Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 24, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #101,746 of 145,686
It's hard to imagine living in a world without cats. They bring so much to the table and except for their freedom, ask very little - except to be fed of course. So glad I am in a position to let mine be indoor/outdoor cats since they get such a richer and more natural life that way.
+1 on the indoor/outdoor lifestyle as long as the outdoor part is reasonably safe. Just don't tell your vet.

Oct 24, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #101,747 of 145,686
My grandfather, Andy Petro, was a foreman in the rolling mill... agreed, the whole place scared the living Hell out of me. But my trips to the mill were foundational in my desire to pursue a career in Engineering, so - there ya go. >g<
I'm sure I've posted this before. Back when employees were still allowed to bring their families to work, my Dad also took us to job sites. Those trips were also instrumental in my studying engineering and getting into construction.

Agreed 100%. Overall clarity is amazing, the speed and drive of the low end is stunning. The opening of The Doobie Brothers "Black Water", or Danny Carey's drumming on Tool's "Vicarious"... both ends of the musical spectrum can raise goosebumps on a great recording. The B&Ws have met their match with Tyr, and I love the results.

The Tyrs deliver the best price/performance of any audio gear I have ever purchased (Yggy OG notwithstanding). A buddy who owns Wilson Sasha DAWs, driven by Bryston 7B Cubed monoblocks, came by for an informal listen and couldn't pick his jaw up off the floor. That felt REALLY good, especially since my entire system costs just a little bit more than half as much as his speakers alone.

Re-doing the kitchen soon; city code says that I need to upgrade the service panel. I see an opportunity to run a couple of dedicated 20A circuits to the audio system. Can't wait! :)
Long ago when I had the time to listen critically, dedicated audio circuits and grounding was the last big upgrade I made after getting my Threshold amps. I had no trouble hearing the difference in lowered noise floor, clarity and resolution (probably all related to lowered noise floor) by that change. While the improvement wasn't as big as adding those Threshold amps, once I'd upped my amp game I was glad to have cleaner electricity and better grounding. It even made the difference between cold amps and warm amps more audible.

Highly recommended. It's not even that hard to do in a single-story house as long as you don't mind climbing around in the attic. That long ago, I didn't.

I did read it word for word, and I believe that you are spot on w/r/t JA's careful dance. I love the fact that WE is back and they are building this amplifier, but I'll keep my pair of Tyrs, thanks. I am a firm believer that tubes belong in preamps and solid-state amplifiers should drive loudspeakers...

But that's just me. Plenty of OP here who feel differently, and that's what makes this such a great place to hang out.
It's good to know some things are still constant. Stereophile was doing the dance between positive reviews and raving reviews twenty-five years ago when I quit subscribing.

You mean besides @ArmchairPhilosopher, right? 😀
See below...

Where’s that dislike button when you need one…

I get to the point quickly.
It’s just a lot of points. 😬
Schiit, @ArmchairPhilosopher beat me to it.

It's hard to imagine living in a world without cats. They bring so much to the table and except for their freedom, ask very little - except to be fed of course. So glad I am in a position to let mine be indoor/outdoor cats since they get such a richer and more natural life that way.
Your cats must come over and visit our cats. Hopefully, their non-neediness will rub off...

Oct 24, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #101,748 of 145,686
I'm sure I've posted this before. Back when employees were still allowed to bring their families to work, my Dad also took us to job sites. Those trips were also instrumental in my studying engineering and getting into construction.

Long ago when I had the time to listen critically, dedicated audio circuits and grounding was the last big upgrade I made after getting my Threshold amps. I had no trouble hearing the difference in lowered noise floor, clarity and resolution (probably all related to lowered noise floor) by that change. While the improvement wasn't as big as adding those Threshold amps, once I'd upped my amp game I was glad to have cleaner electricity and better grounding. It even made the difference between cold amps and warm amps more audible.

Highly recommended. It's not even that hard to do in a single-story house as long as you don't mind climbing around in the attic. That long ago, I didn't.

It's good to know some things are still constant. Stereophile was doing the dance between positive reviews and raving reviews twenty-five years ago when I quit subscribing.

See below...

Schiit, @ArmchairPhilosopher beat me to it.

Your cats must come over and visit our cats. Hopefully, their non-neediness will rub off...
I didn't say they didn't want attention, which quite frankly is why I own cats. I love giving them attention, even when it isn't the kind they want. Come on, except for a wife (maybe) there isn't anything better than snuggling with your cat. And because mine come and go out the cat door whenever they wish they are one hell of a lot less needy than ones that are locked inside all the time.

