Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 27, 2022 at 12:55 AM Post #100,261 of 148,644
"The more things you own, the more your things own you" paraphrase of Yann Martel
092622nomatter.jpg

-Buckaroo Banzai
(Tho he probably wasn't the first...)

Sep 27, 2022 at 1:50 AM Post #100,262 of 148,644
Ok I hope this listing shows. Scroll down the page.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255734306195?nma=true&si=4oKESV%2Bt5D7jAEg0dWGHlo41M7c%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I offered the seller of 1400 Jazz CD's several hundred dollars and was turned down. I won the auction at $12.80 with free shipping (tax brought it up to $13 something. Chances are I will never see the CD's but what if I do lol?

The seller has no feedback and chances are he will not ship anything. I am protected by using PayPal so it is not like I will get ripped off for $13 lol. Chances are they will shut down his or her sales if the CD's never ship.

Update, my money was refunded immediately by EBAY lol, I need to have a talk with those folks, maybe this was an obvious scam after all.
In years past I did a lot of eBay selling. So I have lot of experience, mostly out of date, with eBay. Could be a scam, but my guess is someone who has listed few things for sale. He got caught by not paying attention or accounting for the possibility it could sell for such a low price. Example, shipping on this auction was Free. Ebay loves it when sellers post a listing with free shipping--it increases the chance of selling. It competes with Amazon's Free Shipping.
Aside: companies that offer free shipping are taking on the shipping expense. The price of shipping has gone way up. Depending on what they are selling and how much it weighs, they probably pad the price of items to cover shipping. Or they could go broke. Amazon does it one better. If ACME Corp is selling a roadrunner catching rocket, their agreement with Amazon includes that they cannot sell it anywhere else for a lower price.
The seller of these CD's would have lost money on shipping, even with Media Mail rate. He cancelled the sale and to do so involves checking a box on a short list eBay offers to the seller to do that. Often there is not a choice that really fits the issue ("I have a contractual obligation to ship these CD's to the buyer, but it didn't sell for high enough and I would lose money on shipping. So I'm bailing." is not one of the choices.) (He could have added a "reserve" price which is a minimum bid to sell, but that has fees, and ... I never do it. So the seller picks one close vaguely close the real reason, or just at random.
He might get some sanction or time-out from, but probably not. That would need real people looking at things. Unless eBay has turned such choices over to AS (artificial stupidity).

Sep 27, 2022 at 6:32 AM Post #100,263 of 148,644
My experience with cases is exactly as you described. The replacement jewel cases aren't much better but at least they haven't been abused.

I've replaced 10s of cases because the manufacturer thought it was a good idea to attach an unremovable sticker ("SUPER SAVER!", "GREATEST HITS!!") to the front cover of the jewel case.
I buy a lot of second hand CDs online.

Usually the CDs themselves are perfect- I think I’ve only had one which was damaged and I got a refund.

If the jewel cases aren’t cracked I take them apart and clean them; the cracked ones I replace.

I don’t mind the original stickers- I even have some on ones which I bought new, years ago.

One CD which I bought last week for £3 (incl postage) still had the original price sticker of £15.99!

That CD came out in the 90s and is a reminder to me of just what a bargain used CDs represent at the moment.

