Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 22, 2022 at 2:18 AM Post #103,471 of 148,582
This is what I am curious to know
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-6835#post-17234656
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-6835#post-17234710

TL/DR; Modi Multibit2 features: Unison USB interface, toslink optical and RCA coaxial s/pdif inputs, megacomboburrito 8X upsampling, AD5547 DAC chip, SE (RCA) outputs.

(added)
also Non-Over-Sampling MCB bypass mode.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-6878#post-17248036

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 2:22 AM Post #103,472 of 148,582
Nov 22, 2022 at 7:18 AM Post #103,473 of 148,582
Circling back to this, it looks like this is  not the case with the Piety, at least from the pictures i looked at, right? I'm wondering if the new Modi Multibit that's coming would stack correctly with the mini link then.

Btw, there is a pre order for a diagonal mini link for what you mention so they won't need to be crooked https://snakeoilsound.com/products/mini-link-hardwood-interconnect-cable-for-schiit-modi-magni-stack
Heres what the Magni OG, 3+, Piety and Vali 2+ look like on the back:
Will order a Modi MB.
1669119467240.png

Nov 22, 2022 at 8:27 AM Post #103,475 of 148,582
3 minutes?! If I was a Tuber reviewer, be over in 30 seconds: "I like it - you probably won't - try it yourself. Don't forget to subscribe - and check my merc shop on the way out."

Prefer to audition gear myself rather than endure a 30 minute exposition about nothing. Nothing relevant to my preferences. Sure, could get costly - but over the years I've narrowed the field. If it's a solid sand amp - not interested. If it's a Delta-Stigma DAC - hard pass. R2R DAC without ear-filling burrito filtering, nope.

Maybe I'll miss some gems along the way, but willing to take that risk. Have enough barely sufficient quantity of tubes - a few hundred, a few tube amps and a couple dozen phones to suit my fickle moods and preferences. :ksc75smile:
I too prefer to audition the gear and listen to as many devices as possible at a given time. I will score the DAC's without knowing brands, types, reviews. It is about the sound.

My local group has mostly tube amps, I suspect around 90% so our four test amps are tube based. Now as far as DS vs R2R, some of those types did surprisingly well in a test we ran three years ago. The output stage is very important and of course you are hearing the analog output when you listen. This time I want some tube output DAC's in the mix because there were few in our last tests. This time I hope to experience several gems and narrow the field down to a few that I will try with my home system but that is just me. :ksc75smile: My friends assured me there would be Schiit DAC's in the mix.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #103,477 of 148,582
Life is good!

1669125056485.png
Nice! Same stack I have (waiting on the Piety), plus I have a Loki Mini+. Highly recommend it and the Lokius.

Nov 22, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #103,479 of 148,582
T-90S has rounded Turret.
T-90A and T-90M have welded, polygonal turrets
I'm thinking M1A1. There are things "missing" though, but we are talking about a cardboard kitty toy LOL

Nov 22, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #103,480 of 148,582
There are things "missing" though, but we are talking about a cardboard kitty toy LOL
Are you sure this is not actually one of the older Russian Tanks from storage. :thinking:

Nov 22, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #103,481 of 148,582
Are you sure this is not actually one of the older Russian Tanks from storage. :thinking:
I was wondering more about how it would survive something like an IED. Poor kitty! But cats have 9 lives right?

Nov 22, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #103,482 of 148,582
Now as far as DS vs R2R, some of those types did surprisingly well in a test we ran three years ago.
I know this won't make it to the test because of its complexity and cost, but for (my ears, my music), the only setup that dominated Yggdrasil A2 with the DNA Stellaris and various ZMF headphones has been HQPlayer DSP preprocessing to DSD256 into Holo May KTE. The Y. A2 had been the longest survivor among DACs in my R2R DAC explorations of the last seven years, but since it was not getting much play since the HQPlayer boost to the May, I let it go to a new home where it's getting full time play. I considered trying other DACs in the same price bracket as the May, but what I read about them failed to convince me to go through the cost and logistics of even borrowing one.

