Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 3, 2023 at 4:29 AM Post #112,186 of 145,580
I have bumped into this one a few times when I was selling Hi Fi -Check that the little mushroom shaped tip on the plug - is it the type that pushes in and expands the contacts on the plug ? if so , gently tease out the tip a little - .
Most banana plugs are 4mm but 5mm and 6mm also exist as do sockets , I like the 'leaf type ' banana plugs that fit pretty much any thing , double check that a blanking plug has not been left in the socket as a lot of European loudspeakers and amps are shipped with 4 mm plastic rods in the sockets - Dont ask me why!!
But why?! Why oh why? :sweat_smile:

Mar 3, 2023 at 4:58 AM Post #112,188 of 145,580
Mar 3, 2023 at 5:00 AM Post #112,189 of 145,580
I have a very well recorded upright bass scale (track 7 on Paul McGowan's The Audiophile's Guide - Reference Music) and a few other tracks (especially "Rachmaninoff: Prélude in C-Sharp Minor, Op. 3 No. 2" on "Midnight at Notre-Dame" by Olivier Latry or "Richter: Dream 1" on "Sleep" by Max Richter, among others) that I use to test the flatness and/or "boomyness" of a speaker and room's bass response, and they never get boomy no matter where I place them. At least not in the room they're in right now. (Fully carpeted floor, fully filled book shelves on the left and vertically slatted window blinds on the right to scatter first reflections, and a vaulted ceiling that is at an angle that just so happens to prevent first reflections to the sweet spot entirely. No bass traps or any other form of acoustic treatment.)
I will check if I can find few of these tracks on Qobuz to test my non-ported Magico S1 speakers.

Mar 3, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #112,190 of 145,580
Is that not what a philosopher is?
Not quite. A philosopher is one that never stops thinking, whether or not they write down or speak up about their thoughts.

But... it sure is hard for most of us to stop writing/speaking once we've started. Many philosophers, often, don't know when to shut up. But beware! Many who don't know when to shut up are not philosophers - which usually results in you, the victim, being exposed to a stream of nonsense rather than a stream of thoughts. Being the victim of a philosopher who doesn't know when to shut up is therefore much preferrable to being the victim of a non-philosopher who doesn't know when to shut up.

I don't know, but I think I'll shut up now. :D

Mar 3, 2023 at 6:16 AM Post #112,191 of 145,580
If only there were a balanced preamp in the same form factor to pair up with Bifrost and Gjallarhorn x 2. (HINT, HINT SAGA 2 HINT, HINT.)
Freya S has to do the job. great looks if you put them next to each other :)

Mar 3, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #112,193 of 145,580
Important personal (but sine wave-related) announcement:

Every time I boop my cat on the nose he follows my finger tip with his eyes and gets cross-eyed and I LOVE it. 😁
This is better than a picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mar 3, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #112,194 of 145,580
I have bumped into this one a few times when I was selling Hi Fi -Check that the little mushroom shaped tip on the plug - is it the type that pushes in and expands the contacts on the plug ? if so , gently tease out the tip a little - .
Most banana plugs are 4mm but 5mm and 6mm also exist as do sockets , I like the 'leaf type ' banana plugs that fit pretty much any thing , double check that a blanking plug has not been left in the socket as a lot of European loudspeakers and amps are shipped with 4 mm plastic rods in the sockets - Dont ask me why!!
The explanation i heard was the spacing of some European countries' electrical outlet plugs are the same spacing as some speakers.

Edit. Erratic Gravy explained this as well.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #112,196 of 145,580
Today I tried to make the MMb2 NOS mode visible.
I played a 1kHz test tone with different sampling rates, recorded it and analyzed it afterwards.
I noticed that as soon as the sampling rate is not 44.1 kHz, the result is practically identical to the OS mode.
Yesterday I read from someone who programs fir filters that it largely nullifies the effect of the NOS circuit if you oversample the signal beforehand (in my case neutron player). That would prove my measurement to some extent.
But I wonder why the signal is already at 48kHz, identical to the OS?

As you can see in the spectrum analyzer, and in the spectrogram, the fundamental, and the overtones only at 44.1kHz is somewhat blurry, or lil distorted, as you would expect.

Can you explain to me why this is so?

Is an analog filter active in NOS mode?
(I think so.)
Which sampling rate would be ideal for this filter, related linearity?

@Jason Stoddard

nos48khz.ms.JPG

nos44.1khzms.JPG

os.ms.JPG

20230303_160425.gif

nos48khz.JPG

nos44.1khz.JPG

nos176.4khz.JPG

OS
os2.jpg

NOS 44.1kHz
nos 44.1khz2.jpg

48kHz
nos 48khz.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #112,198 of 145,580
Yes, that is of course clear. However, I now mean the technical side, related linearity.

Mar 3, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #112,199 of 145,580
Today I tried to make the MMb2 NOS mode visible.
I played a 1kHz test tone with different sampling rates, recorded it and analyzed it afterwards.
I noticed that as soon as the sampling rate is not 44.1 kHz, the result is practically identical to the OS mode.
Yesterday I read from someone who programs fir filters that it largely nullifies the effect of the NOS circuit if you oversample the signal beforehand (in my case neutron player). That would prove my measurement to some extent.
But I wonder why the signal is already at 48kHz, identical to the OS?

As you can see in the spectrum analyzer, and in the spectrogram, the fundamental, and the overtones only at 44.1kHz is somewhat blurry, or lil distorted, as you would expect.

Can you explain to me why this is so?

Is an analog filter active in NOS mode?
(I think so.)
Which sampling rate would be ideal for this filter, related linearity?

@Jason Stoddard

nos48khz.ms.JPG

nos44.1khzms.JPG

os.ms.JPG

20230303_160425.gif

nos48khz.JPG

nos44.1khz.JPG

nos176.4khz.JPG

OS
os2.jpg

NOS 44.1kHz
nos 44.1khz2.jpg

48kHz
nos 48khz.jpg
You win the Coveted "NoK"! :L3000: The Nod of Knowledge is given to the post that best makes me like one of the Penguins in Madagascar...HUZZAH! I have no idea what you said but I am certain it was highly technical so I'll
bfdf002db44c43f679fa0ada04d25c9a.jpg

Well done, indeed!

Mar 3, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #112,200 of 145,580
Anyway, I am absolutely thrilled with the MMb2, especially in NOS mode!
This brings exactly what I have wanted for years.
More musicality, more air, more space, and overall a much more analog sound!
Perhaps this does not fit every headphone.
But to an ultra high-resolution headphones like the HE-1000 Stealth, the NOS mode fits perfectly.

20230224_080645 (1).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back