Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Jan 13, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #316 of 2,948
Did you cancel your order? Honestly that's a wise decision if you did. Reading from the post (Schiit update for 1/13/2021?) previously you have given me. It seems like they are super busy which is fine. However, it seems like one guy is doing the assembly for a single device. Which is pretty bad if you are not an expert. Imagine having to do over 100 Jotunheims a day by yourself. where is the supervisors that will be reviewing the assembled product? Somewhere along the line, procedures will be missed. I am actually worried as well about this. And Its not really Schiits' fault or anything but its human nature to make mistakes and mistakes from fatigue and etc. I really dont want to get a product that I paid 400 dollars for and last me a few months then have problems. The reason why I am buying from an American company is for reliability in the first place.

Exactly, I think they same. but I just could not put it into words as good as you did. Imagine ordering one of these, from europe!!, imagine needing to use a warranty from EU, with back and forth shipping!!! no thanks, no thanks!!

Jan 13, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #317 of 2,948
Did you cancel your order? Honestly that's a wise decision if you did. Reading from the post (Schiit update for 1/13/2021?) previously you have given me. It seems like they are super busy which is fine. However, it seems like one guy is doing the assembly for a single device. Which is pretty bad if you are not an expert. Imagine having to do over 100 Jotunheims a day by yourself. where is the supervisors that will be reviewing the assembled product? Somewhere along the line, procedures will be missed. I am actually worried as well about this. And Its not really Schiits' fault or anything but its human nature to make mistakes and mistakes from fatigue and etc. I really dont want to get a product that I paid 400 dollars for and last me a few months then have problems. The reason why I am buying from an American company is for reliability in the first place.
I did yes. I’ll just run Magnius for a while and come back to it later. I had the same concerns.
I feel you man, I am going to wait another 2 days if I don't see anything I am going to cancel and get a Topping stack instead from Apos Audio.... I ordered from them previously before and they manage to get the order in 4 days (delivered to me ) in total during Christmas from China. Insane speed,

Jan 13, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #318 of 2,948
IMO, The Jot2 is better than the A90. I know it's easy for me to say, but I think it's worth the wait.

Jan 13, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #319 of 2,948
IMO, The Jot2 is better than the A90. I know it's easy for me to say, but I think it's worth the wait.
I've ordered a Bifrost 2 with my Jotunheim 2. Honestly I really hope I get both of them. I have heard great reviews for both products, but If I have to wait any longer for them I might just get the Topping stack since both products are really good as well. Esp in terms of distortion levels per Amirm's review in ASR. I am currently studying for my licensed exams and was hoping to get these products to enhance my studies hence why I am kind of in a rush to get things going. (It sounds like total BS but I am using it as a gift to myself and motivation to study to pass)

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #320 of 2,948

This is really of no consequence, unless having to rma something is really an issue ? If by chance there's an issue, besides waiting time right now you are covered for 5 years ! I understand waiting for stock before ordering and having to wait. I had to wait for Bifrost 2. There was small issues and I believe I made the right move on waiting till sufficient stock was available.

Jan 14, 2021 at 12:09 AM Post #321 of 2,948
So from most of the posts I have been seeing here, it doesn’t seem like getting the DAC module with the Jot 2 is common. I ordered mine with the 4490 card because I liked the idea of having one device.

Just wondering if anyone have any feedback about getting the card. Mine has not shipped yet. Is it that much better to go with an external dac to connect to?

Jan 14, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #322 of 2,948
So from most of the posts I have been seeing here, it doesn’t seem like getting the DAC module with the Jot 2 is common. I ordered mine with the 4490 card because I liked the idea of having one device.

