Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Jul 20, 2021 at 12:17 AM Post #1,637 of 2,948
I just received my Jotunheim 2 yesterday and am using my iFi ZEN DAC V2 as the DAC into the Jot 2 right now. I have plans to get a different DAC in the future. So far I really can't tell much of a difference through my Focal Radiance, the gain + is more impactful than running the iFi as a combo and I leave it off on the Jot2 where I did use it on the iFi. I really would like to find a companion DAC that has a display that shows the bit rate ect... because I think that is fun, I like the tone of the iFi DAC though, I have never tried anything else.
Denafrips Ares II pairs well with the Jot 2. It shows you the sample rate but it's just tiny LEDs.

Jul 26, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #1,638 of 2,948
I recently purchased the Jottenheim 2 with the mutibit dac option. It sounds okay on my desktop set up. But after looking at currawrong's review I had doubts on my decision to get the onboard dac trying to keep things simple on my crowded desktop set up. I have been researching other dac options including the chords and Aries ii . I have to have a unit with a small footprint. There is no room for standard size dacs. That limits my options which made shopping a bit easier but shuts out some really nice dac options. Oh well things are what they are. I decided to pul the trigger on the Bifrost 2 dac. I want to pair it in balanced fashion with my Jottenheim 2 . I am using elac Naviis active speakers on my desk top set up. I pulled the trigger on the Bifrost 2 dac yesterday. I ordered mine in silver to match my Jottenheim 2 . Hopefully the silver units are easier to get. I read that the black units are more in demand. Hoping for a bit more detail from the bf2 as opposed to the multi bit dac in my jottenheim 2.

Jul 26, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #1,639 of 2,948
I recently purchased the Jottenheim 2 with the mutibit dac option. It sounds okay on my desktop set up. But after looking at currawrong's review I had doubts on my decision to get the onboard dac trying to keep things simple on my crowded desktop set up. I have been researching other dac options including the chords and Aries ii . I have to have a unit with a small footprint. There is no room for standard size dacs. That limits my options which made shopping a bit easier but shuts out some really nice dac options. Oh well things are what they are. I decided to pul the trigger on the Bifrost 2 dac. I want to pair it in balanced fashion with my Jottenheim 2 . I am using elac Naviis active speakers on my desk top set up. I pulled the trigger on the Bifrost 2 dac yesterday. I ordered mine in silver to match my Jottenheim 2 . Hopefully the silver units are easier to get. I read that the black units are more in demand. Hoping for a bit more detail from the bf2 as opposed to the multi bit dac in my jottenheim 2.
I have never heard of the multibit DAC in the Jot 2, but it is at the level (or lower) of the Mimby. I've had the Mimby before. Definite improvement there if you fo with Bifrost 2. Similar tonality, but better across the board.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #1,640 of 2,948
I moved from a Modi Multibit to Bifrost 2 (feeding Jot2) and could tell an improvement. I did some quasi-blinded comparisons, but nothing seriously rigorous. I imagine the Multibit card might be fairly close to the mimby, but can't speak to that from experience.

Jul 26, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #1,641 of 2,948
One of the fun things that sometimes happen when you get a new headphone amp is that it breathes new life into some of the less used members of your headphone collection. I decided to try how the Jotunheim 2 would work with my 30+ years old Beyerdynamic DT990. The 990 has very high impedance (600 ohm) and very low sensitivity so it requires a good amp to provide even a moderate listening volume. Wimpy amps need not apply. The 990 also has the classic bright-leaning Beyerdynamic sound and it can sound harsh and strident with amps that it does not like. I’m happy to report that the Jotunheim 2 both drives the 990 effortlessly (on the high gain setting) and makes it sound very good with deep bass, clear and open midrange and extended airy highs. I’m very treble-sensitive so to my ears the treble can still get too hot at times, but for most tracks it sounds rather good. So good, in fact, that it makes me wonder a bit how much the headphone sound quality in general has really advanced in the past 30 years. :)

