Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Sep 24, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #1,336 of 6,469
Thanks, I guess the modi uber would be needed for optical option.

Edit: is the multibit option worth it?

i had the regular modi 1 for 3 years, and recently received my multibit, i figured for 250, why not, right? the difference was worth it for me. what everyone else says is true, it just sounds more natural.

Sep 24, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #1,337 of 6,469
i had the regular modi 1 for 3 years, and recently received my multibit, i figured for 250, why not, right? the difference was worth it for me. what everyone else says is true, it just sounds more natural.

Yeah I'm just planning ahead at the moment, schiit costs a bit more in Australia. Trying to decide if I want the jot without dac because I like to hook up my PS4 via Optical.

Im also looking at buying a portable amp/DAC like the Sony pha-3 as on the go option since it has Optical and balanced. Then I could just use that as the DAC with the Jot. Maybe buy the bifrost somewhere in future. Decisions decisions :D

Sep 25, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #1,338 of 6,469
Just bought a jotunheim. Waiting for dacbalium, half the price of gumby, possible?:grinning:

Sep 25, 2016 at 5:02 AM Post #1,339 of 6,469
Would those with Jotunheim share their experience with Planar headphones like Mr.Speakers Ethers, Audeze LCD2 or Hifiman HE560?

The power delivery of the balance output of the jotunheim would be ideal to drive the planar magnetic headphone.

In this thread I read it here and there that it could drive them, but how does it sound?

Thank you!

Sep 25, 2016 at 5:51 AM Post #1,340 of 6,469
I know I'm probably getting ahead of myself here... But are expensive cables needed for balanced?

https://www.amazon.com/Balanced-Hi-end-Headphone-Upgrade-Sennheiser/dp/B00ZBOYY9S/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1474796411&sr=8-9&keywords=balanced+cable+hd800

https://www.amazon.com/Balanced-Hi-end-Headphone-Upgrade-Sennheiser/dp/B00ZBP5ZRW/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1474796411&sr=8-8&keywords=balanced+cable+hd800

https://www.amazon.com/Balanced-Silver-Headphone-Upgrade-Sennheiser/dp/B00WRDAEJA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1474796411&sr=8-4&keywords=balanced+cable+hd800

The seller is in China. I've bought 3 different adapters - XLR-TRS, XLR-TRRS and XLR-6.3mm from him with no issues. 

Sep 25, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #1,341 of 6,469
Those look real nice, so copper is warmer and silver brighter or so I've heard.

Sep 25, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #1,342 of 6,469

https://www.amazon.com/Balanced-Hi-end-Headphone-Upgrade-Sennheiser/dp/B00ZBOYY9S/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1474796411&sr=8-9&keywords=balanced+cable+hd800

https://www.amazon.com/Balanced-Hi-end-Headphone-Upgrade-Sennheiser/dp/B00ZBP5ZRW/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1474796411&sr=8-8&keywords=balanced+cable+hd800

https://www.amazon.com/Balanced-Silver-Headphone-Upgrade-Sennheiser/dp/B00WRDAEJA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1474796411&sr=8-4&keywords=balanced+cable+hd800

The seller is in China. I've bought 3 different adapters - XLR-TRS, XLR-TRRS and XLR-6.3mm from him with no issues. 

I guess "expensive" is relative...

Sep 25, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #1,343 of 6,469
  I guess "expensive" is relative...

http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/Norne-Audio-Pure-Silver-occ-litz-ohno-continuous-cast-ciem-iem-replacement-cable-cotton-type-4-shure-mmcx-2-pin-eidolic-westone-jh-audio-aurisonics-1964-ears-custom

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-CH-Silver-Plated-Headphone/dp/B00H8AEZCO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474802030&sr=8-1&keywords=sennheiser+balanced+cable+hd800

And they can go a lot higher!!! So yes "expensive" is relative............. Check out the Kimber Kable - Axios for a higher priced cable.
eek.gif

Sep 25, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #1,344 of 6,469
Thanks, I guess the modi uber would be needed for optical option.

Edit: is the multibit option worth it?

"Worth it" is a judgement call- but it's a really nice DAC. If you're going all the way to an Uber for the connectivity, it's probably easy to talk yourself into the Multibit.

