Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Dec 20, 2020 at 1:51 AM Post #19 of 2,936
Must be a new design, not sure if I wanna take the top off just yet.

Be careful with this thing guys don't use it without adult supervision. It plays so clean I'm blasting my headphones and not even noticing it.
We are not talking about taking the top off - only loosening and re-tightening the volume knob's set screw. This has been known to happen on other Schiit amps.

Dec 20, 2020 at 3:18 AM Post #20 of 2,936
New one doesn't have a screw exposed on the knob FYI

20201220_001708.jpg

Dec 20, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #21 of 2,936
Re: stickers

Last two Schiit products I bought (Bifrost 2 and Jot OG) came with Schiit stickers too. I believe they’re shipping them with every product now.

Bit of a bummer that two people already received defective units. Hopefully these are isolated cases.

Looking forward to some listening impressions to make my wait even harder :)

Dec 20, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #22 of 2,936
Re: stickers

Last two Schiit products I bought (Bifrost 2 and Jot OG) came with Schiit stickers too. I believe they’re shipping them with every product now.

Bit of a bummer that two people already received defective units. Hopefully these are isolated cases.

Looking forward to some listening impressions to make my wait even harder :)
My headphones all sound like they've received an significant upgrade, even the easy to drive NightOwl (no balanced plug yet) and easy-ish Senn 58x.

It hasn't changed the sound of my Grado SR 125, original edition but a late example of that, but I do feel like it's a better version of itself ... perhaps a 325 more than a 225 but I'm guessing. More of everything listed above, with no down side. Another easy to drive hedphone that wouldn't be expected to repay the improvement in power.

Colorful, clean, powerful, spacious, Very up front sound.

Jimbo makes himself heard.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #24 of 2,936
Does it have better soundstage depth compared to Jot OG? That is my primary complaint with it.

Second complaint would be the slightly harsh treble, but that is rather source-dependent.
I don't hear any harshness at all. No noise at all when it's quiet, no distortion anywhere. I've heard people say the Jot 1 sounded forward, and I think this one sounds like it could be too if I am understanding the term correctly. The notes seem to come faster, harder, almost as if it's before they are due. Maybe I'm hearing the better control the amplifer maintains over the voice coil, forcing the speaker to respond rather than having the momentum of movement from the previous ... NAH!!!!! LOL I have no idea what I'm talking about.

It just sounds good. I'm dead serious when I say the headphones sound better (and bassier!).

I haven't heard the Jot 1, but the soundstage is broad, like a liberal Justice expanding your civil rights past the original intent of the founding fathers.

The Senn 6xx through the balanced is a little more of a close call. The smooth Sabaj presents a more mellow feel that goes well with the current 2014 live musical selection from king crimson.

For those who wanteed slightly harsh treble from the new Jot, I found it.

Back in the studio, Indiscipline, a cut on 1981's Discipline, is suprisingly very well handled by both.

The ludicrously matched parts seem to be doing more for a clear stereo sound than a few extra millybits less overall distortion.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #26 of 2,936
New one doesn't have a screw exposed on the knob FYI

20201220_001708.jpg
Interesting. That means that it is only a push-on knob similar to what is used on their smaller amps. You can simply pull it forward a bit as it likely got pushed in during packaging. It also makes more sense that this would occur than if it had a set screw. What is unusual is that the photo of the board for the Jot 2 shows a D-shaft which are typically used with set screws where a spline shaft is used for push-on knobs. However, they could now be making enough that they're able to get a D-slot push-on or the knob is no longer solid aluminum but only has an aluminum cover. I get mine tomorrow and will check.

Dec 20, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #28 of 2,936
New Jot will likely sound significantly different from Heresy, both because they're using completely different designs (op-amp vs. Discrete) and because Heresy measures somewhat "better". Jot seems to have more premium parts too, according to Schiit.

Dec 20, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #29 of 2,936
New Jot will likely sound significantly different from Heresy, both because they're using completely different designs (op-amp vs. Discrete) and because Heresy measures somewhat "better". Jot seems to have more premium parts too, according to Schiit.
I’m fine with that. I find the Heresy too clinical, which is what it’s for but in my short but varied journey, it isn’t my favorite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back