Jul 26, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #1,642 of 2,948
One of the fun things that sometimes happen when you get a new headphone amp is that it breathes new life into some of the less used members of your headphone collection. I decided to try how the Jotunheim 2 would work with my 30+ years old Beyerdynamic DT990. The 990 has very high impedance (600 ohm) and very low sensitivity so it requires a good amp to provide even a moderate listening volume. Wimpy amps need not apply. The 990 also has the classic bright-leaning Beyerdynamic sound and it can sound harsh and strident with amps that it does not like. I’m happy to report that the Jotunheim 2 both drives the 990 effortlessly (on the high gain setting) and makes it sound very good with deep bass, clear and open midrange and extended airy highs. I’m very treble-sensitive so to my ears the treble can still get too hot at times, but for most tracks it sounds rather good. So good, in fact, that it makes me wonder a bit how much the headphone sound quality in general has really advanced in the past 30 years. :)
Yep, pairing Jot2, in my case, with Beyerdynamic T1.2 was a revelation

Jul 26, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #1,643 of 2,948
Interesting h/p/a portfolio: Woo Audio WA6 and Schiit Jotunheim…I actually bought one of the last Schiit Mjolnir II (hybrid tube/ss) which I had capacitor modified…

Jul 26, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #1,646 of 2,948
As you can see from my avatar, I know of what you speak. :) My 600 ohm 990s are 37 years old this year. I also tested them out on my Jot2/BF2 rig, and they do sound very good. I never had enough power to run them correctly during their (and my) youth, and this is probably the best they've ever sounded.

I do have to say, however, that headphone sound quality has definitely advanced over these last 3 decades. My Focal OG Clears are many, many levels better than my OG 990s. Still it's fun to put the OG 990s through their paces again with a good amp pairing.

Jul 27, 2021 at 12:19 AM Post #1,647 of 2,948
Ordered my Jot 2 right at launch end of December last year. Still love it, it pairs so well with Aeolus it makes me forget about tube amps. Insane value ! It has this interesting treble energy that's not fatiguing or grating and it can bump pretty hard. No complaints or issues so far !

it is great with my atticus as well

Jul 31, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #1,648 of 2,948
I recently purchased a Jottenheim 2 . I added a audience forte 3 power cable and it was a very nice improvement for the Jottenheim 2 . You can purchase one at the cable company for about 150 dollars on special reduced from 200 dollars for a 6 foot power cable. This cord is comparable to the shunyata venom value priced cable for a lower cost. It brings a nice all around improvement to the Jottenheim 2 without breaking the bank.

Aug 2, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #1,649 of 2,948
Well now that I have a bit of time on the jottenheim 2 it is sounding pretty nice with my elac Naviis active speakers on my desk top. Especially on the lower frequencies and pretty decent dynamics. Just wish my naviis speakers were a little better on the upper frequencies. Miss the heil air motion tweeter I had in my old emotiva airmotive 5 actives. But in all other areas the Elac Naviis is a lot better. I am supposed to get my Bifrost 2 dac tomorrow. I am really looking forward to the combination of the jottenheim 2 and the bifrost 2. Read a lot of good things about the pair together.
(Posted edit on June 5th 2022) Well I am pulling out all the stops on my desk top set up. I am using isoacoustic bronze isolation pucks under both the Schiit Jottenheim 2 and the Schiit Bifrost 2 dac. I have hooked up a audio sensibilities harmonic tech ac10 power cord to both my Jottenheim2 and to my schiit bifrost 2 dac in my desk top. I now have harmonic tech ac10 power cables on my Elac Naviis active speakers as well on my desk top and it is now a much more resolute set up. The dynamics and bass are noticeably improved probably the midrange and clarity of the Naviis speaker is much improved as well. I have more listening to do yet but the Naviis speakers are sounding better. I also found the sound of the high gain position a bit bright sounding . I switched the gain switch to the low gain position and in my set up the speaker sounds better in that position.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #1,650 of 2,948
Hi everyone!! I ordered my Jot2 in black 11 weeks ago, no module at all, just the amp and still there is no date for Schiit to send it.
I was wondering if any of you ordered during May and already have it??? My order was in the first week of May.
Thanks!!
For what it’s worth, my Jot2 black no mod is still on back order from 3/31.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back