I’ll keep buying while this happy situation continues…

Sep 27, 2022 at 6:57 AM Post #100,264 of 148,644
In years past I did a lot of eBay selling. So I have lot of experience, mostly out of date, with eBay. Could be a scam, but my guess is someone who has listed few things for sale. He got caught by not paying attention or accounting for the possibility it could sell for such a low price. Example, shipping on this auction was Free. Ebay loves it when sellers post a listing with free shipping--it increases the chance of selling. It competes with Amazon's Free Shipping.
Aside: companies that offer free shipping are taking on the shipping expense. The price of shipping has gone way up. Depending on what they are selling and how much it weighs, they probably pad the price of items to cover shipping. Or they could go broke. Amazon does it one better. If ACME Corp is selling a roadrunner catching rocket, their agreement with Amazon includes that they cannot sell it anywhere else for a lower price.
The seller of these CD's would have lost money on shipping, even with Media Mail rate. He cancelled the sale and to do so involves checking a box on a short list eBay offers to the seller to do that. Often there is not a choice that really fits the issue ("I have a contractual obligation to ship these CD's to the buyer, but it didn't sell for high enough and I would lose money on shipping. So I'm bailing." is not one of the choices.) (He could have added a "reserve" price which is a minimum bid to sell, but that has fees, and ... I never do it. So the seller picks one close vaguely close the real reason, or just at random.
He might get some sanction or time-out from, but probably not. That would need real people looking at things. Unless eBay has turned such choices over to AS (artificial stupidity).
I have been on EBay for 24 years. I spoke to the seller as well as to a manager there. He claimed to have sold the items outside of EBay, it was his first sale so I doubt he we sell again. I flat told him he should have used a reserve😁 I lost no money but it irked me a bit that someone who had used the site for over twenty years as a buyer did not know how to sell. Ebay lays it out pretty well lol. I have bought and sold on there, close to a thousand transactions with all positive feedback.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #100,269 of 148,644
By your logic, Mars would be a planet, a roman god, and a candy bar.
But it's not.
Mars is a planet.
The others are simply derivatives of that original. 🤪🤣
Well, actually, Ares was first and the Romans appropriated him and changed his name to Mars...

Yes, but I’ve heard Mars was called Debbie back then.
Actually, Sue. Johnny Cash wrote a song about it.

You mentioned in a previous post you were listening to the Shosti #5 the other day. That is one my favorites by him. That opening movement plays wide dynamic differences between the different passages building to the big fortissimo before running down and fading away. Very Mahler-like in some passages. And that 3rd movement is mysterious, a picture in music of fog on the moor. And the bombastic thrashing of the bass drum that closes the 4th movement is over the top.
I don't have much of Dmitri S.'s opus, but I like the Fifth. Not that this completely applies to the Shostakovich 5th, but nobody does bombast like the Russians. Sometimes it's just the ticket.

There was also a world premiere of a piece by Nico Muhle(?) called "Bright Idea". Bright it was, and light and fun. I hope it's recorded somewhere by somebody. I'd like to hear it again.

Sep 27, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #100,271 of 148,644
In my younger days, I was a staunch Brianist in the classic drunken debate "Life of Brian vs. Holy Grail". Grailists (Grailistas?) be damned.

Sep 27, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #100,273 of 148,644
Hello all it’s been a while since posting but I love reading this thread in my spare time to brng some enjoyment and new perspective. You all are a real hoot.

Anyway I’m looking for some advice on speakers to pair with my yggy(og or lim) and my single aegir/ Freya plus combo. I currently have the klipsch rp8000f tower speakers but one of the tweeters is blown and am thinking a set of bookshelf speakers would suit me better anyway.
I am worried about missing out on the ZU dirty weekend 6 speakers but have also read they are coming out with a whole new set of redesigned speakers next year I believe.
I’ve also heard good things about the wharfdale lintons 85th anniversary and am tempted but think waiting for something from zu and a little higher end would be worth it.
Any opinions on matching my system with the dirty weekend 6, or the upcoming zu lineup compared to the wharfdales or any other recommendations in this price range(about$3000 per pair or less)would be greatly appreciated .

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #100,274 of 148,644
Hello all it’s been a while since posting but I love reading this thread in my spare time to brng some enjoyment and new perspective. You all are a real hoot.

Anyway I’m looking for some advice on speakers to pair with my yggy(og or lim) and my single aegir/ Freya plus combo. I currently have the klipsch rp8000f tower speakers but one of the tweeters is blown and am thinking a set of bookshelf speakers would suit me better anyway.
I am worried about missing out on the ZU dirty weekend 6 speakers but have also read they are coming out with a whole new set of redesigned speakers next year I believe.
I’ve also heard good things about the wharfdale lintons 85th anniversary and am tempted but think waiting for something from zu and a little higher end would be worth it.
Any opinions on matching my system with the dirty weekend 6, or the upcoming zu lineup compared to the wharfdales or any other recommendations in this price range(about$3000 per pair or less)would be greatly appreciated .
Speakers are very subjective so I am hesitant to give you much advice. I will ask a few questions to get an idea of what you looking for.

1. Were you happy with the Klipsch or did you think that they lacked body?
2. How big a room?
3. What music do you generally listen to?
4. Why bookshelves? Could you tolerate floorstanding units under some circumstances?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back