been going back and forth between the Valhalla 2 and Jot.  Which do you prefer for a HD650?  I kinda just wanna go Jot then get the Saga for a pre with remote.

Probably depends on what kind of music you listen to. But from all I've been reading about the Saga, including its excellent measurements, and the recommendation of the "Jotaga" from ears I trust, I'll probably be doing that myself in the future. At the very least, you probably won't regret doing it. You can also pick up a used Valhalla 2 for fairly cheap down the line if you decide you have to have one.

Right now I think the Vali 2 + Jot is a great combination. I haven't had the impulse to switch back to the Valhalla 2 to compare again, heh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back