Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 15, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #101,236 of 148,534
And sometimes, you have to dare to publicly get things wrong to invite someone smarter than yourself to step in and offer a correction. Hence my sincere thanks to you for doing just that.
The really smart ones about this stuff work at Schiit and a few other places, the rest of us are just trying to follow along :wink: My suspicion from what I read/heard the Schiit-brains say is that they are avoiding the complexity of delta-sigma DAC chips by doing much of the preprocessing with standard DSP parts, and then going into a relatively simple, possibly discrete, circuit. Now speaking completely out of my lane, maybe something along the lines of the PWM-AFIR designs I linked to a while ago, or something radically different?

Oct 16, 2022 at 3:07 AM Post #101,237 of 148,534
The really smart ones about this stuff work at Schiit and a few other places, the rest of us are just trying to follow along :wink: My suspicion from what I read/heard the Schiit-brains say is that they are avoiding the complexity of delta-sigma DAC chips by doing much of the preprocessing with standard DSP parts, and then going into a relatively simple, possibly discrete, circuit. Now speaking completely out of my lane, maybe something along the lines of the PWM-AFIR designs I linked to a while ago, or something radically different?
🤷🏼 But it sounded nice. Conditions were what they were, and I’ve only heard the Salks there, but it was a positive experience for me…

Oct 16, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #101,238 of 148,534
And sometimes, you have to dare to publicly get things wrong to invite someone smarter than yourself to step in and offer a correction. Hence my sincere thanks to you for doing just that.
This is exactly the beauty of Head-Fi and of this thread in particular. Thanks to all for your continued knowledge streams :)

Oct 16, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #101,239 of 148,534
by doing much of the preprocessing with standard DSP parts, and then going into a relatively simple, possibly discrete, circuit
So I listened to the Singularity opening in the Schiitrmeet video, and looked again at the prototype board(s), and it does seem that they are going the way I suspected earlier: FPGA to do all the upsampling (with a purpose-designed burrito digital filter) and DS modulation/noise shaping not to one bit, but to a relatively narrow bit width that drives what might be a discrete converter. @ArmchairPhilosopher you were talking with Dave after the show, but I bet you are sworn to secrecy...

Oct 16, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #101,240 of 148,534
So I listened to the Singularity opening in the Schiitrmeet video, and looked again at the prototype board(s), and it does seem that they are going the way I suspected earlier: FPGA to do all the upsampling (with a purpose-designed burrito digital filter) and DS modulation/noise shaping not to one bit, but to a relatively narrow bit width that drives what might be a discrete converter. @ArmchairPhilosopher you were talking with Dave after the show, but I bet you are sworn to secrecy...
We weren't really chatting about Singularity. Just some random stuff, most of it not even remotely related to Schiit or even audio in general… 😅

Oct 16, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #101,241 of 148,534
Did Dave share the joke he would not repeat while live streaming? :wink:

Oct 17, 2022 at 8:09 AM Post #101,245 of 148,534
Another story from the trenches... my office rig is Roon -> Macbook Air -> Gungnir MB -> Mjolnir 2 -> HE5xx (all of which you'll have to pry out of my hands with a crowbar). But the surprise addition is a nobsound "50w" $30 amplifier to paradigm atom v5's in nearfield. If you crank it up the TPA3116 amplifier shows its flaws, but at the volume where I notice the amplification's flaws instead of the Gumby's merits, well, that's deafening to me (unless I'm listening to Schubert Lieder, but I tend not to listen to that very loud compared to, say, Black Sabbath). It's an absolute revelation to have cheap (as in, was sitting around so free to me) nearfield set up. Of course, ymmv, but expanding my headphone rig without breaking the bank is a real pleasure.

Oct 17, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #101,246 of 148,534
@Jason Stoddard Are the black powder-coated entry level gear all made out of steel as opposed to aluminum? Because I noticed that a magnet will stick to the top chassis of my black Vali 2+ and Modi 3E.
Nothing sticks to my Magni Heresy or Jotunheim R, so… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Must be some heckuva magnet you walk around your place there!

The black powder coated gear sure is a dust magnet, though! 🤣

Oct 17, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #101,247 of 148,534
Nothing sticks to my Magni Heresy or Jotunheim R, so… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Must be some heckuva magnet you walk around your place there!

The black powder coated gear sure is a dust magnet, though! 🤣

My Vali OG case cover is magnetic too. I use it to hold my Saga remote in place, since I tend to loose those...! 😧

Oct 17, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #101,248 of 148,534
Another story from the trenches... my office rig is Roon -> Macbook Air -> Gungnir MB -> Mjolnir 2 -> HE5xx (all of which you'll have to pry out of my hands with a crowbar). But the surprise addition is a nobsound "50w" $30 amplifier to paradigm atom v5's in nearfield. If you crank it up the TPA3116 amplifier shows its flaws, but at the volume where I notice the amplification's flaws instead of the Gumby's merits, well, that's deafening to me (unless I'm listening to Schubert Lieder, but I tend not to listen to that very loud compared to, say, Black Sabbath). It's an absolute revelation to have cheap (as in, was sitting around so free to me) nearfield set up. Of course, ymmv, but expanding my headphone rig without breaking the bank is a real pleasure.
I have a few small amps I can use with a near field setup and my version of Decware radials. I am working toward finding the space for an EL 34 amp with that system.

My big system is nearby in my home; I find myself using headphones less often. I do use a Bifrost 2 and a Gungnir for now hooked to different computers. If I do use headphones they are Focal Utopias that match up well with a tube amp I designed. 😉

There is some woodworking involved in my speakers and amp cases because I enjoy it.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #101,249 of 148,534
So I just found a new artist that is ****ing amazing and thought that I would share and see if anyone has anything along the same lines to share back. I am listening to Zoe Keating - Into the Trees. I'm smitten!!! Flying and Flocking is particularly special...

Oh, and listing to this kind of music, I love my Zu's driven by my Lyr 3 and Aegir more every day.
It's taken me a while to have the setting for it, but I'm finally listening to this album. It's wonderful. I also don't know what genre to call it. "Cello music" "chilled out rodrigo y gabriela"?

Anyway the setting is a grey/rainy autumn day without meetings and thus being able to tuck in and write my company's supplier requirements manual from scratch. It'll be my last WFH day for a while, so I'll be getting as much Folkvangr+HD580 mileage as I can today.

Oct 17, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #101,250 of 148,534
Female vocalists:
1665197367256.png
1665197173815.png
1665197129734.png
That Norah Jones album was engineered by Jay Newland and Husky Höskulds, and mastered by Ted Jensen... the result is just stunning IMHO.
Oh, yeah, and her voice, too... !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back