I had a tiny bit of buyer's remorse when I ordered mine, as it seemed an extravagance (I also own a Mojo). For what it's worth, that soon evaporated when I got it settled in. It's a very detailed and pleasant DAC, without any of the harshness that you can sometimes get with some delta/sigma DACs. For the price, it's a really nice deal- you'd be hard-pressed to come anywhere near it without spending a lot more.

Moreover, single-ended into the Jotenheim, it really does not suck.

Sep 25, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #1,345 of 6,469
I'm actually considering a pha-3 which does balanced. I've owned one before.but had to sell it as I needed the cash but I do miss having a portable. At least I could run balanced into the jot if I go down that road too. And I already have a balanced cable for my SE846 so that's a bonus... The difference through balanced was staggering!

Sep 25, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #1,346 of 6,469
I'm actually considering a pha-3 which does balanced. I've owned one before.but had to sell it as I needed the cash but I do miss having a portable. At least I could run balanced into the jot if I go down that road too. And I already have a balanced cable for my SE846 so that's a bonus... The difference through balanced was staggering!

Bear in mind that the reported differences of going balanced in to the Jot may well be smaller than the difference you'd hear with a better DAC in SE. I guess if you like the Sony and secretly want it for the transportability, that's a reason to go for it though, it's your money!

Do bear in mind that a Bifrost multibit going in SE to the Jot may well do more for you, though, if you're more slanted towards making your desktop rig sound good. Maybe try to give some things a listen before pulling the trigger? I obviously can't guess your priorities, and it's you who needs to be happy with it.

(If you can actually get hold of one, some of the LH Labs Geek Out models will do mobile balanced too, and people seem to love them.. but I've never heard one, they seem to be hell to find.)

Sep 25, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #1,347 of 6,469

Do bear in mind that a Bifrost multibit going in SE to the Jot may well do more for you, though, if you're more slanted towards making your desktop rig sound good.

I can confirm that the Bimby SE > Jot is an excellent pairing. I've found that the transparency of the Jot really makes me appreciate how good the Bimby is.

I'm not convinced there's much inherent sound quality advantage to balanced *input* on the Jot. To me, it seems like the main advantage is on the balanced *output* of the Jot, in cases where you have headphones that will benefit from the increased power. And in that case, there's no reason you can't use a SE input to drive the balanced output.

Sep 25, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #1,348 of 6,469

I can confirm that the Bimby SE > Jot is an excellent pairing. I've found that the transparency of the Jot really makes me appreciate how good the Bimby is.

I'm not convinced there's much inherent sound quality advantage to balanced *input* on the Jot. To me, it seems like the main advantage is on the balanced *output* of the Jot, in cases where you have headphones that will benefit from the increased power. And in that case, there's no reason you can't use a SE input to drive the balanced output.

You're more or less right, I think. For what it's worth, atomicbob did his usual very thorough job of measuring the Jot, and commented that balanced in measured slightly better in several ways than SE in, and ditto balanced out. However, he did emphasise that in all cases, SE was close and still a very good option- the executive summary was that the more balanced that you used, the better, but any of the four possible permutations would work surprisingly well.

Because the Jot doesn't cheap out like certain other amps (we must not anger the sponsors!), you don't really lose out too much going SE into it- you'll still get great performance. I'm glad of that, personally, as it means I don't feel like I'm missing out too much with my SE-out DAC.

Sep 25, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #1,349 of 6,469
Hey guys, hoping for some advice... Currently own the HD800's and the only amp/DAC I own is the Sony UDA-1. Mist of my music (except for classical or jazz) sounds thin/harsh no bass etc etc. Is the jot solving these problems with the 800 or should I just sell them and buy a hd650?

Cheers.

I have a UDA-1 and a modded (SDR) HD800. I don't agree with your assessment as I think the HD800 sounds fine with this combo, but not as good as I have heard the HD800 with say a my Liquid Carbon or my BottleHead crack. The differences are subtle, but better. If you can, you might look into mods for the HD800. The SuperDupont Resonator is easy and cheap. Read about it hear:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sennheiser-hd-800-s-tweaked-and-delightfuland-french-diy-response

The UDA-1 is a very smooth DAC/Amp. In my opinion, too smooth. I'm hoping the Jodie as the amp and the UDA-1 as the DAC will breath some life in the HD800. 

If the HD800 has too much treble for you with the UDA-1 then you should mod it, or sell it and get a warmer set of cans. Possible an HD600 or HD650 or maybe an Elear. You won't find too many DACs warmer/smoother than the UDA-1 to tame the treble peak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back