Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Nov 28, 2016 at 4:10 AM Post #2,673 of 6,468
  Mine died a week and a half ago. Schiit took 4 days to get back to my service request, after which I'd already left for holiday vacation. Just got the email telling me to pay to send it in to them myself.

Buyer beware I guess. It was great when it worked, for what it's worth.

Quoted from the Schiit website FAQ;

WARRANTY & RETURNS

Who pays shipping if I need warranty service?
You pay shipping to us, and we pay shipping back, unless no fault is found. In that case you pay shipping both ways. 

Why the surprise.  The policy is well posted.  If its is an under warranty repair, they fix it and ship it back to you. Most companies warranties operate the same way.

And it will be great again when you get it back.

Nov 28, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #2,674 of 6,468
I am interested also. They seem to have similar philosophies.

I get my ICAN this week that's why I ask, will be most likely putting my Jot up for sale. Was just wondering if anyone had both and what their thoughts were.

Nov 28, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #2,675 of 6,468
Nov 28, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #2,676 of 6,468
  "It also has the effect of smearing or panning vocals across your jaw"

I have no idea what he is talking about, listening to vocals with HD650 balanced on Jot from Bifrost multibit -  I've got nothing happening across my jaw 
confused_face(1).gif

Either I have strange perceptions or ...

I don't know, a lot of sound stage perception is very variable between individuals, as it's a complex pyscho-acoustic extrapolation/decoding process- maybe it does to that person?

For what it's worth, a lot of people find the Jot's sound stage is quite wide, but shallow, often almost on a plane bisecting the listener's head. Maybe they were hearing a variant of this?

(Doesn't mean that it can't be enjoyable. Hang a Vali 2 with an EH6GC7 off the pre-amp outs if you want a simple way to get a smoother, deeper alternate sound stage for occasional use, though. Cheap and effective.)

Nov 28, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #2,677 of 6,468
  Quoted from the Schiit website FAQ;

WARRANTY & RETURNS

Who pays shipping if I need warranty service?
You pay shipping to us, and we pay shipping back, unless no fault is found. In that case you pay shipping both ways. 

Why the surprise.  The policy is well posted.  If its is an under warranty repair, they fix it and ship it back to you. Most companies warranties operate the same way.

And it will be great again when you get it back.

I am well aware, never said I was surprised. I just don't like paying for the QC shortcoming from any cost cutting they might have done to reach that price point. For comparison, Sennheiser has a similar policy but when I had an issue with my HD600, they immediately sent me a shipping label. Logitech did the same for a faulty mouse. You can only really do that if you have faith in your product's quality, otherwise it's a pretty big risk. Either way, it doesn't justify waiting several days for responses from support. What's the point of buying from an American boutique seller if you get the Chinese manufacturer experience?

Nov 28, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #2,678 of 6,468
Amazon usually supplies UPS labels on returns, it's hard to find anyone else that does IMO.

Nov 28, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #2,679 of 6,468
  What's the point of buying from an American boutique seller if you get the Chinese manufacturer experience?

I'm not sure that they're exactly "boutique". They build to a carefully controlled cost, and scale their manufacturing to ship a surprising quantity of units. "Boutique" is paying thousands for an amp (often built to order and specific preferences) not paying $400, or in the case of the wonderful Vali 2, $169.

Gawd love Schiit, they're many things- disruptive, clever, innovative, and honest.. They make some nice-sounding gear for a lot less than a lot of the more established incumbents, but a boutique? Not so much. That signature bit of modest curved steel rather gives the game away.

Nov 28, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #2,681 of 6,468

I'm not sure that they're exactly "boutique". They build to a carefully controlled cost, and scale their manufacturing to ship a surprising quantity of units. "Boutique" is paying thousands for an amp (usually built to order and specific preferences) not paying $400, or in the case of the wonderful Vali 2, $169.

Gawd love Schiit, they're many things- disruptive, clever, innovative, and honest.. They make some nice-sounding gear for a lot less than a lot of the more established incumbents, but a boutique? Not so much.

While this is rapidly approaching irrelevant territory, I do routinely hear them described as boutique. You don't have to pay thousands to be boutique. Doesn't really matter that much though.

Either way, lesson learned. Buy through Amazon and pay a few bucks more for a reasonable lemon process or don't buy from them at all.

Nov 28, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #2,682 of 6,468
To clarify repairs:

1. If the product is DOA or has a problem within the first 15 days, we do what is called a "rapid return/replace," in which we supply a shipping label and send the replacement as soon as the faulty product has been deposited at the shipper.
2. If it's beyond that time, yes, standard warranty terms apply.
3. 4 days for a repair acknowledgement? Unless the request came in late Wednesday (in which case, yes, maybe we actually do take Thanksgiving, but we also usually answer emails on weekends). I'd like to see the actual emails on that.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 28, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #2,683 of 6,468
  To clarify repairs:

1. If the product is DOA or has a problem within the first 15 days, we do what is called a "rapid return/replace," in which we supply a shipping label and send the replacement as soon as the faulty product has been deposited at the shipper.
2. If it's beyond that time, yes, standard warranty terms apply.
3. 4 days for a repair acknowledgement? Unless the request came in late Wednesday (in which case, yes, maybe we actually do take Thanksgiving, but we also usually answer emails on weekends). I'd like to see the actual emails on that.

With regards to number 3, I sent the support request in via the online form on Friday 11/18, tried the support@schiit.com on Monday 11/21 after hearing nothing (bounced back), emailed info@schiit.com on Tuesday 11/22 and got a "I don't see your request, is the voltage right" one sentence reply, sent a full description of the problem at 2:30 on Tuesday, hadn't received any response at noon on Wednesday 11/23 so I sent a "please give me an update because I have to leave for holidays soon and would like to get this sent out" email, received a "sounds like you need to go to this link and submit a service request" email at 2:30pm after I had left. Got home on Sunday 11/27, started service request, and will ship out today 11/28.

So the 4 days was the time between my first attempts to contact you guys and when I received my first response. Might want to check the support form thing, as it definitely failed silently for me.

Nov 28, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #2,684 of 6,468
Aha. Yes, if we don't get a valid email from the support form, then we won't be able to contact you. I'll have our guys add a second email entry confirmation/validation to the form. Because forms are usually answered in minutes or hours.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 28, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #2,685 of 6,468
  Aha. Yes, if we don't get a valid email from the support form, then we won't be able to contact you. I'll have our guys add a second email entry confirmation/validation to the form. Because forms are usually answered in minutes or hours.

Yeah. There are some users posting on reddit about having the same issue with it, so it might be worth looking into. Would have saved me a ton of hassle, but my Jot is in the mail now so I'm trying to just chill out and look forward to a working one again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back