Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Oct 27, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #6,377 of 6,469
The internal DAC card tends to be more susceptible to noisy USB outputs, IME. If memory serves, it also provides a lower output voltage compared to an external DAC (and shares the power supply with the amplifier, which is sub optimal compared to having its own.)

Oct 27, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #6,378 of 6,469
so it's better to have separate dac and amps? by the way can you connect active speakers in this kind of combination of modius/asgard 3? Do you connect the speakers through the balance out of the modius? How do you control the volume of the speakers there's no volume knob on the modius..

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #6,381 of 6,469
So I ordered the Jot with a Modius to start out. Also ordered the Dan Clark Aeon 2 Closed (came with XLR VIVO cables for free).

The Aeon 2's were delivered today, hopefully get the rest this week :) Though the patch cables may take a bit from Hart Audio. It's all coming together!

Cool man, I was also eyeing the aeon2 closed. Does it crack a bit on loud trebles or bass? I tried it with an ifi zen dac and it sort of cracked or distorted during those times..

Nov 2, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #6,382 of 6,469
Cool man, I was also eyeing the aeon2 closed. Does it crack a bit on loud trebles or bass? I tried it with an ifi zen dac and it sort of cracked or distorted during those times..
I don't know yet. I just got home and am staring at them hanging from my pegboard. I don't have an external DAC nor amp to power these until the Schiit stack gets here. Hopefully a glorious evening!

Nov 3, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #6,383 of 6,469
So I ordered the Jot with a Modius to start out. Also ordered the Dan Clark Aeon 2 Closed (came with XLR VIVO cables for free).

The Aeon 2's were delivered today, hopefully get the rest this week :) Though the patch cables may take a bit from Hart Audio. It's all coming together!
I am very very happy with the combination Jotunheim and Aeon 2 Closed.

Nov 4, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #6,389 of 6,469
What would like to see if Schiit were to come out the next turn of the crank for a Jotenheim?/
There are clear areas for improvement when using Jotunheim as a preamp for speakers. Currently both headphone and preamp outputs are always active all the time. Jason acknowledged that it would help to have a switch for selecting between the two. A remote control would also be useful for using Jotunheim as a speaker preamp.

Nov 4, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #6,390 of 6,469
There are clear areas for improvement when using Jotunheim as a preamp for speakers. Currently both headphone and preamp outputs are always active all the time. Jason acknowledged that it would help to have a switch for selecting between the two. A remote control would also be useful for using Jotunheim as a speaker preamp.
Like a mini Ragnarok!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back