Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 23, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #103,546 of 148,575
I know, you're American through and through. But not everything in life needs to be a competition.
And remember: The way you and your group sets up these tests means that you pre-screen for participants with precisely the kind of hearing and aural perception characteristics that are required to figure these sometimes minute differences. That process is by no means flawed, because it leads to exactly the outcome that you aim for: Being able to discern even the smallest differences in how a piece of gear performs. But the resulting group of people is—by that process' very design—not representative of what would be considered "normal" or "average" hearing.
Does too...

Nov 23, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #103,547 of 148,575
Does too...
Some of our volunteers are hoping to become audio engineers so I suppose there will be a competition for jobs later on. Others are in the performing arts so they are used to competition I would think. :ksc75smile:

Nov 23, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #103,548 of 148,575
I know, you're American through and through. But not everything in life needs to be a competition.
And remember: The way you and your group sets up these tests means that you pre-screen for participants with precisely the kind of hearing and aural perception characteristics that are required to figure these sometimes minute differences. That process is by no means flawed, because it leads to exactly the outcome that you aim for: Being able to discern even the smallest differences in how a piece of gear performs. But the resulting group of people is—by that process' very design—not representative of what would be considered "normal" or "average" hearing.
Like any group associated with @Paladin79 would be considered "normal". Average, maybe. 🤣 🤣

Nov 23, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #103,549 of 148,575
Like any group associated with @Paladin79 would be considered "normal". Average, maybe. 🤣 🤣
Thanks for the compliment!!! In no way shape or form are we trying to be representative when it comes to detecting small differences in gear. It would be like grabbing ten people off the street and asking for their review of a specific DAC. Six might say, "what's a DAC?"

Seriously though, try to find a group of people willing to listen for differences in fuses. I asked about collecting the gear used in the tv show Bosch and they were all for it lol. Now mind you we help each other just like I try to help a few folks on here with tubes, cables, VU meters, etc. Bill can be the same way if you catch him on a good day. I would invite him to the DAC comparison but he is liable to make the rest of us look bad.:L3000:

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #103,551 of 148,575
Time to start a change.org campaign????

Would be a nice addition to the stack :)
You know what I'd also like? A matching "power conditioner"/"battery" same size as Magni with 3 outputs for Magni, Modi and Loki. (a Magni-sized Cthulhu)

Now that's a change I can get behind! :wink:

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #103,552 of 148,575
A local friend is very happy with MP3's and has expressed on many occasions that he cannot tell them from cd quality and above, he is quite happy with a fairly low end audio system.
IIRC, there's a limit to the plasticity of the brain for aural processing. If you never hear certain sounds while very young, you'll never hear them period.
Affects language processing to a significant extent.

I've wondered if this phenomenon affects people who grow up only listening to recordings and never/rarely listen to "live performances."

Nov 23, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #103,553 of 148,575
Some of our volunteers are hoping to become audio engineers so I suppose there will be a competition for jobs later on. Others are in the performing arts so they are used to competition I would think. :ksc75smile:
Send them our way...it's time to get some help.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 23, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #103,554 of 148,575
Nov 23, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #103,555 of 148,575
IIRC, there's a limit to the plasticity of the brain for aural processing. If you never hear certain sounds while very young, you'll never hear them period.
Affects language processing to a significant extent.

I've wondered if this phenomenon affects people who grow up only listening to recordings and never/rarely listen to "live performances."
Interesting and certainly food for thought.

Nov 23, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #103,556 of 148,575
Nov 23, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #103,557 of 148,575
I just listen to the music. If I must strain at a Bit to perhaps "hear" a difference then it isn't a difference worth hearing.

To me.:beerchug:

Looks are more my subjective thing, so long as it does not involve my own.

It is said that a thing of beauty is a joy for ever. But that which does not capture the eye, which is said to be the window to the soul, is but a toy for ever.

Nov 23, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #103,558 of 148,575
Schiitr-Less Meet December:
Yearly Wrap-Up, Prizes, Beer n Other Gear
Nueces Brewing Company
Corpus Christi, TX

Okay, consider this a pre-announcement of sorts: we're gonna be having a meet in Corpus Christi in December. As in, a meet meet. As in, bring ya gear, even if it ain't ours, set it up, and have at it. With beer. And prizes. Including all analog products we introduce next year, and all digital products we introduce next year.

Yeah, we are nuts.

That's OK, though, right? I mean, everyone wants to drive down to Corpus Christi in the middle of the week in the middle of December. Or maybe not. Which is why we'll also be streaming live, thanks to Randy at CheapAudioMan. So if you aren't in Texas, you can still enjoy(?) the festivities. You can't enjoy the beer or the barbecue or housemade carbonated lemonade, but hey, there are limits to what we can do without holodecks. Come on, 24th century! You're just around the corner. And much more rational than today. Maybe in part due to genetic engineering, because the premise that humans are the sane ones in a universe full of crazies is, well, kinda nuts. And they did have genetic engineering wars, right? Or is that not canon?

Anyway. A meet. In person. In Corpus. With tables for you to set up any gear you want on. With beer and BBQ. And prizes. If that sounds interesting, please join us for:

Schiitr-less Meet December
At Nueces Brewing Company

Wednesday, December 14, 2022
4-8:30PM CT

401 S. Water St
Corpus Christi TX 78401

If you want to bring gear and set up, please contact Denise Martin, denise@schiit.com, because space is limited on the tables. I'll see if I can bring some crazy thing. We'll see what happens!

I hope to see you there!

All the best.
Jason

Last edited:

Nov 23, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #103,559 of 148,575

Nov 23, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #103,560 of 148,575
The performers or the engineers? :wink:
This goes back to your thoughts on aural abilities and live music.😜😜 Some of our test pieces are classical and someone who is say a violinist is most likely hearing things I doubt I could detect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back