Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 7, 2022 at 11:43 PM Post #100,756 of 148,556
Of course! You really need to add a pure surfactant to your water (distilled or RO preferably) at minimum. It reduces the surface tension of the water and helps hold the loosened dirt and grit in suspension. I use Triton X100, but Tergitol also has many recommendations (although I haven't used it myself). You can trust me on this. I know that requires a monumental leap of faith, but sometimes you just gotta throw caution to the wind. 🤣

https://www.amazon.com/CCS-Triton-X-100-Surfactant-120ml/dp/B075LYKXYF/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=31WS7G4CF2QQB&keywords=triton+x-100&qid=1665199286&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIyLjQwIiwicXNhIjoiMS44OSIsInFzcCI6IjEuNTMifQ==&sprefix=triton+,aps,106&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1
Looks safe... 😕 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::zipper_mouth:... as NC Barbecue...

Oct 7, 2022 at 11:48 PM Post #100,757 of 148,556
one of you mentioned that it wasn't a simple thing to get your own delta-sigma modulator working. What you may have forgotten is that we have Dave, Ivana, and other team members who have been working on this for a while.
It was me :blush: but I wasn't so much referring to the D-S modulator as to the downstream circuitry. I won't be able to make it to the meet, but I'm really looking forward to how your wizards will disrupt DAC-land, which has become either boring or stratospherically expensive for innovative designs.

Oct 7, 2022 at 11:52 PM Post #100,758 of 148,556
I miss NOTHING about vinyl LPs, and especially not the need to clean them. Gahhh.
No kidding. Just downloaded 5 new releases from Bandcamp, listening without hassle to great new music at this remote address where internet works beautifully but forget about physical deliveries. Listening to

Efht8L8.png

Oct 8, 2022 at 1:55 AM Post #100,762 of 148,556
Nothing wrong with that. As a former calligrapher (albeit a plebeian one!) a good pen is mighter than a cartridge and needle. Or...Nah. But writing can be an art and fountain pens have style in the right hand.

I write with fountain pens since my dad gave me one when I was about 12 or so.

Oct 8, 2022 at 2:58 AM Post #100,763 of 148,556
Emphasis on “today”. ’nuff said. Finnegan sounds like a cat I could raise a glass with. Snap (his mother is Ginger…) will usually come find a lap when Haydn’s Symphony No.55 ‘The Schoolmaster’ (one of my favourites) is playing. I think he prefers Hogwood.

Very cute cat you have there! Looks very similar to ours, here she is guarding our, er, I mean her shoes :smirk_cat::smile_cat:

624A24DB-0A80-49AF-9092-551BD0244F99.jpeg

When this picture was taken we had just spent what felt like an eternity looking for her, but finally one of my sons found her in the shoe shelf :smile:

Oct 8, 2022 at 9:10 AM Post #100,766 of 148,556
Far from harmless; Tom is 100% responsible for seducing me back into tubes, resulting, so far, in an Incubus, a Mjolnir 2 and now a homebrew 300B project
Only one person can be responsible for your lack of self control

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #100,767 of 148,556
Oct 8, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #100,768 of 148,556
hmmmm - wondering what others feel is best debut album? That would be very high on my list along with Chicago Transit Authority
1665174401391.png
How about...
100822amos.jpg

796f6dc314e10633b1ec0454fb490391.jpg

Top middle - Gollum on the Keyboards..."We loves the Precious, we does...YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS"...

And so the band "Yes" was named that fateful day many, many years ago.

Wakeman wasn't an original member of Yes, though IMNSHO his tenure was the apogee of the group. That pic of him is bad enough to go on a driver's license.
In science fiction, the "Singularity" has been called "Rapure of the Nerds." Formal announcement of the Schiitrmeet on Monday. Hope you can join us on Thursday for a listen.
In SciFi, isn't a singularity always a bad thing? Like, it was a singularity that ate the starship? Cool-soundng word, though.

Oct 8, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #100,769 of 148,556
I'm pretty sure he said it was Tom. :D

I just hope no one buys a record cleaner so they can buy records then a turntable, then a phono pre-amp unless it is a Mani. :ksc75smile:

By the way, I have yet to see a Schiit Sol on Ebay, I have not checked on used equipment being sold through Head-Fi but I sense folks are hanging onto them and using them.

Now in retirement I have time to work with vinyl and discard any albums that I do not deem playable. Part of this is an effort to clean up my shop and free up some cabinet space, the other part is rediscovering albums I bought as a young man. In no way shape or form am I suggesting anyone get into or back into vinyl. I rarely used music CD's for a long time and trust me, I had one of the earliest CD players made, with a quality transport I am getting back into those as well. I can stream, I have plenty of music files on multiple hard drives but I also happen to own other media. I started with vinyl and tubes and will most likely go out that way, it is my time to kick back and listen and enjoy what I have. When the Schiit transport arrives, many of you may just rediscover music CD's you have not listened to for a while. If not, do what makes you happy cause I sure am.:)

Oct 8, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #100,770 of 148,556
Of course! You really need to add a pure surfactant to your water (distilled or RO preferably) at minimum. It reduces the surface tension of the water and helps hold the loosened dirt and grit in suspension. I use Triton X100, but Tergitol also has many recommendations (although I haven't used it myself). You can trust me on this. I know that requires a monumental leap of faith, but sometimes you just gotta throw caution to the wind. 🤣

https://www.amazon.com/CCS-Triton-X-100-Surfactant-120ml/dp/B075LYKXYF/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=31WS7G4CF2QQB&keywords=triton+x-100&qid=1665199286&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIyLjQwIiwicXNhIjoiMS44OSIsInFzcCI6IjEuNTMifQ==&sprefix=triton+,aps,106&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1
I just knew I would learn a new word or two when I mentioned you might help. :ksc75smile: A surfactant it is.

Some of the records or so bad I finally went with a DJ cartridge and needle for initial testing lol. It is made by Ortofon and may save wear and tear on other styli.:ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back