Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 24, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #101,761 of 145,577
Oct 24, 2022 at 11:10 PM Post #101,762 of 145,577
Oct 24, 2022 at 11:17 PM Post #101,763 of 145,577
IMG_4368.jpeg

Isn’t it funny that there’s this thing curled up next to me on my desk that has its own personality and wishes and fears and humor and moods and dreams and tastes and all that? It’s like an entire universe, but concentrated into a tiny snoring ball of fur.
Never seen a “tiny” Siberian in my life...

Oct 24, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #101,764 of 145,577
And, the weird part, is that the soundstage opens up. Given that the frequencies involved don't have much to do with that, why?
Well bass is omnidirectional so I would think it permeates the room more with running two subs and regardless it fans out.

Oct 24, 2022 at 11:48 PM Post #101,765 of 145,577
Thomes is "watching" our Bears vs. the Patriots... he's quite excited... :rolling_eyes:

I have to use the ugly cover as his hair goes everywhere.
Finnegan and I were watching that game lol. Belichick will pass Pappa Bear in total number of wins, but he will not do it against the Bears. :beerchug:

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022 at 12:46 AM Post #101,766 of 145,577
Disable ARC by setting the port to 0 on Settings>ARC. But Roon 2.0 will still depend on cloud services for search and other features.

On some thread I read that the number of Roon users who were disconnected for long periods < 2.0 was trivial compared with the number who asked for features that would be very hard to provide on the local Roon Core without cloud support. I should be more sympathetic to low-connectivity folks, but my other place in a relatively remote rural area has its own fiber provider that is better and more reliable than Xfiniti in Silly Valley. It even stays up when main power goes down (no thanks to PG&E) and my whole-house generator kicks in... It's harsh, but a small company like Roon Labs needs to make choices on what to support. Knowing what I know about the benefits of recent AI advances in search and recommendations, I don't blame them.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022 at 12:49 AM Post #101,767 of 145,577
They don't even support a reasonable number of streaming services yet.
It's more like those services don't want to do business with Roon, as they dislike intermediaries for one reason or another.

Oct 25, 2022 at 1:28 AM Post #101,768 of 145,577
I should be more sympathetic to low-connectivity folks, but my other place in a relatively remote rural area has its own fiber provider that is better and more reliable than Xfiniti in Silly Valley. It even stays up when main power goes down (no thanks to PG&E) and my whole-house generator kicks in...
Anecdotal, but since I hooked up my cable modem and router to a UPS, my Xfinity based internet stays up and running as well when the power goes out.

Oct 25, 2022 at 5:04 AM Post #101,769 of 145,577
re: Roon 2.0 requiring an always-on Internet connection. I have read on the Roon forum that a lot of people don't like this. It is of course a requirement for their new ARC infrastructure to work, which is why they programmed it this way. The Roon designers are aware that not everyone cares about ARC (me being one of those) nor does everyone want to be connected to the Web all the time (and indeed, many can't be.) We should expect a revision to Roon 2.0 to be released in the next few months.

This sort of issue is more fuel for the Jason Stoddard-stated flame of "Schiit doesn't want to be in the software business."
What I understood from DarkAudio is that Roon was just being 'lazy' and didn't want to 'update/programm' their software in the cloud and on the local ... or wanted to launch it before high season and fix it later :)

Oct 25, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #101,770 of 145,577
The main issue is not ARC, but that they'd rather do search on the cloud. I understand why, current search tech is not a good fit to a small home server (ask me why if you care to, understanding this is part of may day job).
That is utterly silly ... so searching a haystack is 'easier' than the feeding bucket of a cow ... funny typo your day job or a may day job, probably the same isn't it :)

Oct 25, 2022 at 7:42 AM Post #101,772 of 145,577
Something very much off-topic—even for this thread—but I thought you guys might appreciate this since some of you occasionally use PayPal for international transactions as well:

I'm sending someone in Europe 375.00 EUR via PayPal.
Select "convert via PayPal": 403.00 USD
Select "convert via your bank": 387.20 USD

They—of course—default to "convert via PayPal," and they—of course—will not show you the amount for "convert via your bank." The amount stated above is thus taken from my bank statement and reflects what I actually payed.
Granted, PayPal can't show you the bank conversion amount upfront because they don't know the bank's rate at any given moment.
But even if they could, I very much doubt that they would — for obvious reasons.

And that's in addition to the relatively generous fee they already slap on your transaction to begin with.

Long story short:
While I don't know if this applies to all foreign currencies and/or to the country you may reside in, at least in the USofA, when sending Euros, I would advise to make sure you let your bank do the conversion. Can't really blame them for trying, but there's no need to "gift" PayPal any more cash than necessary.

Oct 25, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #101,773 of 145,577
Long story short:
While I don't know if this applies to all foreign currencies and/or to the country you may reside in, at least in the USofA, when sending Euros, I would advise to make sure you let your bank do the conversion. Can't really blame them for trying, but there's no need to "gift" PayPal any more cash than necessary.
Same thing applies to credit cards when you’re traveling internationally or making an international CC purchase. In most cases (but especially if you have low foreign currency fees, which you should on at least one card) you should mate transactions in the original currency vs letting them convert to usd for you. What seems like certainty is just a scam.

Oct 25, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #101,774 of 145,577
The soundtrack for the new Ron Carter documentary "Finding the Right Notes" is out on Qobuz, take a listen. I've not watched the documentary yet, but it's a must, Ron Carter has been at the heart of much of what happened in jazz since the early 60s. He was still going strong last time I heard him live in 2019.
Thank you. We recorded it on PBS but haven't yet watched. Maybe I will listen today on the HPs ...

Oct 25, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #101,775 of 145,577
Add the Bike Shed Problem, having that at work right now. Massive overall questions - sails right through. Minor items like water cooled versus air-cooled HVAC? 5 meetings and counting, even though construction axed the water pipes, backfilled the trench and going to water now is going backwards in construction but seagull managers don't care.

Edit: spelling.

This bike shed problem? https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p055vwcr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back