Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 18, 2023 at 10:24 PM Post #113,701 of 149,142
No objection from my side. Unison is a noise filtered usb input, needed for usb sources but not superior to a coax source. If so, I would like to see objective proof. :)
How about subjective proof? In the form of the designer of the DAC in question preferring Unison to coax?

Also weren't you part of a really long discussion thread where @ArmchairPhilosopher explained how with spdif there's no way to recover from certain errors/dropped packets, as opposed to Unison where it is possible? Could've been somebody else.

There's also an old Stereophile interview where Mike M talks about how you can actually shift things around in the soundstage by moving the optical cable that's transmitting the digital audio.

Mar 18, 2023 at 10:41 PM Post #113,702 of 149,142
How about subjective proof? In the form of the designer of the DAC in question preferring Unison to coax?

Also weren't you part of a really long discussion thread where @ArmchairPhilosopher explained how with spdif there's no way to recover from certain errors/dropped packets, as opposed to Unison where it is possible? Could've been somebody else.

There's also an old Stereophile interview where Mike M talks about how you can actually shift things around in the soundstage by moving the optical cable that's transmitting the digital audio.
Yes, I would like to see an objective comparison of a post unison and post detection toslink for the same digital stream.

I recall that discussion but my experience with short, glass or even plastic, fiber patch cords is that I do not have a problem up to 192kHz/24bit signals.

And no, if fiber patches are not abused, bent beyond its minimum radius, moving them around will not cause dropouts. Fiber cables are immune to RF interference, a far worse problem with metal cables.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #113,704 of 149,142
I would like to see an objective comparison
xx9me.jpg

Mar 18, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #113,705 of 149,142
I know that there was some recent problem with the authenticity of their vinyl releases but prior to their admission of naughtiness was any one able to discern they had indeed been naughty? I kinda-sorta doubt it, especially amongst beings like Fremer or the quite possibly more fetid and foul charlatan Lavorgna.

ORT The Not-So-Reticent :beerchug:
My trepidation was not for the quality of recordings re-released by the label, but rather the possible responses related to their recent marketing faux pas.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2023 at 10:54 PM Post #113,710 of 149,142
Anyone else having a problem with the Schiit website? I can't login and when I try to add items to the cart it just says cart is empty.
I went through the motions of purchasing and encountered the same issue.

** Looping-in @Jason Stoddard

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2023 at 11:03 PM Post #113,713 of 149,142
Yeah, we're working on it.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 18, 2023 at 11:05 PM Post #113,714 of 149,142
I listened to the mscaler at Canjam NYC this year over the tt2 and the dave. In that noisy environment on openback cans I could not hear the difference. I told that to Rob Watts who disappeared for a few minutes and came back with some (closed) Stealths. On those it was easy to hear the effects of upsampling. And the difference between 700+ kHz and returning to native 44k at the push of a button was striking. In favor of upsampling. The differences between 44 and 192 for example are less. I was an instant convert. Would love to feed my Schiit DACs past 192 someday!
A cynic might say that's because the Chord DACs are not that good at pushing conversion artifacts way outside the audible band, they need external upsampling to do that for them :grimacing: I can accept that from NOS DACs, that's the nature of NOS, but the Yggdrasil already upsamples internally to 384kHz, which I suspect is enough for the job.

Mar 18, 2023 at 11:23 PM Post #113,715 of 149,142
One of Ted, from that other company's, most recent DSD DACs pretty much goes all out with galvanic isolation to battle jitter. He claims he can hear a few picoseconds of jitter. They even removed the streamer module from the DAC to reduce jitter-causing noise.
:rolling_eyes::rolling_eyes::rolling_eyes::rolling_eyes: How many picoseconds of timing variation as your turntable rotates? A cesium clock drifts 2 nanoseconds/day, around 1.4 picosecond/minute...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back