Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Jan 17, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #376 of 2,948
I thought the se was just as capable.

Sound quality it is. Balanced outputs are usually 6dB louder, just the nature of that signal path. On some DACs, people will say the balanced have better performance, but I can't tell any difference on my Bifrost 2. If not exactly volume matched, the louder source is usually the preferred one in blind tests.

Jan 17, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #377 of 2,948
Received my JOT2 yesterday, the first few hours was quite rough, comparing to my 4 year+ JOT1. Feeding it with my BF2 since October, after running it for 20+hrs, it is closing in, feels a bit more spacious, the treble is more tamed than before, I suppose I should give it more time.

BTW, I am on PC -> USB -> BF2 -> XLR -> JOT1/2 -> XLR -> FOSTEX TH-900MK2.

Attachments

• stack-of-schiit.jpg
    stack-of-schiit.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 0
Jan 17, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #379 of 2,948
Received my JOT2 yesterday, the first few hours was quite rough, comparing to my 4 year+ JOT1. Feeding it with my BF2 since October, after running it for 20+hrs, it is closing in, feels a bit more spacious, the treble is more tamed than before, I suppose I should give it more time.

BTW, I am on PC -> USB -> BF2 -> XLR -> JOT1/2 -> XLR -> FOSTEX TH-900MK2.
Just out of curiosity, how are you feeding the XLR signal to both the Jot1 and Jot2? Are you using an XLR splitter or switch?

Jan 17, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #382 of 2,948
I've never received Schiit spam despite being on that list for many years.

Side note - Jot 2 received yesterday. Early impression - it's really good. Reminds me of the Liquid Platinum a little - fast, clean, clear, but with better bass extension and impact.
Wish I could say the same re early impression. It sounded horrible in treble for about two days. And just like by magic, sound became quite smooth. One week in and sound opened up even more. This is one great amplifier.

Jan 17, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #385 of 2,948
Probably a stupid question at this point, I am sorry, but, this thing is class A or A/B or D??? I guess topping A90 is class D, and this jot 2 must be class A or A/B, but just a guess, thnaks.

Jan 17, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #386 of 2,948
Probably a stupid question at this point, I am sorry, but, this thing is class A or A/B or D??? I guess topping A90 is class D, and this jot 2 must be class A or A/B, but just a guess, thnaks.
Class A up to 500mW (I think) , thereafter A/B using their Continuity S for increased linearity. This amp does not get hot.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #387 of 2,948
Class A up to 500mW (I think) , thereafter A/B using their Continuity S for increased linearity. This amp does not get hot.

Asgard 3 is Class A up to 500mW, uses Continuity, and draws about 12 watts at idle (per Kill-a-Watt AC power meter). Anyone with such a watt meter measure Jot 2 AC power consumption at idle?

Jot 2 is using Continuity S, and I believe the Class AB switchover point is less than 500mW, given how cool it runs.

Jan 17, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #388 of 2,948
Asgard 3 is Class A up to 500mW, uses Continuity, and draws about 12 watts at idle (per Kill-a-Watt AC power meter). Anyone with such a watt meter measure Jot 2 AC power consumption at idle?

Jot 2 is using Continuity S, and I believe the Class AB switchover point is less than 500mW, given how cool it runs.
Yep, it makes sense. Probably biased to class A at much less than 500mW. It does run quite "cool."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back