Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Mar 31, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #1,411 of 2,948
Did anyone else here have issues with distortion with there Jot2? Since yesterday I have been having distortion issues. It was that bad with the Balanced, but when i switched to SE it was really bad. I tried changing cables and connecting it to other sources and DACS and the issue is the AMP. Kind of bummed as I haven't even had it a month and have a pair of Ananda's arriving tomorrow. Schiit was pretty quick to respond to my email and hopefully I will have a replacement soon. Really love the AMP though. Pairing it with a Modius for now, but plan to upgrade to a Bifrost 2 one day.
Yikes, hopefully you didn't damage the "op amp" section like I did, I just recieved my 2nd unit back repaired by Schiit.

I stupidly forgot to set source volume at 100 percent and compensated by turning the knob on the Jot 2 80 percent for 10 hours straight, this most likely damaged the amp and made every audio heavily distorted no matter what output I tried.

Mar 31, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #1,412 of 2,948
Yikes, hopefully you didn't damage the "op amp" section like I did, I just recieved my 2nd unit back repaired by Schiit.

I stupidly forgot to set source volume at 100 percent and compensated by turning the knob on the Jot 2 80 percent for 10 hours straight, this most likely damaged the amp and made every audio heavily distorted no matter what output I tried.
Damn, so unlucky!

Please if you have a Jotunheim 2 make sure to set your dac to 0dB!

Mar 31, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #1,414 of 2,948
Hi. I’m not really understanding this. I’m a relative newbie who has a BF2 and Jot2 coming soon. It makes sense that the source (MacBook or iPhone) would be set loudly. And then keep Jot volume at around 10 or 11. But where does DAC volume come into play?

This seems like a common sense thing but I’m still a little confused.

Mar 31, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #1,415 of 2,948

It sounds like there's something wrong with your source if that caused an issue. The only scenario I can think for this to have any effect is if your source as a DC offset.

Mar 31, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #1,417 of 2,948
Hi. I’m not really understanding this. I’m a relative newbie who has a BF2 and Jot2 coming soon. It makes sense that the source (MacBook or iPhone) would be set loudly. And then keep Jot volume at around 10 or 11. But where does DAC volume come into play?

This seems like a common sense thing but I’m still a little confused.
More than loudly set to receive and send signal without any kind of change. My Arya sits at 11-12 always

Mar 31, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #1,418 of 2,948
Well in my case, my source volume was probably set to 10dBs on Audirvana program.

I also hooked up to the Jotunheim 2 to my iDSD Neo dac/amp to use as an external DAC and that device has an amp section where you could set the dBs as well, I should have set the iDSD Neo to Variable mode which would make volume control on the PC the main source volume.
So it is possible for DAC/Amps devices to have dBs control too.

Mar 31, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #1,419 of 2,948
Why is that? Is there any benefit by doing that? I want transparency from DAC to AMP and let the AMP do its job unless I'm missing something from it...
You are correct but my dac has thin-film switched-resistor ladder network for controlling volume, so it doesn't distort signal at any volume position. I prefer that Jot2 operates at 50-60% volume position.

Mar 31, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #1,420 of 2,948
Did anyone else here have issues with distortion with there Jot2? Since yesterday I have been having distortion issues. It was that bad with the Balanced, but when i switched to SE it was really bad. I tried changing cables and connecting it to other sources and DACS and the issue is the AMP. Kind of bummed as I haven't even had it a month and have a pair of Ananda's arriving tomorrow. Schiit was pretty quick to respond to my email and hopefully I will have a replacement soon. Really love the AMP though. Pairing it with a Modius for now, but plan to upgrade to a Bifrost 2 one day.
I had the exact same problem with my Jot 2. It is in for service now, not sure what the problem was yet but I will update this thread when I find out. Some people have had problems with a specific opamp going bad but I guess we will see. Unfortunately my Gumby is down for the count too. The Gumby has two power transformers mounted to the board and in shipping (I got it third hand - not from Schiit) one came completely off and was bouncing around inside the case. So now I have to pay to get that repaired :frowning2:.

Mar 31, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #1,421 of 2,948
I had the exact same problem with my Jot 2. It is in for service now, not sure what the problem was yet but I will update this thread when I find out. Some people have had problems with a specific opamp going bad but I guess we will see. Unfortunately my Gumby is down for the count too. The Gumby has two power transformers mounted to the board and in shipping (I got it third hand - not from Schiit) one came completely off and was bouncing around inside the case. So now I have to pay to get that repaired :frowning2:.
I have always feared that considering that the transformers on most Schiit devices are mounted to the board.

Mar 31, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #1,422 of 2,948
Until now I thought I was the only one with these issues!

Mar 31, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #1,423 of 2,948

I didn't do anything like that. I've just been using it normally. I leave my Modius on all the time and I turn off my AMP when I'm not using it. My DAC doesn't have a volume control so can't change the dB. How long before you received your repaired Jot2 back?

Mar 31, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #1,425 of 2,948
I didn't do anything like that. I've just been using it normally. I leave my Modius on all the time and I turn off my AMP when I'm not using it. My DAC doesn't have a volume control so can't change the dB. How long before you received your repaired Jot2 back?
For the repair process I think it was 1-2 weeks from the time they recieved it to the time you get the repair completed email.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back