Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 10, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #100,981 of 149,115
If I could still hear anything above 15kHz, this would be a concern. Freed of this constraint I'm able to worry about other stuff instead, like whether Tiger maple truly sounds better than curly maple, or if it's just a figment of my imagination. 🤣 🤣
Dang you need to return your Incubus so I can remove the improvements to the high end. 😜😜 Or you might be as happy with some MP3’s, some Beats, and one of my old IPhones.🤪🤪

Oct 10, 2022 at 9:45 PM Post #100,982 of 149,115
Silver is CLEARLY superior in sound signature to black, so: No. 100% most definitely absolutely certainly and doubtlessly real, can’t possibly be imagined.
Whew. I was beginning to doubt myself there, and I always hate agreeing with everyone else. 🤣

Folkvangr is my first black Schiit. Maybe it still sounds good because it was silver before it was painted? Wonder how it would sound in Tiger maple....

Folkvangr Lit Up.jpg

Oct 10, 2022 at 9:51 PM Post #100,983 of 149,115
Whew. I was beginning to doubt myself there, and I always hate agreeing with everyone else. 🤣

Folkvangr is my first black Schiit. Maybe it still sounds good because it was silver before it was painted? Wonder how it would sound in Tiger maple....

Sorry Finnegan is getting bored with tiger stripes, unless they are his own, I am no longer allowed to work with it. How quickly can you get used to leopard wood. It sounds the same only different.🤪

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #100,984 of 149,115
Sorry Finnegan is getting bored with tiger stripes, unless they are his own, I am no longer allowed to work with it. How quickly can you get used to leopard wood. It sounds the same only different.🤪
Geeez...I'm still trying to A/B tiger and curly. And I was wanting lignum vitae next. Have any in stock? :smile:

Oct 10, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #100,985 of 149,115

I think Folkvangr still sounds good in black because it sounds so fantastic to begin with. Even a bit of powder coating can’t ruin that. Maybe. Don’t know, never listened to a black one…

And interesting thought about the tiger maple. It’s important to pick the right wood. After all, we all know: The kind of wood you get says everything you need to know about what kind of man you are.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #100,986 of 149,115
Here's a real-world representation of the sine wave:

1665358302720.png
I think the point of the Schiit Sine Wave is to help untangle the Gordian Knot...

In less than 200 years, the socio-political fictions called "colonies" recognized by the British crown were so deeply ingrained in the minds of the European conquerers of the Eastern side of this continent that they remained during the creation of the new country on this continent. :smirk_cat:

Imagine there's no countries,
It isn't hard to do,
Nothing to kill or die for...

~ John Lennon

Happy Birthday John.
The end point of that is the opposite of diversity...

Ok I will try once again lol, I asked Bill a specific question based on his gear.🤪
Everyone else may have master tapes stacked next to them.😁😁 Personally I try to keep live musicians in my family room but eventually they escape.😜😜
Besides, Branford Marsallis can't do "Kashmir" worth a darn...

Oct 10, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #100,987 of 149,115
Geeez...I'm still trying to A/B tiger and curly. And I was wanting lignum vitae next. Have any in stock? :smile:
Let me get out my tabula rasa and I will check for lignum vitae, I promise to get back to you by St. Swithin’s day.
Yikes it is past your bedtime, mind you I lose track of which day it is but it seems dark outside.😜😜

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #100,988 of 149,115
How about water oak? Happen to have a 60 foot tree that wasn't rotted on the inside, plus 2 more that are salvageable. Right now its 3 foot diameter logs and smaller, 12 feet long or so. Just a bit of sappy lumber. Just need a heck of a tractor to move the pieces.

Oct 10, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #100,989 of 149,115
I think Folkvangr still sounds good in black because it sounds so fantastic to begin with. Even a bit of powder coating can’t ruin that. Maybe. Don’t know, never listened to a black one…

And interesting thought about the tiger maple. It’s important to pick the right wood. After all, we all know: The kind of wood you get says everything you need to know about what kind of man you are.

LOL! In that case, I'm gonna stick with tiger instead of curly. 🤣

Oct 10, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #100,990 of 149,115
How about water oak? Happen to have a 60 foot tree that wasn't rotted on the inside, plus 2 more that are salvageable. Right now its 3 foot diameter logs and smaller, 12 feet long or so. Just a bit of sappy lumber. Just need a heck of a tractor to move the pieces.
Let me know when it is sawed, kiln dried, and two side sanded and we can talk.😀

Oct 10, 2022 at 10:48 PM Post #100,992 of 149,115
Oct 10, 2022 at 10:52 PM Post #100,993 of 149,115
I just got done putting together my dream two channel system and my computer playback of digital music and streaming may now be a weak link.
Oh dear... down another rabbit hole you go... I've not owned a vinyl setups in decades so what do I know, but I listened to many live performances in good venues before the pandemic, and I'm getting back into it. I can't hear anything from my current digital sources, with good-quality recordings, that sounds badly off relative to good venue performances by the same artists (of course live and studio performances have many differences for multiple reasons, I'm talking strictly about sound quality). But yes, some digital sources can be mediocre for different reasons. The best I've owned before my current over-the-top Roon>HQPlayer>Holo DAC and Roon>Linn Klimax setups used a relatively low-cost Pi2 Designs Pi-based Pi2AES streamer running Ropieee sending S/PDIF over AES3 to OG Yggdrasil.

Oct 10, 2022 at 11:08 PM Post #100,994 of 149,115
I asked the owner and he said something about current blah, blah. I am not buying his answer despite him being a LOVELY fellow. Please let me know if you have any thoughts.
Possibly an exceptionally good pairing where the speaker frequency-dependent impedance curve matches the amp's. The dealer may not be wrong, just imprecise: the amp's ability to maintain a given current level at different frequencies where the speaker is offering different impedance may be what makes that pairing work so well. The Sabrinas have quite an impedance variation across the frequency range https://www.stereophile.com/content/wilson-audio-specialties-sabrina-loudspeaker-measurements. Your Vandersteens are not hugely difference in frequency-impedance profile, BTW https://www.stereophile.com/content/vandersteen-2ce-signature-loudspeaker-measurements.

Oct 10, 2022 at 11:12 PM Post #100,995 of 149,115
Oh dear... down another rabbit hole you go... I've not owned a vinyl setups in decades so what do I know, but I listened to many live performances in good venues before the pandemic, and I'm getting back into it. I can't hear anything from my current digital sources, with good-quality recordings, that sounds badly off relative to good venue performances by the same artists (of course live and studio performances have many differences for multiple reasons, I'm talking strictly about sound quality). But yes, some digital sources can be mediocre for different reasons. The best I've owned before my current over-the-top Roon>HQPlayer>Holo DAC and Roon>Linn Klimax setups used a relatively low-cost Pi2 Designs Pi-based Pi2AES streamer running Ropieee sending S/PDIF over AES3 to OG Yggdrasil.
First I want to upgrade my DAC then I will work my way back. I planned that long before my current amp and speaker setup. The majority of my 65k album collection is digital so it is a no brainer for me to work on that segment. Friends are working on a DAC comparison since it has been a few years since our last. The term rabbit hole is always interesting. Does it mean cost, or time spent learning, or diminishing returns? 😃 No matter what I have the time now, money is rarely a factor, and I know how good vinyl and CD’s sound with my system and streaming and FLAC files are not impressive currently.😁

Vinyl I own no matter what. I wanted a good record cleaning system before I went back through some of my collection so I solved that. That with my CD’s and transport let me see how much my digital setup was lacking. I have no interest in Roon, a system for accessing my music was designed for me and it works well.😀

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back