Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 24, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #103,666 of 148,647
Listening to:

The turkey is in the oven, starting to smell really good!

1669302854696.png

Nov 24, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #103,668 of 148,647
Schiitr-Less Meet December:
Yearly Wrap-Up, Prizes, Beer n Other Gear
Nueces Brewing Company
Corpus Christi, TX

Okay, consider this a pre-announcement of sorts: we're gonna be having a meet in Corpus Christi in December. As in, a meet meet. As in, bring ya gear, even if it ain't ours, set it up, and have at it. With beer. And prizes. Including all analog products we introduce next year, and all digital products we introduce next year.

Yeah, we are nuts.

That's OK, though, right? I mean, everyone wants to drive down to Corpus Christi in the middle of the week in the middle of December. Or maybe not. Which is why we'll also be streaming live, thanks to Randy at CheapAudioMan. So if you aren't in Texas, you can still enjoy(?) the festivities. You can't enjoy the beer or the barbecue or housemade carbonated lemonade, but hey, there are limits to what we can do without holodecks. Come on, 24th century! You're just around the corner. And much more rational than today. Maybe in part due to genetic engineering, because the premise that humans are the sane ones in a universe full of crazies is, well, kinda nuts. And they did have genetic engineering wars, right? Or is that not canon?

Anyway. A meet. In person. In Corpus. With tables for you to set up any gear you want on. With beer and BBQ. And prizes. If that sounds interesting, please join us for:

Schiitr-less Meet December
At Nueces Brewing Company

Wednesday, December 14, 2022
4-8:30PM CT

401 S. Water St
Corpus Christi TX 78401

If you want to bring gear and set up, please contact Denise Martin, denise@schiit.com, because space is limited on the tables. I'll see if I can bring some crazy thing. We'll see what happens!

I hope to see you there!

All the best.
Jason
This is simply awesome ... what a great idea. The best way IMO for new folks to get acquainted with gear and people in this hobby. We held local meets here back around 2012 and that's where I heard my first Schiit gear (and the Audez'e LCD-3 which blew me away). Well done, Jason and Schiit Audio!

Nov 24, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #103,669 of 148,647
Too many really good ones, but if I had to list my favorite concert: Weather Report w/ Jaco Pastorius. Heavy Weather, Black Market, Jaco playing a solo stint during intermission... Amazing.
So many great concerts ... but this one wins it in my book.

My first live concert(s) were at the Valparaiso (IN) University Chapel and were all classical / chamber music. They were part of the Community Concert Series and my Mom was the program's director. I helped hand-out programs at the door. The best shows were when they played the organ :)

First rock concert - VU gymnasium - Edgar Winter in 1974. They played Frankenstein. We also saw the Harlem Globetrotters play a game there ... it was a rough show; Curly Neal had a heart attack and they had to take him to the hospital.

Valpo Chapel.jpeg

Nov 24, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #103,670 of 148,647
Snuck into my first concert as well when I was 13 or 14. An outdoor blues fest with James Cotton and James Montgomery at a venue above the Sikorsky plant along the Housatonic river. There was a tennis court in front of the stage off to one side. I borrowed a racket and figured all concerts must be like this. Walked the better part of 20 miles each way there and back.

Nov 24, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #103,671 of 148,647
I owned a La Voce prior to my Yggy.

The Yggy smoked it, and that was the original A1 version at the time.
I have no idea if the La Voce had been upgraded when I heard it, that has been a few years back. We did a blind test on 20 DACs then but this time it will be maybe 15 and we will be using at least two versions of the latest Yggdrasil. Last time we had an early version of the Gungnir as well but I own one so it is easy enough to compare one with one of the top few DACS I bring home for an extended listen. I suspect we will have at least 60 total test subjects including myself, last time we had that many or more and my results were pretty close to that of the group. I had two DACs reversed in the final order of finish. I will say that Schiit is the only company from which we are allowing multiple DACS.:ksc75smile: We are using an $8,000 maximum cost so that eliminates other Aqua DACs.

This comparison is not for everyone and I will use our tube comparisons as an example of what we do. Say a person likes a slamming bass, or increased mids or whatever, those are just a few criteria, we rate on 25 so a tube may have a few characteristics a person likes but may test lower on several others. Some of the top 6sn7s tested well across all criteria and those numbers were an average of what the entire group thought. It is a 100 point scale so some tubes ended up in the high 90's, others in the 60's or 70's yet even the ones with the low scores might have been wonderful in a few areas.

Some 6sn7 tubes sold for $1,000 or more, a couple were priceless because they were one of a kind. (engineering samples). No tester knew if a tube was a well known brand, was worth $1,000 or $25. That eliminates bias. To this day people swear by specific tubes but I can tell you many did not fare as well as those people might hope. This is not my system, it was a group effort and many of those involved are pretty well respected in their fields. My role is relatively small, I built all cables being used and I designed and built four tube amplifiers that we use on occasion. Some things I would have to talk about in PM but I will just say it is an easy way for me to hear and evaluate several DAC's at the same time with the same music and the same gear. I cannot do this going from one Audio showroom to another. :ksc75smile:

I will not know which DAC is which, if we are going by weight the PrimaLuna weighs 28.7 lbs. :)

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #103,673 of 148,647
Well, you wouldn't have to reveal the identity of the DAC. It would be up to the viewers of the performance to discern which DAC is being portrayed without falling to the fallacy of intentionality...
I believe I follow what you are saying. :ksc75smile:

I was kidding, I have no problem saying which DAC I will end up with. My only caveat is this, if I like DACS 4,5, and 6 better than 1,2, and 3 in order of finish, I may have to listen to all six once again blind, still it will boil down to what I like best. Oddly enough though in the past, my results were quite close to the groups. The theory being that a group will be more accurate than any one individual in the group. The accuracy of crowds.

I will then give a long listen to each of the DAC's on my home system and in the mix will be the same amp, music, cables, and headphones the group used as well as maybe ten other setups.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #103,674 of 148,647
@adydula - I have the Mofi album from 30+ years ago. Still sounds amazing. A classic audiophile track.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #103,675 of 148,647
Listening to:

The turkey is in the oven, starting to smell really good!

1669302854696.png
We are just taking side dishes and my daughter is baking the turkey. I end up carving the turkey so I may take along my own knife this year. Not everyone has the same interpretation of what a sharp knife is. :ksc75smile: A great album by the way.

Nov 24, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #103,676 of 148,647
009.JPG

Got a new rack and finally got a decent picture of my stuff. Schiit plays an important part.

Nov 24, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #103,677 of 148,647
009.JPG

Got a new rack and finally got a decent picture of my stuff. Schiit plays an important part.
That appears to be a tube amp on the bottom, if so which one?

Nov 24, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #103,678 of 148,647
My first live show was in Jr. High. A school assembly. The U.S. Air Force Band. They opened with the usual pomp and circumstance pieces. But, a few songs in, out blasts Roundabout by YES. An awesome performance. I've been hooked on YES ever since. 😃

My first concert, requiring paid tickets, was Stevie Ray Vaughan. The Fabulous Thunderbirds opened for SRV. The Thunderbirds sounded great. The SRV sound man sucked. Horrible sound, but a good performance. Figures...! 🤪

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back