Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Sep 23, 2021 at 11:06 PM Post #1,786 of 2,933
Try a preamp with the Jot 2. It really opens up the amp. I run SI from the Lyr3 to the Jot 2, and balanced out from the Jot 2 with my Senn HD 800S's. Exquisite.

Love my Lyr 3 with various valves as a preamp. New tube, new sound. Cheaper to change a valve than a component for a new sound.

My current valve: https://www.ebay.com/itm/223139362664?var=522735380196. One can also purchase great vintage tubes.

I have Modius and Magnus in black. Silver is far superior. I keep the M's as backups
When I get the Jot 2 the Asgard 3 will be a back up or give to wife. I agree with adding a tube pre or line stage sounds really good. The pic is of my headphone setup before I packed it all up. Between the Modius and Asgard 3 there is a fully modded Musical Fidelity X-10v3 tube stage with custom power supply. Analog and digital (computer and DAC) power sources isolated from each other (with custom balanced power conditioners) and a lot of power filtration. Sounded amazing! I miss it. All going back up when I move, hopefully with Jot 2.

Attachments

• Headphone rig.jpg
    Headphone rig.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 0
Sep 24, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #1,787 of 2,933
Just placed an order for a Jot 2, black with no module. Website says 6-8 weeks. Well let you all know when it actually arrives.

Sep 24, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #1,789 of 2,933
I was told they were currently closer to the 8 week mark. So I ended up ordering a b-stock with a module I didn't need for $100 more just to get it now.
Same here

Sep 24, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #1,790 of 2,933
I was told they were currently closer to the 8 week mark. So I ended up ordering a b-stock with a module I didn't need for $100 more just to get it now.
I thought of doing the same but did not see one available throughout the week or so I have been watching out for one. The wait is not a big deal for me, just not sure where I would need it shipped was my concern. I also considered used but according to Schiit when I contacted them they said the warranty is not transferable. I will be going to balanced with at least my daily drivers which are Audeze LCD-XC 2021. Will be interesting to see if the $630 or so upgrade (Jot 2 and balanced LCD cable) from Asgard 3 will be worth the upgrade. LOL At least I will have a little fun with trying different power and interconnect cables I have with the setup.

Sep 24, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #1,791 of 2,933
When I get the Jot 2 the Asgard 3 will be a back up or give to wife. I agree with adding a tube pre or line stage sounds really good. The pic is of my headphone setup before I packed it all up. Between the Modius and Asgard 3 there is a fully modded Musical Fidelity X-10v3 tube stage with custom power supply. Analog and digital (computer and DAC) power sources isolated from each other (with custom balanced power conditioners) and a lot of power filtration. Sounded amazing! I miss it. All going back up when I move, hopefully with Jot 2.

Oct 2, 2021 at 12:44 AM Post #1,792 of 2,933
I'm wondering if anyone keeps both a Jot 2 and Asgard 3 on their desk if they own both? I've thought about it, but to be honest the SE jack on the Jot 2 already sounds like a better A3, and of course the balanced jack takes it up to another level.

Oct 2, 2021 at 1:15 AM Post #1,793 of 2,933
I'm wondering if anyone keeps both a Jot 2 and Asgard 3 on their desk if they own both? I've thought about it, but to be honest the SE jack on the Jot 2 already sounds like a better A3, and of course the balanced jack takes it up to another level.
I have a Asgard 3 paired with a Modius currently powering Audeze LCD-XC 2021. I have a Jot 2 on order and just got Cardas Clear Light balanced cable. Can you please give me some insight as to what I should expect with the Jot 2 SE and balanced compared to Asgard 3? Thanks!

Oct 2, 2021 at 1:28 AM Post #1,794 of 2,933
I have both; however, in different use cases and not on the same desk.

I am running an EITR>Modi Multibit>Loki Mini+>Asgard 3 for my work from home setup. The Bifrost 2>Jot 2 is in my main non-work setup. I sold my Asgard 3 to fund the Jot 2 because I needed more power for the HE6se. After running the IEMagni for a few months, there was an inherent sound signature from the Asgard 3 that I missed. Ended up selling the IEMagni and re-bought a B-Stock Asgard and I am very happy. However, you are correct in saying that it would be tough to justify an Asgard 3 side-by-side with a Jot 2. Jot 2's SE output is often slept on but it sounds more punchy and dynamic SE than the Asgard 3 when paired with HD650s. The amp is such a good all-rounder at a fair price.

