Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 14, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #102,931 of 148,088
I need your help, and thought you guys wouldn't mind indulging me. When did the Vali 2 ++ get released? (approximate date of course).

Thanks!

Leo

Nov 14, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #102,932 of 148,088
Nov 14, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #102,933 of 148,088
How about an album recommendation that you have never seen on this or other HiFi forums? (Who can know for sure if it HAS been mentioned, as long as you haven't seen it...)

I'll start with Bella by Teddy Thompson.

Give me some good stuff to listen to, please! :)
cover.jpg

Nov 14, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #102,935 of 148,088
After speaking to the key members of my local group last night we may well be including all three + versions of the Yggy in some DAC testing. Starting number of DACS will be around 15. Many of us will do initial blind listens after the DACs have warmed up for a few days. New DAC's should get about 7-10 days burn in. Those scores will narrow the field down to five DACS and then we will get a larger group of listeners involved with those final five. First group could be 10-35 people depending on who is available, and the final group should be 50-75 if all goes well. I will not know any of the DACS for sure till the after the final tests are completed and then I can choose which DAC's to bring home out of the last five. From those I will choose the DAC I want for my system. After the tests some of the DACs will be sold to members of the group unless they are borrowed. Any excess after that may end up on Ebay. Maximum dollar amount for any DAC is $8,000. Chances are we will use headphone amps and at least four in the group have the new Focal Utopias so we will borrow those. All cables will be those I have constructed and they all have the same amount of burn in. I made recommendations but I will not know what DACs are used for sure till after all testing is done.

Wow, a very impressive endeavor. I look forward to the results. PM, if more convenient...? :nerd:

Nov 14, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #102,936 of 148,088
Wow, a very impressive endeavor. I look forward to the results. PM, if more convenient...? :nerd:
PM causes fewer arguments lol. I may only announce the final few DACS I am choosing between for my own system. They will most likely come from the top five unless I radically disagree with the outcome of the testing. If that is the case I will say so. :ksc75smile:

I will be donating a lot of labor to refurb and or repair some audio gear that will be used as a fundraiser. This helps high school and college students who may not have much cash on hand. I will also be adding proceeds from some mini radial speaker builds so in effect whichever DAC I choose will only cost me time and labor.

A slight amendment, if a particular Yggy wins I would most likely say so in this thread.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #102,937 of 148,088
You may have already seen this, but just in case, here's a video from Schiit showing the BF 2 update lights sequence.

Interesting, I finally was able to install the card I ordered on DoR (have been recovering from surgeries etc... and have only now started feeling up to being able to mess with it) mine did not flash like what is shown in the video when I "updated" the firmware. It just cycled left to right the whole time then stopped and cycled left to right one more time and stayed on the first one.

I assume it flashed correctly because it works with the new card installed and if I hold the button a few seconds when I release it, it breathes which I believe is indicating NOS mode. When I hold it a few seconds again when I release it, it goes solid again.

Nov 14, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #102,938 of 148,088
I saw the latest Darko (paid) promotion post today and I was wondering.
How crowded are the oceans today? As every new audio gear release is presented as a new "Flagship".
I already knew there were a lot of flagships around in the smartphone world.
Now it's getting even more crowded with all these audio flagships. :ksc75smile::beyersmile:

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #102,939 of 148,088
How crowded are the oceans today? As every new audio gear release is a prestented as a new "Flagship".
Now it's getting even more crowded with all these audio flagships. :ksc75smile::beyersmile:
Makes me wonder where one would have to go to find mediocre audio equipment?

Nov 14, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #102,941 of 148,088
How crowded are the oceans today? As every new audio gear release is presented as a new "Flagship".
Hats off for enduring a Darko video @wout31

I find him unwatchable :beyersmile:

Nov 14, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #102,942 of 148,088
Hats off for enduring a Darko video @wout31

I find him unwatchable :beyersmile:
I like some of his videos and some of the videos of others.

I miss reading many of the reviewers that switched to YouTube.

I used to read Innerfidelity and the Audiophiliac and found the articles way more informative than videos... watching Zeos is a true test of one's attention span and patience.

Nov 14, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #102,943 of 148,088
In re: film and TV soundtracks, I tripped over a YouTube video from Charles Cornell covering the music from Mr. Roger's Neighborhood a few days ago.

He collaborated with Johnny Costa, a jazz pianist/composer and the music was performed "live" and was unique for each episode.

I had no idea.

Mr. Rogers' Music Was Way More Intricate Than You Remember

I haven't seen the 2019 film about Mr. Rogers, but I definitely will soon.

Nov 14, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #102,944 of 148,088
Also, for more contemporary TV/film soundtracks, I've been getting increasingly interested in the work of Bear McCreary. I first learned of him from his work on Battlestar Galactica. Tons of stuff since then like Outlander, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Lord of the Rings - Rings of Power, and The Walking Dead. And more.

Nov 14, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #102,945 of 148,088
Also, for more contemporary TV/film soundtracks, I've been getting increasingly interested in the work of Bear McCreary. I first learned of him from his work on Battlestar Galactica. Tons of stuff since then like Outlander, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Lord of the Rings - Rings of Power, and The Walking Dead. And more.
Yes, but ever since The Walking Dead and The Game of Thrones, these soundtracks are all starting to sound "Samey".

I rather have Barney Miller or Cheers instead.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back