Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 9, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #102,586 of 148,506
I like it! reads better.
In what way? Just curious.

Arguably, 44, 48, blank space, 2x, 4x, 8x would be more legible…
Yes! The space would have been great. At night with the DAC on the other end of the room, and the old layout, 44.1 and 96 look the same:
⚪⚫⚪
With the new layout, 44.1 and 48 look the same:
⚪⚪

don’t really need 1x, and separating the multipliers from the base can help one give a quicker scan.
I also like the idea of this:
⚪️️⚫⚪⚫⚫⚫
⚫⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫
⚪⚫⚪⚪⚫⚫
⚫⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫
⚪⚫⚪⚪⚪⚫
⚫⚪⚪⚪⚪⚫
⚪⚫⚪⚪⚪⚪
⚫⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪

The X1 LED would always be lit and serve as a visual reference for the first two (again, in a dark room from a distance)

Or this:
⚪⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫
⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫
⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫
⚪⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚫
⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫
⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫
⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚫
⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #102,587 of 148,506
Mark said that he can get the Yggy upgrade, but only in black.

I’d already decided the ‘upgrade’ is a waste of money for me, but the black case is a complete deal breaker!

All of my Schiit gear is silver:
Yggy
Freya S
Folkvangr
Lokius

I don’t want any black Schiit:beyersmile:
Weird, when I messaged him he said he won't do it for the next two months, what the hell

Nov 9, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #102,588 of 148,506
I wish I could hear all of the Schiit DACS, I really want to buy more Schiit, but I have never heard anything that sounds as good as my Modius E -> Freya+ -> Vidars. I have no idea how anything could sound better to me.

Should I consider myself lucky? :beyersmile:
My kids say yes.

Nov 9, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #102,589 of 148,506
In what way? Just curious.

OXXOXX and
XXOOXX

Are easier to distinguish at a distance. Granted, not great, but… I don’t listen with my eyes fixated on the sampling rate very often

Yes! The space would have been great. At night with the DAC on the other end of the room, and the old layout, 44.1 and 96 look the same:
⚪⚫⚪
With the new layout, 44.1 and 48 look the same:
⚪⚪

I also like the idea of this:
⚪️️⚫⚪⚫⚫⚫
⚫⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫
⚪⚫⚪⚪⚫⚫
⚫⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫
⚪⚫⚪⚪⚪⚫
⚫⚪⚪⚪⚪⚫
⚪⚫⚪⚪⚪⚪
⚫⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪

The X1 LED would always be lit and serve as a visual reference for the first two (again, in a dark room from a distance)

Yep, works

Or this:
⚪⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫
⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫
⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫
⚪⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚫
⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫
⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫
⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚫
⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪

Nov 9, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #102,590 of 148,506
I’m a little bummed about this Yggy update. I got the GS because it was the cheapest best option (and I’m cheap) but with the idea that I could upgrade to OG and Unison for slightly less than the cost of new OG.

But the new chassis is pretty damn sexy and I would actually use the remote control to switch between my disc spinner and my RPi. I totally get the cost but this Schiit adds up quick! Plus I still want Tyr and all together that’s $5K!
I know, I know. First world problems.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #102,592 of 148,506
I'm pretty sure I "need" a Yggy+. If I really like my A1 Gumby, which flavor should I upgrade to?
I say LIM, but that’s the only one I’ve heard. It certainly is a kissing cousin of my A2 Gumby.

Nov 9, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #102,593 of 148,506
I say LIM, but that’s the only one I’ve heard. It certainly is a kissing cousin of my A2 Gumby.
My instinct is to go for OG, but I am curious for the thoughts of others.

Nov 9, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #102,594 of 148,506
Which version? Being some what ancient I am, of course, inclined toward the Michael Rennie version.
But I do have both. :beerchug:

Definitely the Michael Rennie version. And while I like the actors in the remake, I haven't seen it. I probably never will. 🥴

A classic, one of my favorite older sci-fi movies along with the original War of the Worlds, and Day of the Triffids. Maybe Invasion of the Body Snatchers as well.😁😁

Some of my favorites too. Plus, I'd have to add Forbidden Planet, Them!, It Came From Outer Space, and The Thing From Another World. Great stuff. :grinning:

And if I'm in a contrary mood, MST3K: The Movie. It always makes me laugh. Poor This Island Earth...! 🤣

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 7:21 PM Post #102,595 of 148,506
"Manos, the Hands of Fate"

Nov 9, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #102,596 of 148,506
My instinct is to go for OG, but I am curious for the thoughts of others.
OG is the most natural sounding DAC I’ve ever heard. And yes, I’ve auditioned dCS.

Nov 9, 2022 at 7:54 PM Post #102,597 of 148,506
Not sure if this was already answered, but will you be able to upgrade chassis with future upgrades if you skip this one?

Edit: Nevermind, I re-read Jason’s chapter found answer.

So what happens if I skip this upgrade and stick with the old chassis? What upgrades can I get?
You’ll be able to do all DAC/analog upgrades. Any DSP card changes are fine, too. Digital input card changes will be limited to ones that work with the old chassis (no new connectors). So you still have a fully upgradable DAC. You just won’t be getting NOS mode or remote control, or anything that changes up the back panel.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #102,598 of 148,506
Another comment on Gumby. My A1 version felt a little laid back in my system (with speakers that were also a tad laid back). Then I got the right system match (for me) with Monitor Audio Silver RS8 speakers and then MA Studio speakers with the ribbon tweeter.

The open nature of the ribbon combined with the natural presentation from the Gumby makes for a good combo.

Nov 9, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #102,599 of 148,506
I remember when I was about 7 years old I watched Invaders from Mars. This is the one where the Martians suck people underground and then put a control something in the back of their neck. I don't think I slept well for weeks after watching that.

Nov 9, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #102,600 of 148,506
Definitely the Michael Rennie version. And while I like the actors in the remake, I haven't seen it. I probably never will. 🥴

Some off my favorites too. Plus, I'd have to add Forbidden Planet, Them!, It Came From Outer Space, and The Thing From Another World. Great stuff. :grinning:

And if I'm in a contrary mood, MST3K: The Movie. It always makes me laugh. Poor This Island Earth...! 🤣
"Island of Terror" 1966. Peter Cushing has one of the "silicates", they are kinda sorta like lampreys that suck the bones out of ya, latch on to his arm and the most memorable line (memory slipping) is him yelling to another guy, "Cut it off!" and the guy with the ax says, "I cahn't!" (English accent!) and Cushing counters, "But you must!" and Kerchunk! the ax drops and Cushing isn't turned into a jellofied human mass of a mess.

Great stuff indeed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back