Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 24, 2022 at 1:24 AM Post #103,636 of 145,580
Now there's an interesting side bar for this thread, first live concerts.
The Beach Boys for me.

The first live concert I recall attending was the Seattle Symphony Orchestra on a school field trip in, I want to say, 4th grade? It was something like every 4th grader in Seattle at the concert hall, all bussed in for the concert. I wonder if they still do that. I am guessing probably not, but it was a cool experience. I never went to a rock concert until I was in my 20's.

Nov 24, 2022 at 1:28 AM Post #103,637 of 145,580
Interesting. Although I never learned music formally or played an instrument, my parents dragged us to classical performances from very young. Our favorite record at home was a narrated version of Prokofieff's "Peter and the Wolf" with the different instruments, representing different characters, were explained. I kept going to many concerts, and also built amps and speakers so that I could better enjoy my record collection, until I was too busy with graduate school and family. And that was the "training" that got me into frequent live music (pre-COVID) and increasingly exotic audio gear...

I think we had that same record growing up. Always liked it.

Nov 24, 2022 at 4:46 AM Post #103,638 of 145,580
Perfectly put!

Although there's also a third option: Autism.

Most people's brains filter out sounds that are irrelevant to what they're currently focusing on. That means that during conversations in a crowded place, for example, their neurological setup allows their perception to let secondary noises and voices fade into the background, while whatever sound or voice they're focusing on remains in the foreground. When listening to music, background noise becomes less pronounced. When they read, most sounds are no longer really perceived at all. Only when something out of the ordinary happens acoustically, their brains let it break though to the front of their perceptions.

In most neurotypical people, this happens automatically with little to no effort.

Some people on the spectrum, however, don't really have the ability to do that. To them, everything their ears pick up ends up being consciously perceived more or less unfiltered. Background noises and voices not relevant to their current conversation remain more or less exactly as loud as the voices they try to focus on. When listening to music, environmental noises remain just as pronounced as they would be without the music. While reading, no sounds fade into the background, they just remain as loud as they always are.

This might be sharing a little too much, but I belong to that second group of people.

It's a blessing, and it's a curse.

It's a blessing, because I'm always aware of what's going on around me. Literally always. You will be hard-pressed to sneak up and startle me, and no matter how noisy it gets inside a car, I more or less always know where other cars are located around me. It's a great "safety feature" to have access to.

But it's also a curse because the amount of energy it takes me to even just halfway decently filter out one voice while listening to a conversation in a crowded place. Half an hour into a lively group conversation at your average echoy American family restaurant and I'll be utterly drained for the rest of the day.

It also means that I'll hear everything in the music. Every detail and every nuance, but also every single flaw that's in the mix, even the tiniest bit of clipping. It all bubbles through to the front of my perception. I think that that's why I'm able to hear that DACs like Yggy OG and Gungnir MB are actually worlds apart in their sound signature. But it also means that a lot of music that's less well produced sounds like nails on a chalk board to me, which is especially true for most mainstream productions.

So, yeah.

There's hearing, there's listening — and then there's Autism. 🤪
Thats a fascinating insight - and to a large extent I too fall into the second group - insofar as I am either fully aware of all sound stimuli OR I totally 100% shut it off! - im mean total input switch off !! But for enjoying a Live musical event the total immersive experience is almost spiritual for me !!

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2022 at 4:46 AM Post #103,639 of 145,580
My first concert was Be Bop Deluxe opening for Thin Lizzy. Tickets cost $1.02 since the sponsoring radio station broadcast on 102.1MHz.

One of my favorite concert memories was billed as Tim Weisberg opening for Rennaisance. Weisberg couldn't perform and Rennaisance played both sets.

Nov 24, 2022 at 4:55 AM Post #103,640 of 145,580
The first live concert I recall attending was the Seattle Symphony Orchestra on a school field trip in, I want to say, 4th grade? It was something like every 4th grader in Seattle at the concert hall, all bussed in for the concert. I wonder if they still do that. I am guessing probably not, but it was a cool experience. I never went to a rock concert until I was in my 20's.
Hmmn -First concert -Tricky where to draw the performance timeline - does my father playing Chopin on a baby grand piano at home when I was 4 years old count or is it watching the pit band jam after a rehearsal of Hair - age 8 - I suppose Genesis Knebworth 1978 is probably my first big concert event .

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2022 at 5:51 AM Post #103,642 of 145,580
I actually started making a list of concerts a little while back, so here's the list I prepared earlier (and will grow as I remember any more!)

First one was Sky with my Dad (and it was awesome musically and sonically, not so much a show) followed by the polar opposite Kiss (awesome show, music and sound was meh). The rest in no particular order, (venues in Melbourne, AU).

