Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 3, 2022 at 8:05 PM Post #102,256 of 149,168
Ok Schiit friends. With $600 to spend for a Silver Schiit PreAmp which Preamp? Freya S or Lyr+.

My system now is Gungnir MB with Unison (A1), Schiit Sys to old B&K Amp with monitor audio studio speakers.

I really like the idea of Lyr+ with a single tube to roll. Or SS operation. (I already have a Tung Sol 6SN7 tube. ) the other part of me really wants to try Balanced. I know for a fact that I get a lot of rf interference in the room from a local radio tower. I use well shielded rca cables. I'm wondering if any improvements could be had.

Freya+ really concerns me with long term tube costs. Quads of the tubes seem quite expensive. I guess a quad of tye Lisst tubes isn't so bad, but if that's the plan I'm back to freya s.

What do you all think? I have a tube integrated that I Love, but it struggles with the speakers that I love more.

Nov 3, 2022 at 8:05 PM Post #102,257 of 149,168
According to Jason they couldn't move them with bran.

To me that means not enough sales by a long shot.
Ok, that makes the logic of Folkvangr clearer. More of everything that makes the MJ2 a cult item, much higher price, limited edition. Smart marketing.

Nov 3, 2022 at 8:12 PM Post #102,258 of 149,168
Thanks for all the comments @dstrimbu , including your experiences with Auralic.
It is great to hear that they have looked after you so well.

With regard to AES/EBU cable, I believe you need 110 ohm impedance for digital connection (not 75 ohm).
They have been good to me, and the equipment is really well built. They've gotten a bit expensive, as you've seen...

Yes, sir - I think I knew that - 75 ohm for digital coax (RCA or BNC) and 110 ohm for AES/EBU (XLR).
Of course, thinking that I knew that and typing the wrong thing has some potential for issues... :smile_phones:

I bought inexpensive balanced 75 ohm XLR cables, with Neutrik connectors, but spent a bit more on the 110 ohm AES/EBU cable.
Same here, I use Mogami mic cables from the Benchmark LA4 to the Tyrs, and have used a Wireworld 110 ohm AES/EBU to connect the AURALiC to Yggy.

My loudspeaker manufacturer (ATC) says that basic balanced microphone cable, provided it is well made, is perfectly adequate for analogue and is what most recording studios use, so it's certainly good enough for me!
👍 agreed!

I use DH Labs' D-110 Silver Sonic cable for digital connection, after it was recommended by a forum member @the finisher
https://silversonic.com/products/digital-cables/d-110/
I am very pleased with it.

I also use a DH Labs BNC cable (D-750) to connect my streamer to Yggy
https://silversonic.com/products/digital-cables/d-750/

Good luck!
I will check it out! Thank you!

Nov 3, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #102,259 of 149,168
Freya+ really concerns me with long term tube costs. Quads of the tubes seem quite expensive. I guess a quad of tye Lisst tubes isn't so bad, but if that's the plan I'm back to freya s.
I love my Freya+ into dual Aegirs. You don’t need a matched quad but two pairs of matched pairs. I run with stock in two (power I believe) and a pair of Genelex (input I believe), which makes me very happy, and I have an pair of ok new production plus the stock pair. Unless you’re running a lot lot lot, you probably won’t run through a pair in a few years. Rolling is an occupational hazard, but also a choice. I highly support Freya+ and leaving it in SS mode when you neither need the extra gain nor the distortion. I think that Freya+ and a Gumby is a great upstream pair. I bet your power amp is fine for the time being as you suggest. With a chain like that, you should be happy for a while. My 2 cents.

Nov 3, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #102,260 of 149,168
Thanks go out to @bcowen for some turntable help. The man has some ways about him that are not quite right but every now and then the man actually does some good, sort of.🤪🤪

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #102,261 of 149,168
Pending the release of the next tranche of hobby funds (*) and the purchase of a ZMF, I'm almost entirely listening to the Folkvangr with some Senn HD-650s. Swapped in 2 NOS Tungsram E88CC's. The FV has really elevated the 650s. I'm listening to that combo much more than I'm listening to the various Stax Lambdas that were previously my normal go-tos.