Nov 22, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #103,483 of 148,582
I've had a chance to listen to some material with different headphones using the Magni+ and Modi+, here are my thoughts:

My trusty ol' Irish-made HD-650 from the 2000s, owned them the longest of any of my headphones (and, yeah, they've had some replacement parts over the years, earpads and the headband pad, cable - but the drivers are still kicking butt for me!): they have always been a set of cans that blossom nicely when given enough power and can really expose weaknesses in amplification, so I am pleased to say the Magni+ drives them well at all listening volumes I tested, and to my ear helps the low frequency reproduction notably. Getting them out and going through some very familiar tracks reminded me of how much I love 'em, even with the HD-660 S right beside them they don't seem deficient so much as different. HD-660 S are faster and resolve some low frequency content better depending on the recording, but the frequency balance on the HD-650 is super well tuned, just so pleasing with so much material. I love the Sennheiser house sound. If they ever decide they're done with headphones I'm gonna be in a scramble to get backups of the 660 S and 650, they're just awesome to me. And the Schiit stack is great with them, no reservations recommending these for other Sennheiser fans.

Beyer 250-ohm DT-990 and DT-770: man, every time I get these out right after using my other cans it strikes me again just how different they sound! But, the Magni+ doesn't let them down in the least, they just have a very different voicing than my other preferred headphones. Their 250-ohm drivers are not the easiest to bring the best out of, but this little solid state amp kicks them into gear nicely. Wonder how it'd do with the old 600-ohm ones? Not gonna find out :beyersmile: The DT-770 have been a real favorite over the years for me, might be my preferred closed headphone and listening to them via the Schiit stack is a treat. Lows that can get muddy with poor amplification are a lot tighter which helps to get past an impression of "well that's a lot of bass" to being able to actually hear the distinct bass elements in a mix better. Good stuff here, really pleased.

AKG Q701 - I got these back when they were new, Made in Austria, I've always loved these for their strengths which I feel are disproportionately greater than their weaknesses. They never were the toughest built headphones; though the frame has hung in there just fine I've had to refurbish other aspects as time has gone on so they too have non-stock pads, cable, and I did the "rubber band mod" when the elastic bands gave up the ghost along the way (works great, head band tension is just fine, I'm sure it's in the eventual future of my K712 Pro too - maybe don't use little tiny elastic bands on nice headphones, huh? I digress). I feel they're my best cans for throwing on to check certain critical aspects about a mix, high frequency resonances & subtle panning elements that the others might conceal when I'm working in my DAW. Curiously, getting the AKG K712 Pro didn't change this calculus for me - balancing the bass with the other frequencies was a great trick and makes them very pleasant to listen to, but the focus and presentation of the Q701 is ideal for getting the "close look" at some aspects, whereas the K712 give a fuller presentation of the whole mix. Q701 has pretty anemic bass, but it's still there - I'd probably mix bass-heavy if I relied only on the Q701, but I've got monitors and a sub (not to mention other, bassier cans!) for a better look at the big picture when I don't want its particular "view." Modi+/Magni+ sounds very exciting with the Q701 or the K712 Pro - no problem keeping up with the needs of whatever material I checked with them.

The Magni+ does not change the fundamental voicing of any of the cans I've used, which makes sense, but it seems like it helps them "do their thing" better. I seriously feel like the Modi+ improves the soundstage on these over my prior converter setup - Modi+ definitely has superior crosstalk and distortion figures, and I frankly wouldn't be surprised if the channel balance is better with this setup from converter through to amplification - maybe that's to do with it. I noticed aspects of some favorite recordings I had not heard so specifically before with the Modi+ and Magni+ stack.

Nice work Schiit!

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #103,484 of 148,582
I know, I know. If you had not been born a boy you would have had no toys at all. Your mom had to tie a pork chop around your neck so the dog would play with you.😜😜
I knew someone who walked around with his hands in his pockets all the time. He had no toys as a child.....

Nov 22, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #103,485 of 148,582
OK ok, count me in for ten likes no matter what you post in the future. I can only give you one at this time. :ksc75smile: Post a photo of your ferret digging a hole and you will earn a like from me.:beerchug:
How can one post a picture of one's ferret. You do know they live in one's trousers???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back