Seeing Iron Maiden on the tour for Number of the Beast amazing, but my top two are Pink Floyd and Toto. Both over three hours, both musically & sonically brilliant. (Delicate Sound of Thunder tour for Pink Floyd is avail on BluRay, highly recommended)

Sky - Comedy Club, Melbourne
Kiss - Waverley Park, Rod Laver Arena
Adam and the ants - Festival Hall
Roxette - Rod Laver Arena
Poison - Rod Laver Arena
Foreigner - Rod Laver Arena
Iron Maiden - The Palais, Festival Hall, Rod Laver Arena
Def Leppard - The Espy Ballroom, Rod Laver Arena
Yngwie Malmsteen - The Palace
Toto - The Palace
The Coors - The Palais
Tina Arena - Melbourne Concert Hall (didn't get the girl :unamused: ), Grainstore Tavern
Loose Change (Virgil Donati) - Grainstore Tavern (There is a live to 2 track of this floating around, highly recommended)
Changes (Virgil Donati) - Metropol Hotel
Hans Valen (Virgil Dontai) - Corner Club
Deep Forrest - Melbourne Concert Hall
Queen - Sports and Entertainment Centre (The Works)
Pink Floyd - Rod Laver Arena (Delicate Sounds of Thunder)
Motley Crüe - Rod Laver Arena (haha .. took my Mum to this as she wanted to see what it was all about!)
Twisted Sister - Rod Laver Arena
Van Halen - Rod Laver Arena
David Lee Roth - Rod Laver Arena
Steve Vai - The Palace
Dream Theater - The Palais x 3
Deep Purple - Sports and Entertainment Centre
Deep Forest - Melbourne Concert Hall
Bon Jovi - Sports and Entertainment, Rod Laver Arena x 2, Telstra Dome
Dire Straits - Sports and Entertainment Centre
John Farnham - Melbourne Concert Hall, Rod Laver Arena
Chris deBurgh - Melbourne Concert Hall
Little River Band with JF - Olympic Hotel
Birtles, Shorrock, Goble - The Forum
Neil Diamond - Rod Laver Arena
Jimmy Barnes - The Metro

Nov 24, 2022 at 5:52 AM Post #103,643 of 145,580
My first concert was probably David Bowie shortly after Aladdin Sane was released. In my younger days (the early ’70s) I also managed to see Yes, ELP, Greenslade, Peter Gabriel, Pink Floyd, Refugee and Rick Wakeman amongst many others. Most recently I have seen Marillion, Phil Collins (on his recent comeback tour) and Jeff Lynne’s ELO. I have also seen Genesis a number of times including the Knebworth concert. Oh, and I also saw Monty Python in concert many, many years ago. And yes, I’m a definite Prog fan.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2022 at 7:05 AM Post #103,645 of 145,580
Curiously enough, extraneous noise is not an issue at classical concerts, no cigarette lighters waiving about, no sing along, (except at Easter for Handel's Messiah).
No members of the orchestra throwing themselves off the stage and into the audience to be carried aloft.
No underwear or other items being thrown on stage etc. (Although I have heard of flowers being tossed on the stage at operas).
The occasional cough, especially during cold and flu season is about it.
Can't decide if we classical concert goers missed out on something or not?

The most seriously bizarre band I've ever seen? Philadelphia, Electric Factory, Late Cretaceous period....."The Fugs"
1669291734080.png

Track Listings​

1Slum Goddess
2Ah, Sunflower Weary of Time
3Supergirl
4Swinburne Stomp
5I Couldn't Get High
6How Sweet I Roamed from Field to Field
7Carpe Diem
8My Baby Done Left Me
9Boobs a Lot
10Nothing
11We're the Fugs
12Defeated
13The Ten Commandments
14Cia Man
15In the Middle of Their First Recording Session the Fugs Sign the Worst Contract Since Leadbelly's
16I Saw the Best Minds of My Generation Rock
17Spontaneous Salute to Andy Warhol
18War Kills Babies (Live)
19The Fugs National Anthem (Live)
20The Fugs Spaghetti Death (No Redemption No Redemption)-A Glop of Spaghetti for Andy Warhol (Live)
21Rhapsody of Tuli

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #103,647 of 145,580
First concert I saw was Yes - Big Generator Tour. Follewed by Rush- Hold Your Fire.

The last concert I went to was Yes- Close to the Edge Tour 50th Anniversary a couple month ago.

Seen lots of prog rock in my years including Pink Floyd - Momentary Lapse of reason. Had a whole Jimmy Buffett phase. In recent years taking in Keb Mo, Norah Jones, Diana Krall, and intermixing Dave Matthews Band.

My wife and I try to do one concert a year.

Taking the kids to see Blue Man Group in Boston Later this year.

Nov 24, 2022 at 7:18 AM Post #103,648 of 145,580
Curiously enough, extraneous noise is not an issue at classical concerts, no cigarette lighters waiving about, no sing along, (except at Easter for Handel's Messiah).
No members of the orchestra throwing themselves off the stage and into the audience to be carried aloft.
No underwear or other items being thrown on stage etc. (Although I have heard of flowers being tossed on the stage at operas).
The occasional cough, especially during cold and flu season is about it.
Can't decide if we classical concert goers missed out on something or not?

