Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 25, 2022 at 10:42 PM Post #101,836 of 145,768
What I understood from DarkAudio is that Roon was just being 'lazy' and didn't want to 'update/programm' their software in the cloud and on the local ... or wanted to launch it before high season and fix it later :)
Combining local and cloud computing in a reliable, seamless way is hard, even for the biggest, most resourced companies (speaking from multi-decade experience in the industry). I'd never call "lazy" to anyone who avoids that horrible complexity.

Oct 25, 2022 at 10:48 PM Post #101,837 of 145,768
Sure, but Google doesn't require you to have a server running on your network in order to search your local content.
Google has not offered any way to search local content for the last decade or longer...

Oct 25, 2022 at 10:52 PM Post #101,838 of 145,768
Are you guys in the Bay Area OK? This was quite the jolt even 100 miles east where I am.
I was at work in Mountain View, it was long-ish but not that concerning. My wife was at home in Palo Alto and she missed it.

Oct 25, 2022 at 10:53 PM Post #101,839 of 145,768
If not my favorite song, definitely my favorite group from the late '60s and one of my fondest memories:
v=v_gg6JNLtXI

I also really like Rachael Price:

Rachael exhibits such joy and talent in her songs. It is about music to me, and it’s faithful reproduction. Very little else.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #101,840 of 145,768
as @Roy G. Biv said, 5.1 per USGS, south of San Jose.

@ArmchairPhilosopher you are now officially a Californian.

Loma Prieta 1989 (mag 6.9) was much bigger. had never seen a lawn move like slow rolling waves on the ocean before (and hopefully not again)
10^(6.9-5.1) ~ 63 x the displacement. Log scales are deceptive :grimacing:

Oct 25, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #101,841 of 145,768
Oct 26, 2022 at 1:15 AM Post #101,842 of 145,768
Things I learned today.

Yggdrasil and Ragnarok 2 don't stack on top of each other perfectly/symmetrically. Rag 2 is just a tad deeper.

Schiit double boxes Yggy, which helps prevent damage to the inner box and Yggy itself when that outer box gets abused en route.

Yggy is very heavy.

Yggy sounds great, even when cold.

Things I reaffirmed today.

@FLTWS takes great care of his audio equipment.

FLTWS is generous (thanks for the extra cables)

It's fun to get new audio gear. Especially new Schiit.

Life is unpredictable, especially with kids in the house.

I was fortunate to receive a Yggy from FLTWS, whom I am happy to consider a friend. In his honor I will be breaking Yggy in with some classical music.

Looking forward to the new presentation of Yggy OG A2 Gen 5 and Ragnarok 2.

So many albums & songs await to hear again for the first time.

Impressions and comparisons to Bifrost 2 and Gumby A2 to follow.

Happy listening folks.

Oct 26, 2022 at 2:03 AM Post #101,843 of 145,768
Holy Schiit is Yggy, Rag2 and HE6se (v1) a match made in heaven. Damn for detail, decay, pulling stuff out of the background, vocal inflection & wavering......

I've got a pretty serious Wild Turkey mod going, so it could be that, but I don't think thats all of it.....

Was talking to a friend and I said its like a magic box as yggy seems to be magically presenting detail and sounds ive not heard before....

Going to have to do a Gumby A2 vs Yggy A2 comparison this weekend.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2022 at 4:26 AM Post #101,844 of 145,768
Something very much off-topic—even for this thread—but I thought you guys might appreciate this since some of you occasionally use PayPal for international transactions as well:

I'm sending someone in Europe 375.00 EUR via PayPal.
Select "convert via PayPal": 403.00 USD
Select "convert via your bank": 387.20 USD

They—of course—default to "convert via PayPal," and they—of course—will not show you the amount for "convert via your bank." The amount stated above is thus taken from my bank statement and reflects what I actually payed.
Granted, PayPal can't show you the bank conversion amount upfront because they don't know the bank's rate at any given moment.
But even if they could, I very much doubt that they would — for obvious reasons.

And that's in addition to the relatively generous fee they already slap on your transaction to begin with.

Long story short:
While I don't know if this applies to all foreign currencies and/or to the country you may reside in, at least in the USofA, when sending Euros, I would advise to make sure you let your bank do the conversion. Can't really blame them for trying, but there's no need to "gift" PayPal any more cash than necessary.
There are many horror stories on Reddit about PayPal.

If half of them are true, holy schiit!

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #101,845 of 145,768
Oct 26, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #101,846 of 145,768
Combining local and cloud computing in a reliable, seamless way is hard, even for the biggest, most resourced companies (speaking from multi-decade experience in the industry). I'd never call "lazy" to anyone who avoids that horrible complexity.
I think that is one of the problems, 'things' are made complex. As I call it: taking off with your plane without the doors in it. Many projects in my company were done like that and always with the same result: hard to do, limiting and the one responsible gone before the plane reaches his required altitude.

Oct 26, 2022 at 9:08 AM Post #101,847 of 145,768
I think that is one of the problems, 'things' are made complex. As I call it: taking off with your plane without the doors in it. Many projects in my company were done like that and always with the same result: hard to do, limiting and the one responsible gone before the plane reaches his required altitude.
Someone gets it!

The non-negotiable Prime Directive for everything I agree to work on:
Keep it simple, stupid.

One, because it always, without exception, makes for a sexier product and a better user experience.
And two, because I’m „lazy.“ Complexity always creates additional annoyances for me down the the road as the product inevitably grows and ages. I’d rather work on something interesting than to waste my life (and frankly, my talent) away trying to maintain a house of cards and to keep artificially created code rot at bay.

Most customers don’t get it, though. The bane of my existence.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #101,848 of 145,768
Someone gets it!

The non-negotiable Prime Directive for everything I agree to work on:
Keep it simple, stupid.

One, because it always, without exception, makes for a sexier product and a better user experience.
And two, because I’m „lazy.“ Complexity always creates additional annoyances for me down the the road as the product inevitably grows and ages. I’d rather work on something interesting than to waste my life (and frankly, my talent) away trying to maintain a house of cards and to keep artificially created code rot at bay.

Most customers don’t get it, though. The bane of my existence.
Hang in there, everything comes in waves :wink:

Oct 26, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #101,849 of 145,768
I found Wise after National Westminster decided to close my account - of over 40 years standing - and 'confiscate' the balance as I hadn't used it for a while. They would not reinstate and told me I no longer qualified for a UK account!!

Bastards.
Excuse me, but how in the hell can they do that? Some sort of predatory lender clause written into their banking regs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back