Regardless, I definitely consider myself blessed to have access to quality audio in different parts of my house.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2021 at 6:10 AM Post #1,795 of 2,933
I have both; however, in different use cases and not on the same desk.

I am running an EITR>Modi Multibit>Loki Mini+>Asgard 3 for my work from home setup. The Bifrost 2>Jot 2 is in my main non-work setup. I sold my Asgard 3 to fund the Jot 2 because I needed more power for the HE6se. After running the IEMagni for a few months, there was an inherent sound signature from the Asgard 3 that I missed. Ended up selling the IEMagni and re-bought a B-Stock Asgard and I am very happy. However, you are correct in saying that it would be tough to justify an Asgard 3 side-by-side with a Jot 2. Jot 2's SE output is often slept on but it sounds more punchy and dynamic SE than the Asgard 3 when paired with HD650s. The amp is such a good all-rounder at a fair price.

Regardless, I definitely consider myself blessed to have access to quality audio in different parts of my house.
Yeah, I don't keep my Asgard3 at the same desktop setup as the Bf2/Jot2, rather it lives elsewhere in the house.

Agree, when I did some side-by-side with SE only, there isn't much in it between the 2 amps, although you do get just a little more separation and detail with the Jot2.

It's with the balanced out that the Jot2 shows what it can do, paired with a Silver Dragon cable both my LCD-2C and Empyrean really shine vs the SE.

The other benefit of the Bf2/Jot2 pairing is that on the SE path between them I've got a Vali2+ for some tube flavour depending on what I'm listening to.

Oct 2, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #1,796 of 2,933
When level matched using an spl meter (I listen at 80db), I am hard pressed to tell any differences between Jot 2 SE and Asgard 3. The Asgard 3 is def twice as powerful as the Jot 2 SE. But other than that, blind tested and level matched, I couldn't tell a difference through multiple headphones. When they weren't level matched, the Jot 2 SE sounded better. This was with both going through a BF2. Jot 2 balanced out though is def stepping up another tier.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #1,797 of 2,933
I ignored some of the scepticism I've read about Schiit and picked up the Jot 2 + 4490 combo while it's on run-out and... man do I regret it.

The amp stage is really nice, but the DAC has a huge ground hum if anything is using it, and worse yet, just having something connected causes the hum to come through when the source is the RCA or XLR, as well. I'm bemused how their QA could have let that ship.

What's worse is that to get it looked at, I'm shipping it internationally, which is costing me close to $300 on top of the purchase price.

A really, really lousy experience, and the promise of "good at an affordable price" has turned into "faulty at an astronomical price". Perhaps they're a great buy if you're in the mainland US, but I would recommend you stay well away otherwise.

Oct 5, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #1,798 of 2,933
I ignored some of the scepticism I've read about Schiit and picked up the Jot 2 + 4490 combo while it's on run-out and... man do I regret it.

The amp stage is really nice, but the DAC has a huge ground hum if anything is using it, and worse yet, just having something connected causes the hum to come through when the source is the RCA or XLR, as well. I'm bemused how their QA could have let that ship.

What's worse is that to get it looked at, I'm shipping it internationally, which is costing me close to $300 on top of the purchase price.

A really, really lousy experience, and the promise of "good at an affordable price" has turned into "faulty at an astronomical price". Perhaps they're a great buy if you're in the mainland US, but I would recommend you stay well away otherwise.
Shame to hear that, good luck with the service from them.

I've bought 5 items over the last 12+ months shipped to Australia, touch wood I've never had an issue.

Oct 5, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #1,799 of 2,933

That sucks. Have you tried pulling the DAC out and see if that is the problem? Just a suggestion since you are not in US.

Oct 5, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #1,800 of 2,933
That sucks. Have you tried pulling the DAC out and see if that is the problem? Just a suggestion since you are not in US.
It's a good suggestion, but I've avoided cracking it open since the only thing that would be worse than all the money to ship it back would be a "you opened it and therefore your warranty is invalid".

I did, however, follow all the suggestions to check earthing with an ohmeter and that didn't appear to be the problem; unlike the older Jots that had a reputation for having un-earthed cases and the like. The fact it only buzzes when you've got something plugged into the DAC but is otherwise a very nice headphone amp both makes me sadder, and quite sure it's either a problem with the card or whatever connectors/soldering that it plugs into.

At any rate it's on a very expensive courier trip back to California now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back