Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 21, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #111,241 of 149,161
Interesting. What mods are available for the Mimby...? :thinking:
I’m not fully sure. I had asked someone what DACs they like paired with the Magni Piety and a modded Mimby was mentioned but the mod portion wasn’t elaborated on

Feb 21, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #111,243 of 149,161
No, and the coloration on the splitters is confusing and contrary to what you're doing. When you plug one splitter into the white RCA jack, think of that entire splitter as being white. For the splitter plugged into the red RCA jack, think of that entire splitter, both ends, as being red. Then connect the outputs accordingly.
Electrical tape is your friend here, tape red around each of the three connectors on one Y splitter, and white around each of the three connectors on the other Y splitter. I have done this on the non-split non-coloured RCAs from my amp as well, makes it very easy to move things around without having to worry about any L/R switchage.

22ADEEA9-E111-4A81-AEE3-FEF14776AC78.jpeg

Feb 21, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #111,244 of 149,161
I’ve never soldered or modded. I think I’d like to purchase a Modi Multibit 1 someday and try mods available for it. Any suggestions on where to start learning and on soldering setup?

I can’t say my hands are the most steady, but I could still see how soldering goes
What mods are you speaking of? Most of the Modi Multibit is SMT (Surface Mount Technology), so it is not the item that you should select foryour first ptoject. Youtube has many learn to solder videos.

Feb 21, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #111,245 of 149,161
This is a decent overview of the basics from Doc B over at Bottlehead

Having quickly scanned through the video, rather than watched it in its entirety, it seems mainly concerned with wiring and through-hole components. Whilst good techniques to learn, its relevance to modding Modi Multibit 1 is limited as I believe the Modi largely used surface mount components requiring different soldering techniques.

Feb 21, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #111,246 of 149,161
Check the thread Hacking Schiit on the friendly site. Basically it's opamp and servo replacement.
Whch 'friendly ' site? A*R or SBAF?

Feb 21, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #111,247 of 149,161
I’ve never soldered or modded. I think I’d like to purchase a Modi Multibit 1 someday and try mods available for it. Any suggestions on where to start learning and on soldering setup?

I can’t say my hands are the most steady, but I could still see how soldering goes
Not suggesting that you do not try any modding; however, I would suggest reading Jason’s ’Schiit Happens’ 2016 chapter On Modding, Hubris and Reality. The post does not specifically mention Modi Multibit as it was published before the Multibit version was produced.

If I remember correctly, Modi Multibit 1 mainly uses surface mount components which require different soldering and desoldering techniques on small components, some with very closely spaced connections.

Feb 21, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #111,248 of 149,161

@pavnobi, have I got a deal for you! I have a Schiit coaster amp with all the surface mount components soldered. The through-hole components aren't installed yet and there are also a couple of sockets suitable for the tubes. A project like this would be a better learning experience than jumping headfirst into surface mount.

You'd have to supply the tubes and the correct wall wart. Details are here on Schiit's website. All I ask is $10.20 reimbursement for USPS shipping. PM me if you're interested.

Jon

Feb 21, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #111,249 of 149,161
Having quickly scanned through the video, rather than watched it in its entirety, it seems mainly concerned with wiring and through-hole components. Whilst good techniques to learn, its relevance to modding Modi Multibit 1 is limited as I believe the Modi largely used surface mount components requiring different soldering techniques.
That particular video was chosen based on OPs choice of words (highlighted below)

Topics covered in that video are: types of solder | solder stations | tools | wiring | insulator | soldering resistors | soldering components | overheating | tip | soldering | trimming

Figured starting with the basics was an okay suggestion :)

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #111,250 of 149,161

Maybe the most basic starter but a dead practical use case, you could make up some interconnect cables. Very basic soldering. Opportunity to try different cable types and flavours and glean any sonic differences (if any) you may hear. Check continuity and test for shorts and voilà.

Feb 21, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #111,251 of 149,161
Electrical tape is your friend here, tape red around each of the three connectors on one Y splitter, and white around each of the three connectors on the other Y splitter. I have done this on the non-split non-coloured RCAs from my amp as well, makes it very easy to move things around without having to worry about any L/R switchage.
I also like colored heat shrink tubing for this kind of thing.

Feb 21, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #111,252 of 149,161
Feb 21, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #111,253 of 149,161
re: hand-soldering SMT components on a PCB. My advice is - if you are not an advanced professional with years of experience just don't do it unless it is a PCB you are willing to throw away.

Feb 21, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #111,254 of 149,161
@Ableza Honestly your get off my lawn & spare me the BS attitude is much more on point for SBAF than head-fi 😃.

ASR can go suck a fat GE tube and complain about the distortion and poor  SQ design. (They don't really listen anyway, what do they care about SQ).

Re: Piety DAC pairings. An un-modded Modi Multibit 1 sounds just dandy with it.... thats what I have paired with my Piety....Modding isnt necessarily required...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back