Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 8, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #102,436 of 148,603
@Jason Stoddard since you're announcing something new I've got a feature request. How about Freya with a subwoofer out and variable high and low pass filters?
High quality analog bass management can be difficult to achieve. I suspect such a product would be twice the height and twice the price of Freya. But I also suspect it would have a market.

Nov 8, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #102,437 of 148,603
Once upon a time...

Schiit Audio Cthulu
(Floor Wart) Linear Power Supply
Just a for sale site where picture was grabbed from ->
https://audiophilestyle.com/classif...-audio-cthulu-floor-wart-linear-power-supply/

1667866073506.jpeg

Also, Schiit Audio archives: https://alex77464.wixsite.com/schiitarchive/blog
Discontinued when they realized Lovecraft wasn't Norwegian...

Not so sure... flew PHX-SFO last night on a brand new 737-900 MAX. The ride was stellar, and the noise level at cruise rivals the 787. Takeoff acceleration is phenomenal with the CFM56-78 'fans - we were up and out in <5,000 ft. Pretty darned nice.
Is that an example of engineers' extra clever method of naming things by their capacity?

Nov 8, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #102,438 of 148,603
High quality analog bass management can be difficult to achieve. I suspect such a product would be twice the height and twice the price of Freya. But I also suspect it would have a market.
Agreed. I almost pulled the trigger on a Parasound Halo P6 which is currently $1600. Emotiva has most of what I'm looking for at $699. Would rather give my $ to Schiit.

Nov 8, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #102,439 of 148,603
That's most likely the cause of the bangs and pops.

If it puts a big spike on the AC when it switches voltage (or switches sharply, like a step function), that is very very bad for audio gear, especially power audio gear. And it looks like it does adjust in big steps, like 10% at a time. I'd never run anything like that on an audio system.

Do you even need it? If you do, I know there are stabilizers designed for audio, I just don't know any that aren't hyper-expensive.
What about a standard cheapo Amazon battery backup/surge filter?

eg:

https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-C...ery+backup,electronics,104&sr=1-2-spons&psc=1

I try to live with 3 of these, am I being too cheap?

$600 for extension cords seems like a lot of money.

Nov 8, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #102,440 of 148,603
Is that an example of engineers' extra clever method of naming things by their capacity?
Sometimes engineers name things because they are trying to be funny. My company created OEM products for some larger customers named the "BR-549" (the phone number for Junior Samples' used car lot from the old TV show Hee Haw) and the "LHT-500" (LHT stands for "low hanging testicles" and the 500 because the designer drives a restored 1964 Ford Galaxie 500.)

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #102,442 of 148,603
Nov 8, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #102,446 of 148,603
IMO, well-designed equipment should be OK with 10% high AC input voltage.

@golfbravobravo consistently running a bit high on the voltage may be indicative of a problem with the power line neutral conductor (most homes have both 120V / 240V single-phase service). have your local power company check the drop from the pole to where it connects to your meter socket. also consider having an electrician loosen then re-torque all connections inside the breaker box including the neutral bus. a poor neutral connection can cause noise spikes from motors / appliances on other circuits within your household to be coupled into your audio gear.

(added)
often the utility company's drop from the power pole to the house contains splices in the black "hot" conductors which are then purposely slacked to provide some spacing between the splices and the bare neutral wire. So the neutral wire winds up as the only conductor in mechanical tension and supporting the entire weight of the drop cable, and the strands can break slowly over time near the splices...

room lights getting brighter when an appliance is turned on / dimmer when an appliance is shut down might be indicative of a neutral problem.
Thanks for that. Sounds like it might be time to have Duke Power out and check things. The house is relatively new and was built by a "premium" builder, but worth checking. We are all underground within the development I live in, so we don't have some of those problems to manage.

Cheers

Nov 8, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #102,447 of 148,603
Too be more correct, the various countries/empires that conquered Great Britain through the centuries (Romans, Vikings, Saxons, Normans, etc.) "created" the original words which were "Anglicized"... or as I sometimes explain to English as an Additional Language students, "English is a Lego Language and the colours don't always match".
But that IS me.
I discovered during the course of investigating my heritage that my ancestors were coprolite miners.

I'm quite proud of the fact that my forbears dug up dinosaur schiit.

Nov 8, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #102,448 of 148,603
Find a used Oppo UDP.
PS Audio makes a player and dac but they’re not cheap. Maybe a used one.
I coooooouuuuld be tempted to part with my region free Oppo 203. Though it has come out of retirement to play TopGun Maverick this week - till I get a drive that can rip it to Plex.......

Nov 8, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #102,449 of 148,603
But that IS me.
I discovered during the course of investigating my heritage that my ancestors were coprolite miners.

I'm quite proud of the fact that my forbears dug up dinosaur schiit.
I had to look up coprolite. Well done going off-topic whilst staying on-topic at the same time.

I coooooouuuuld be tempted to part with my region free Oppo 203. Though it has come out of retirement to play TopGun Maverick this week - till I get a drive that can rip it to Plex.......
I'm on my second https://tinyurl.com/mrxrcuye which has ripped ~2000 CDs and ~1000 DVDs/BluRays. Works like a champ. The first one died from a head first dive from the desk to the tile floor. Suicide, maybe.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #102,450 of 148,603
I had to look up coprolite. Well done going off-topic whilst staying on-topic at the same time.

I'm on my second https://tinyurl.com/mrxrcuye which has ripped ~2000 CDs and ~1000 DVDs/BluRays. Works like a champ. The first one died from a head first dive from the desk to the tile floor. Suicide, maybe.
Why thank you, sir, for the previous compliment.
I just got and then flashed (no, not me officer, honestly) an Archgon UHD drive. I had a drive(s) that wouldn't rip 4kUHD. So now it's flashed - a bit of a palaver, but Attenborough's Planet EarthII is now done and TG Maverick is on the way :)

Life is good.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back