Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 23, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #103,607 of 148,420
@Paladin79 -- Gotcha. One can't believe everything they find on Google anyhow. 😀

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #103,609 of 148,420
Bet I'm the only one here who has seen Jandek in person
You win, I think.🤪

I saw Dylan and Paul Simon in concert in Indianapolis and as I was leaving they passed out free tickets to the Moody Blues because they could not fill the venue. It saddened me because at one time they were a favorite group but times had changed. Of course I went back to see them.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #103,610 of 148,420
To all of those in the US - have a great Thanksgiving tomorrow. Count your blessings and keep family and friends close.

To those elsewhere - have an awesome Nov. 24th!

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #103,612 of 148,420
IIRC, there's a limit to the plasticity of the brain for aural processing. If you never hear certain sounds while very young, you'll never hear them period.
Affects language processing to a significant extent.

I've wondered if this phenomenon affects people who grow up only listening to recordings and never/rarely listen to "live performances."
Interesting. Although I never learned music formally or played an instrument, my parents dragged us to classical performances from very young. Our favorite record at home was a narrated version of Prokofieff's "Peter and the Wolf" with the different instruments, representing different characters, were explained. I kept going to many concerts, and also built amps and speakers so that I could better enjoy my record collection, until I was too busy with graduate school and family. And that was the "training" that got me into frequent live music (pre-COVID) and increasingly exotic audio gear...

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #103,613 of 148,420
My first was
Debbie Gibson
My second was Guns’n Roses with Skid Row as the opener. I’m pretty sure I got a contact high from that outdoor concert.

I’ve seen Metallica a couple times. Tool was amazing live. I’ve been to Lalapalooza and Lilith Fair.

One of my favorite concerts though was at Summerfest in Milwaukee. If you don’t know it’s a music festival that features 11 open stages as well as a big amphitheater for the premium acts. The 11 stages are available to all with general admission. One day in ‘94 I went by myself without knowing who was playing. I saw a big crowd waiting at one of the stages only to find out Journey was performing with Steve Perry back up front! They played for an hour and killed it. I even got a joint passed to me which was nice. Then I moseyed over to another stage and Foreigner started playing. Lou Gramm present and accounted for. Another great performance! Both bands sounded like they were at their peak. It was completely unexpected and it only cost me $12 to get in!

Nov 23, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #103,615 of 148,420
Interesting. Although I never learned music formally or played an instrument, my parents dragged us to classical performances from very young. Our favorite record at home was a narrated version of Prokofieff's "Peter and the Wolf" with the different instruments, representing different characters, were explained. I kept going to many concerts, and also built amps and speakers so that I could better enjoy my record collection, until I was too busy with graduate school and family. And that was the "training" that got me into frequent live music (pre-COVID) and increasingly exotic audio gear...
I have a version of Peter and the Wolf narrated by Bernstein! Brilliant schiit.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #103,617 of 148,420
Nov 23, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #103,618 of 148,420
I also liked Magister Ludi. Back in the day when I read Stranger in a Strange Land, On the Road, etc.
Yup read Stranger in a Strange land, On the Road... how aboutvZen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Nov 23, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #103,619 of 148,420
To all of those in the US - have a great Thanksgiving tomorrow. Count your blessing and keep family and friends close.

To those elsewhere - have an awesome Nov. 24th!
I always celebrate American Thanksgiving... getting off early to eat Turkey at the pub and watch NFL 🏈

Nov 23, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #103,620 of 148,420
So many showing us a part of their life by giving us the concerts and songs that are a part of their life's soundtrack.
Thank you and know that I do mean that because music is not just personal but emotionally so.
Your soundtrack will be with you throughout your life and at it's end. Trust me on this.

You guys are great. Even the few that I disagree with and who I know kinda sorta "hate" me, LOL! Just great.
I have rambled enough this night. Time to drift off to the sounds of the ocean, aka The Beach Boys, singing a couple of songs that I think are not generally known.

"Busy Doin' Nothin'" followed by another fairly unknown to most folk and sung by Dennis Wilson..."Forever". I have been there and back more than once and heard so many songs but of late these two seem to fit for the end of all things. When? No telling really, so live like you mean it.

In all ways and for always, be well. And Happy Thanksgiving!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back