At the same time, I have a hole in the fence on either side of the house and a carpeted pole to the roof next to the front porch to give my cats every chance to escape from dogs and coyotes. Although I did have to deal with an irate woman whose little dog charged my cat and then she got mauled by my cat when she picked the dog up to protect it when my cat charged back. It's good to own bad ass cats if you are going to let them outside. Or maybe they become bad ass because they are outside. I so love the little monsters!

Oct 24, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #101,749 of 145,686
20211124_213423.jpg

Oct 24, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #101,750 of 145,686
Thomas is "watching" our Bears vs. the Patriots... he's quite excited... :rolling_eyes:

I have to use the ugly cover as his hair goes everywhere.
20221024_174122.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #101,751 of 145,686
I like cats as they are but even more so when their behaviour is inclined toward that of dogs. Out of the several we have owned over the years we have had two that were "doggish". Both males and both solid black Persians. My spousal unit has forbid any more pets.

I hope to get around that by telling her they are friends. :ksc75smile:

Oct 24, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #101,753 of 145,686
OK now a question ... Qobuz has those original Bill Evans Trio recordings from 1961 ... "Waltz for Debbie" and "Sunday at the Village Vanguard." They also have "The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings" which I think contains both of the two previous albums and is purportedly re-mastered from the original tapes. Any experience with which have the better SQ? Thank you.
Can't really comment other than I've Qobuz and have listened to the Waltz for Debbie and Sunday at the Village Vanguard. I'm new to the jazz world, but both albums have become my favorites. I've not listened to the complete village Vangaurd recordings. Regardless, if it makes you tap your foot and make you smile, then it's great. Give them all listen, and hopefully be moved by the music....

Leo

Oct 24, 2022 at 10:51 PM Post #101,754 of 145,686
My buddy Jim lived nearby to Grace and Skip in Mill Valley, back in the early 90's, just after she "retired". I was lucky enough to have dinner with them one evening. She was (and likely still is) a much-larger than life character who was absolutely hilarious and a most gracious host. Thanks for reminding me of her!
Two quotes from her Wikipedia page, respect:
You can do jazz, classical, blues, opera, country until you're 150, but rap and rock and roll are really a way for young people to get that anger out

It's silly to perform a song that has no relevance to the present or expresses feelings you no longer have.

Oct 24, 2022 at 10:53 PM Post #101,755 of 145,686
Oct 24, 2022 at 10:55 PM Post #101,756 of 145,686
I believe when subs are set up correctly you barely know they are there, they are doing their job and blend well with your current speakers.
And, the weird part, is that the soundstage opens up. Given that the frequencies involved don't have much to do with that, why?

Oct 24, 2022 at 10:59 PM Post #101,757 of 145,686
Can't really comment other than I've Qobuz and have listened to the Waltz for Debbie and Sunday at the Village Vanguard. I'm new to the jazz world, but both albums have become my favorites. I've not listened to the complete village Vangaurd recordings. Regardless, if it makes you tap your foot and make you smile, then it's great. Give them all listen, and hopefully be moved by the music....
The soundtrack for the new Ron Carter documentary "Finding the Right Notes" is out on Qobuz, take a listen. I've not watched the documentary yet, but it's a must, Ron Carter has been at the heart of much of what happened in jazz since the early 60s. He was still going strong last time I heard him live in 2019.

Oct 24, 2022 at 11:02 PM Post #101,758 of 145,686
I bet you absolutely loathe PowerPoint...
Add the Bike Shed Problem, having that at work right now. Massive overall questions - sails right through. Minor items like water cooled versus air-cooled HVAC? 5 meetings and counting, even though construction axed the water pipes, backfilled the trench and going to water now is going backwards in construction but seagull managers don't care.

Edit: spelling.

Oct 24, 2022 at 11:02 PM Post #101,759 of 145,686
re: Roon 2.0 requiring an always-on Internet connection. I have read on the Roon forum that a lot of people don't like this. It is of course a requirement for their new ARC infrastructure to work, which is why they programmed it this way. The Roon designers are aware that not everyone cares about ARC (me being one of those) nor does everyone want to be connected to the Web all the time (and indeed, many can't be.) We should expect a revision to Roon 2.0 to be released in the next few months.

This sort of issue is more fuel for the Jason Stoddard-stated flame of "Schiit doesn't want to be in the software business."
The main issue is not ARC, but that they'd rather do search on the cloud. I understand why, current search tech is not a good fit to a small home server (ask me why if you care to, understanding this is part of may day job).

Oct 24, 2022 at 11:04 PM Post #101,760 of 145,686
... had something to do with new features that require "cloud computing" to be fully functional. Roon expects to gain more users by adding new features than they expect to lose by requiring a constant internet connection.
Well, iTunes went through such an evolution and became completely useless and, hence, dead to me. I don't know what they are thinking.
They don't even support a reasonable number of streaming services yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back