* the ZMF fund was depleted/delayed by the purchase of the FV. I just felt in my bones that would be a "do it, or regret your decision forever" opportunity. The more I listen, the more I feel that was one of my best audio decisions ever.

Last night's WOW event: Agnes Obel - Citizen of Glass.

(Oddly, I was clued into Agnes Obel and that album by the guy who sold me my current Stax amp.)
I love my ZMF. Can't say ZMF is my fav in the FV. Senn and Grado outperform ZMF at this time. But it goes back and forth a little. Still, Grado >> ZMF in FV
Ok Schiit friends. With $600 to spend for a Silver Schiit PreAmp which Preamp? Freya S or Lyr+.

My system now is Gungnir MB with Unison (A1), Schiit Sys to old B&K Amp with monitor audio studio speakers.

I really like the idea of Lyr+ with a single tube to roll. Or SS operation. (I already have a Tung Sol 6SN7 tube. ) the other part of me really wants to try Balanced. I know for a fact that I get a lot of rf interference in the room from a local radio tower. I use well shielded rca cables. I'm wondering if any improvements could be had.

What do you all think? I have a tube integrated that I Love, but it struggles with the speakers that I love more.
I think the Freya S makes more sense than my Freya+, which I got b stock. Tubes are still not VERY expensive, and while the option is nice, feels a little unnecessary.

Lisst is pricey, especially given the lack of discount for Freya, Saga and Lyr owners. On the other hand, they are a reasonable value and a valued piece of gear.

Lisst sounds great in Lyr 3.

I don't think Lyr 2 or 3 was neutral enough that I would be happy with them as a preamplifier.

How about the Raggy? Solid state, preamp, xlr, whole 9 yards!

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #102,262 of 149,168
Thanks go out to @bcowen for some turntable help. The man has some ways about him that are not quite right but every now and then the man actually dies some good, sort of.🤪🤪
Some? I feel like I've been promoted. :laughing:

Nov 3, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #102,263 of 149,168
How about the Raggy? Solid state, preamp, xlr, whole 9 yards!—-

Trying to be in that $600 price (actually $700 with silver and shipping).

Plus my speakers really like the B&K amp. I’m only running 2 channels of the 5 channel amp. It’s 180 Watts into 4 ohm.

I’ve used a 100w Tube Amp. Plus a 90W (4ohm) Nait 5si. The B&K if by far the best.

Nov 3, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #102,264 of 149,168
Je regrette, it is largely true ... apart from some notable exceptions, like the Citroen SM or the Sud-Aviation Caravelle, it is on the whole a catastrophe ... I have owned only 3 French made cars and ... I think, I'll leave it there ! :laughing:

Nov 3, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #102,265 of 149,168
I've had a couple in my time, my Renault Megane Coupe was fun to drive, my Ex's Scenic, less so. But I just got back from 2 weeks in the UK and the Peugeot 208 we hired was fabulous. I'd buy one if they ever came to the US.
Peugeot 206 had the best car commercial ever

Nov 3, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #102,266 of 149,168
Any of you classical guys that can tell me what is playing in this video? I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks for sharing this video.

I was amused by the irony that this dramatic music, being played on an impressive sound system, was presented to me via my smartphone speaker.

Nov 3, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #102,267 of 149,168
Je regrette, it is largely true ... apart from some notable exceptions, like the Citroen SM or the Sud-Aviation Caravelle, it is on the whole a catastrophe ... I have owned only 3 French made cars and ... I think, I'll leave it there ! :laughing:
Funny you should mention Citroën. The Oli is perhaps the most interesting incarnation of an EV I've seen in years. I'd love to see them pull it off, and to be able to acquire one in the US. French and all!

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #102,269 of 149,168
Listening to Tom Waits Blue Valentine on vinyl. A Lokius is involved as I decide between tubes in the phono preamp stage. A 12AU7 and a couple 6SL7's are involved, I am closing in on the sound I want.

After a couple tube changes and the cartridge settling in, I am very happy. When tubes and vinyl are right, they are so right. YMMV. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back