Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
May 3, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #1,531 of 2,933
I was surprised that I didn't find any results when I searched for "RebelAmp" and "Rebel". Am I the only one cross shopping the two :sweat_smile:?.

I would really appreciate any comparison between the two. I would like some mid tier amp for my secondary system driving the ZMF Verite.

May 3, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #1,532 of 2,933
sorry i haven't had a chance to go through 100 pages... tldr, is the multibit dac better than the ak4490?

and if i have the jot1 is it worth upgrading to the jot2?

also, my jot1 has the multibit dac; can i just swap it into the jot2?

thx
DAC modules are swappable between Jot1 and Jot2. make sure both devices are powered off, observe static-safe / anti-stat handling procedures.

May 3, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #1,533 of 2,933
I was surprised that I didn't find any results when I searched for "RebelAmp" and "Rebel". Am I the only one cross shopping the two :sweat_smile:?.

I would really appreciate any comparison between the two. I would like some mid tier amp for my secondary system driving the ZMF Verite.
I had a Rebel amp for a couple months, the Jotunheim is more "standard". The Rebel amp has a very particular sound signature, kind of warm, I believe that comes from some distortion that gives it that flavor. I've just tried my Verite Closed with the Jotunheim and it sounds very good, I have had a Jotunheim with multibit DAC as my bedside DAC/amp, for a couple months now and it's a very nice amp.

If you are in the US I would recommend the Jotunheim, I feel it's overall better and compact plus you can add a DAC and have an all in one unit.

May 4, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #1,535 of 2,933
Did anyone compare Jotunheim2 with Cayin IHA-6 or Burson Conductor 3x ref amp section?
Havent tried the Burson Conductor 3X Ref.

The Cayin IHA-6 is not in the same class as Jot 2. Not as dynamic. Not as lively and exciting. The IHA-6 also has a tipped up upper mid and treble. Bass is less slammy and textured. Timbre is also better on the Jot 2. Another weakness of the IHA-6 that bothered me a little is that greyish blackground which hinders clarity. Jot 2 doesn't have that issue.

I have tried quite a few SS amps, including north of $2,000 ones. The Jot 2 has really good macro dynamics and slam that is better or equal those amps, but what amazes me is the way it brings microdynamics. I have never heard it before in any SS amps. Heck, some of the tube amps that I tried can't even do microdynamics like that.

Though I do not have them both in front of me, I can't recall anything that the IHA-6 can edge the Jot 2. Maybe staging and separation are slightly better on the IHA-6. To be fair, IHA-6 is not a bad amp; actually prefer it to Topping or THX. But the Jot 2 just raised the bar. Unless when you have a really warm setup, which then the IHA-6 could be a better match. Otherwise, Jot 2 is clearly the better choice.

Last edited:
May 4, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #1,537 of 2,933
The Jot 2 is the American "super" amp for $399.

It has the power, voltage and current to drive most anything, very, very well.

Totally re-designed and it shows!

Alex
I agree, I can't recommend it enough for any headphones. Moves Arya so easy... I think it can do Susvara as well. Must-have amp.

May 4, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #1,539 of 2,933
It will work with the Susvaras as well....quite a statement...I used it with them in testing.
Not surprised. It is an American muscle amp.

It also has American flavor. I can't stop listening to rock with this thing.

Mind you, the Jot 2 isn't a gentle amp. Not for the faint of heart.

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #1,540 of 2,933
I agree, I can't recommend it enough for any headphones. Moves Arya so easy... I think it can do Susvara as well. Must-have amp.
Hi JoseG86. I believe so far I’ve only seen your impression of Jot2 vs Singxer SA-1. Many thanks for that! Do you still keep both? Is Jot2 still a better option for your ears? The price difference after tax and shipping is only $150, and I can’t decide which one to order. Waiting time is about the same too btw.

May 5, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #1,541 of 2,933
Hi JoseG86. I believe so far I’ve only seen your impression of Jot2 vs Singxer SA-1. Many thanks for that! Do you still keep both? Is Jot2 still a better option for your ears? The price difference after tax and shipping is only $150, and I can’t decide which one to order. Waiting time is about the same too btw.
SA-1 is a bit more refined that Jot 2, at the same time Jot 2 sounds more organic specially in orchestras with lots of air and depth plus it's more overwhelming when powering headphones. Also the Jot 2 has 2 different sound signatures depending on using SE or BAL (SE laid back and BAL punchy).

If I lived in USA I'd go Jot 2 eyes closed. 5 Years warranty, very hard to beat. If you're EU/Asia based probably SA-1. Both amps deliver.

José

May 10, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #1,542 of 2,933
If I wanted to experiment with using the Bifrost 2, Jotunheim 2 with a Tube Preamp (ie, Lyr 2), would the best way to control volume and maximize performance be to turn the Jot 2 to Max (100% volume) and control volume via Pre-amp?

May 10, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #1,543 of 2,933
If I wanted to experiment with using the Bifrost 2, Jotunheim 2 with a Tube Preamp (ie, Lyr 2), would the best way to control volume and maximize performance be to turn the Jot 2 to Max (100% volume) and control volume via Pre-amp?
I don't know, but your question reminds me of a topic I saw in here a month or so ago. Somebody wanted to burn in their Jot 2, or their headphones, and they put their PC at 40% or 50%, and their Jot 2 at 80% or 90%, and they let some track play on loop for 13 hours. With their Jot 2 at 80 or 90 percent for 13 or 14 hours.

And then they had to send their Jot 2 to Schiit for repair. Fried op-amp or something.

Somebody told them: "always put the PC at 100%".

I would think 100% for your Jot 2 is *NOT* the answer, even if if you don't blow out your Jot 2. The optimum setting is never going to be 100%, would be my general, educated, guess.

Put everything at moderate levels, would be my guess. Don't put all the stress on one component in the chain. Take a little from each component. But I am no expert.

Except for the PC. The PC at 100%.

Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #1,544 of 2,933
digital sources should have their volume controls set at 100% to prevent loss of bit depth. for a tube pre-amp connected between the DAC and Jot 2, turn the tube pre-amp down, achieve about unity gain (somewhere between 9:00 and 11:00 setting) and control the volume with the last device in the chain (Jot 2) in your case.

May 10, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #1,545 of 2,933
Digital source (which is Roon) is fixed at max volume output. When I tested the Jot at 100% (Low-gain), the Lyr2 (also on low-gain) was already at around 10:00 to 11:00 volume for comfortable listening. I'd rather not have to use either on high gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back