The most seriously bizarre band I've ever seen? Philadelphia, Electric Factory, Late Cretaceous period....."The Fugs"
1669291734080.png

Track Listings​

1Slum Goddess
2Ah, Sunflower Weary of Time
3Supergirl
4Swinburne Stomp
5I Couldn't Get High
6How Sweet I Roamed from Field to Field
7Carpe Diem
8My Baby Done Left Me
9Boobs a Lot
10Nothing
11We're the Fugs
12Defeated
13The Ten Commandments
14Cia Man
15In the Middle of Their First Recording Session the Fugs Sign the Worst Contract Since Leadbelly's
16I Saw the Best Minds of My Generation Rock
17Spontaneous Salute to Andy Warhol
18War Kills Babies (Live)
19The Fugs National Anthem (Live)
20The Fugs Spaghetti Death (No Redemption No Redemption)-A Glop of Spaghetti for Andy Warhol (Live)
21Rhapsody of Tuli

A dream tour would be The Who, The Bee Gees, The Flying Burrito Brothers, and the Fugs. It would be called...

The "Who Gibbs a Flying Fug" tour!

....I'll show myself out...

Nov 24, 2022 at 8:00 AM Post #103,649 of 145,580
I actually started making a list of concerts a little while back, so here's the list I prepared earlier (and will grow as I remember any more!)

First one was Sky with my Dad (and it was awesome musically and sonically, not so much a show) followed by the polar opposite Kiss (awesome show, music and sound was meh). The rest in no particular order, (venues in Melbourne, AU).

Seeing Iron Maiden on the tour for Number of the Beast amazing, but my top two are Pink Floyd and Toto. Both over three hours, both musically & sonically brilliant. (Delicate Sound of Thunder tour for Pink Floyd is avail on BluRay, highly recommended)

Sky - Comedy Club, Melbourne
Kiss - Waverley Park, Rod Laver Arena
Adam and the ants - Festival Hall
Roxette - Rod Laver Arena
Poison - Rod Laver Arena
Foreigner - Rod Laver Arena
Iron Maiden - The Palais, Festival Hall, Rod Laver Arena
Def Leppard - The Espy Ballroom, Rod Laver Arena
Yngwie Malmsteen - The Palace
Toto - The Palace
The Coors - The Palais
Tina Arena - Melbourne Concert Hall (didn't get the girl :unamused: ), Grainstore Tavern
Loose Change (Virgil Donati) - Grainstore Tavern (There is a live to 2 track of this floating around, highly recommended)
Changes (Virgil Donati) - Metropol Hotel
Hans Valen (Virgil Dontai) - Corner Club
Deep Forrest - Melbourne Concert Hall
Queen - Sports and Entertainment Centre (The Works)
Pink Floyd - Rod Laver Arena (Delicate Sounds of Thunder)
Motley Crüe - Rod Laver Arena (haha .. took my Mum to this as she wanted to see what it was all about!)
Twisted Sister - Rod Laver Arena
Van Halen - Rod Laver Arena
David Lee Roth - Rod Laver Arena
Steve Vai - The Palace
Dream Theater - The Palais x 3
Deep Purple - Sports and Entertainment Centre
Deep Forest - Melbourne Concert Hall
Bon Jovi - Sports and Entertainment, Rod Laver Arena x 2, Telstra Dome
Dire Straits - Sports and Entertainment Centre
John Farnham - Melbourne Concert Hall, Rod Laver Arena
Chris deBurgh - Melbourne Concert Hall
Little River Band with JF - Olympic Hotel
Birtles, Shorrock, Goble - The Forum
Neil Diamond - Rod Laver Arena
Jimmy Barnes - The Metro
Hmmn good list - in no particular order I have Live concerts x times seen
Depeche Mode x2
Genesis X4 including worlds 2nd appearance of Vari Lights used in a concert !!
Genesis , Peter Gabriel re-union , 2nd Oct 1982 Milton Keynes - im still drying my clothes out from that one !!
Frank Zappa x2
Dweezil Zappa X2
Chuck Berry
Benny goodman
Buddy Rich Orchestra X2
Wynton Marselis ( scuse spelling )
BB King
Dave Brubeck
Stephan Grappelli
Gary Numan
Muddy Waters
The Beach Boys
Santana
Elki Brookes
the Damned
Iron Maiden - still a pub band at the time
Steve Hacket X 4
Led Zeppelin
Commander Cody and his lost planet airmen
The new Barbarians
The Selector
Desmond Decker
Pink Floyd -delicate sound tour Wembly stadium London Awesome
Pink Floyd - same tour London arena - absolutely dire performance zero atmosphere
Pink floyd - pulse tour - earls court - spectacular show - but same old same old set - yawn !!
Yes -
Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe
Eric Clapton
Elton john
Bonny Raitt
Curtis Steigers
Talk talk

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back