Just wondering if anyone have any feedback about getting the card. Mine has not shipped yet. Is it that much better to go with an external dac to connect to?
I think having one box is really good, I actually prefer just one box. Simple and minimal. I am no expert but according to some people having an internal dac card isnt as good as having a dedicated DAC. Per Z review and Amirm from ASR. I am not an expert at all, I just have a passion for data and analysis. If you are similar, you should check out Amirm's reviews in ASR.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 3:18 AM Post #323 of 2,948

advantage of internal DAC is having a simple, more compact, one-box solution, with no need for extra RCA interconnects.

advantage of an external DAC is having more inputs (e.g. the Modi 3+ has USB, coax S/PDIF, and optical Toslink S/PDIF).

Currently, the internal DAC modules use the CMedia USB interface chip, while Modi 3+, Modius, and Bifrost 2 have Schiit's unique Unison USB interface chip. Note that Modi Multibit and internal Multibit DAC module currently use the CMedia USB interface as well.

Jan 14, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #324 of 2,948

Why the sub-par component(s) on the Jot 2 wasn't flagged at the initial build and test is curious. One may assume it passed the build testing, but developed problems with greater use

That said, I have no worries that the Jot 2, traveling across our great country for delivery to me on Monday, wont be 100%. If problems do develop, the Schiit Jot 2 has a 5 year warranty. Most competitors, including the Topping A90, have 1 year protection. An added benift to buying American, I don't have to send my product half way around the world if something goes wrong.

As far as the repair staff, Jason (co-owner and head analog designer), is helping out with diagnostics and repair, to rectify the apparently bad component(s). I'm not too concerned with his competence to do so. If you know the story, Schiit started in Jason's garage, with he and a couple of others doing everything from design to assembly. Jumping back in the trenches with a hot iron in hand probably won't be too foreign to him.

In the end, having my 3rd headphone amp delivered to me a week or so late ranks pretty low on my irritation meter.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #325 of 2,948
Mine arrived, and I had a chance to do some listening for a couple of hours. The setup I listen to most often is the D90/A90, but I got the Jotenheim 2 for my other setup, where it is replacing an old Prehead mk I (which I've had for a looong time and really liked). The Jotenheim seems like a pretty big step up from my old Prehead. At some point, I may do some comparions between the A90 and Jot 2.

My only complaint so far is the misplaced (in my view power switch). Should be on the front!

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #326 of 2,948

I can vouch for saving and getting an external DAC. I used to use a Modi Multibit, which has an equivalent USB input to the card's, and I remember it was very sensitive to defects with the source you used it with, for example, using it straight from a good PC would be alright, but using it with a phone through an OTG cable would result in noise when moving the phone, and if I used a cheaper cable it would pick up even more noise. All of this went away with Unison USB, when I upgraded to Bifrost 2. If I were you I would either save up for that, or get Modi 3+, which now has Unison USB.

Furthermore, having the two additional SPDIF inputs will help if you ever plan to get a dedicated streamer (e.g. I use a Raspberry Pi with an Allo DigiOne Signature on top), since many have SPDIF coax and/or optical out.

Jan 14, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #327 of 2,948
Yeah, i'll likely come back around and get the Jot down the road when things have calmed down. When I cancelled the Jot, I ordered a Magnius since I sold my other Schiit to help fund it. (Hopefully those are in stock as it says) I just don't think NOW is the time to order one with all that goin on.

Jan 14, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #328 of 2,948
I'm glad I jumped on jot 2 within the hour it launched on Dec 16. I've had it since before Christmas. It's worth the wait.

How do you like the pairing of the Jot 2 with the Aeolus? The Liquid Platinum is my favorite amp for the Aeolus, but I'm curious to hear your feedback about the synergy of the Aeolus with the Jot 2.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #329 of 2,948
Yeah, i'll likely come back around and get the Jot down the road when things have calmed down. When I cancelled the Jot, I ordered a Magnius since I sold my other Schiit to help fund it. (Hopefully those are in stock as it says) I just don't think NOW is the time to order one with all that goin on.

Now there's a delay on the Magnius...

Users who are viewing this thread

• G0rt
Back