Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Dec 30, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #6,451 of 6,468
I’s the first time I have this with FedEx, they’re usually pretty good.
UPS is awful here, no help from customer service at all and they are the only carrier that fails to find my address over 50% of the times.
And when shipped with USPS the package is in customs for 2-6 weeks here, so that’s not an option either.

Jun 22, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #6,453 of 6,468
Dimensions not identical?

IMG_1026-private.jpeg

As for headphones: so many choices.
I don't know the Aeon and the Meze.
My choice would be a Masssdrop-Sennheiser HD6XX (same as HD650) and for planars I am partial to Audeze, Abyss and Hifiman. I'd simply start with a Massdrop-Hifiman HE4XX.
But that's me ...

My desk and full system:

IMG_1027-private.jpeg

IMG_1029-private.jpeg

as you can see I am a professional photographer. :wink:
wow nice set up I bet the luxman stuff sounds awesome.

Nov 3, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #6,456 of 6,468
Hello, my system is a proprietary PCM56 multibit DAC and Jotunheim amplifier with HIFIMAN He500 headphones.

Attachments

• IMG_20230721_155754.jpg
    IMG_20230721_155754.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 0
Dec 30, 2023 at 10:58 PM Post #6,457 of 6,468
Years ago I owned an Asgard 2, which I would get buzzing from. I tried several different things (so long ago my memory is foggy) that didn't work. What did work was getting a Furman M-8x2 power conditioner. Since that time I have owned a Valhalla 2 also, that amp buzzed without the Furman. When I got the Jotunheim, I didn't even try it without, plugged it into the Furman right away. I get no buzz or hum with nothing playing and the volume control maxed out.

Edit: I have never gotten a buzz or hum with a Schiit amp that used a wall wart instead of an internal power supply.
I had a speaker amp that buzzed (not Schiit brand). Installed a Furman AC-215 and it went away. I also make use of the Furman M-8x2 just in case. I guess it depends how one's house is wired and what is plugged into other outlets.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 6:27 PM Post #6,459 of 6,468
Hi, what DAC would you recommend for a schiit Jotunheim under $300-$400?
Pretty much any DAC these days. The idea that you need to match a DAC and amp beyond the connection type desired and output voltage of the DAC is misguided. As long as the DAC is audibly transparent, they all sound the same. Unless somehow, and for some reason the design deliberately colors the output, but that would be a broken DAC design. A DAC has one job, to convert, not to convert and color the output in anyway.

I know people don't like reading that, but the evidence is clear and unambiguous. Always disregard sighted listening tests as they are subject to bias that cannot be controlled for

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 6:32 PM Post #6,460 of 6,468
I'm using an RME ADI-2 DAC FS for a multitude of reasons and it's out of your price range. But...
I recently had a Modius E from Schiit and it was very very very good. Easily as good as the RME minus a couple of minor quibbles. But the sound was spot on...and a little different than the RME...little. LoL. :)

Jan 9, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #6,461 of 6,468
I'm using an RME ADI-2 DAC FS for a multitude of reasons and it's out of your price range. But...
I recently had a Modius E from Schiit and it was very very very good. Easily as good as the RME minus a couple of minor quibbles. But the sound was spot on...and a little different than the RME...little. LoL. :)
I should try to meet up with you in Ottawa and see if in a properly designed, level matched blind listening tests you could tell the difference between the RME and say something plain jane like an SMSL M200. You never know, might be interesting. :)

Jan 9, 2024 at 7:58 PM Post #6,462 of 6,468
I should try to meet up with you in Ottawa and see if in a properly designed, level matched blind listening tests you could tell the difference between the RME and say something plain jane like an SMSL M200. You never know, might be interesting. :)
We should for the sake of comparison. I do admit to the Modius E sounding very similar to the RME...but I can change the sound of the RME with a variety of settings, such as Crossfeed, Different filters, PEQ and width settings. Just saying....it is a dac after all. :)

Jan 9, 2024 at 9:05 PM Post #6,463 of 6,468
We should for the sake of comparison. I do admit to the Modius E sounding very similar to the RME...but I can change the sound of the RME with a variety of settings, such as Crossfeed, Different filters, PEQ and width settings. Just saying....it is a dac after all. :)
Well, technically those features are not really what a DAC is about, they are added features, achieved with DSP designed to color sound. In the strictest sense, a DA is supposed to convert, unadulterated, a digital stream with fidelity to an analogue signal. Anything else isn't strictly the business of A DAC. You can design a car to include a microwave oven in it should you chose, but that really isn't the business of a car.

Jan 10, 2024 at 3:25 AM Post #6,464 of 6,468
Never heard 2 dacs from 2 models (even with the same manufacture) to sound the same. Even they are used with the same dac chips.
I recommend used the Jot with a dac with a good depth and open sounding because the Jot sound claustrophobic and flat to my ears. In my case: every dacs from Ifi are my preference

Users who are viewing this thread

Back