Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 18, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #99,931 of 148,158
No pics, but here's a line drawing. Note inputs and outputs. You can switch USB sources to USB, or use it as a USB-SPDIF converter. Please don't call it a DDC, I hate the term. Someday I hope we'll blow that term up. We'll see.

I'm still to blame for all the industrial design. You should always include the opportunity for growth (and for better understanding what we can do with stamping, etc.). There are several fields I would never have been able to do anything credible with in pre-internet, pre-computer before-fore times. Design, marketing, advertising, branding, hell, direct sales--none of this would have ever been in my wheelhouse before. We live in incredible times. Take advantage of it!

That said, on the industrial design side...you ain't seen nothing yet. A number of upcoming prototypes have produced remarks like "I'd buy it just for the looks," and "looks like a product that's 2x more expensive than the previous one." We're gonna be pushing what we can do with metal fab in the USA in the very near term.

Fortunately your corporate shoulders appear broad enough to bear this choice. It is a choice and there is no blame required. Your designs are notable for their industrial, yet attractive similitude which makes for continuity in production. That has its advantages. I am curiouser and curiouser as to what lies ahead with these upcoming, albeit "industrial", prototypes. Be that as it may I do not see you accuiring an ORT's Eye VU as regards audio stuff.

No reply is needed. Your judgement either alone or with Mike has made your company prosperous. If I find what you make attractive, it is because you have made it so.

Sep 18, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #99,932 of 148,158
@ArmchairPhilosopher - Don't forget you also get an internal next gen EITER allowing USB input to output to SPDIF Coax or AES digital outputs.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #99,933 of 148,158
I listened to it today and it sounded very nice. Interestingly, the setup used USB out from Urd to Yggdrasil OG via Folkvangr to HD 800S. BTW the CD tray looks and feels very sturdy and has a nice solid motion.

Ooh, I like those metal slide rails...! That looks much more substantial than the cheap, flimsy plastic trays that many players use.

Well done...!

Oh, no S/PDIF Toslink output. Getting rid of the crap (sounds-like-ass) connections, I assume...? 😀

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #99,936 of 148,158
Also by Gidon Kremer, this one more related to the original request (suggestions for Vivaldi's Four Seasons). Kremer plays the Vivaldi Seasons and the tango/jazz influenced version by Astor Piazzolla, alternating back and forth between them. The performance is excellent and the juxtaposition is effective. Gidon Kremer is a fan of Astor Piazzolla and has recorded several albums of his music.

0603497198160_600.jpg

Sep 18, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #99,939 of 148,158
A purchase of Urd for non-CD users would accomplish the following:
- looks good in your Schiit stack
- bragging rights among fellow self-proclaimed top-tier audiophiles for owning a piece of bling that comes with a four digit price tag but you'll never actually use
- the undying appreciation from Schiit's chief financial dude/dudette
- switching between two different USB sources via a fancy five-dollar remote control
Don’t forget
- doorstop
- paperweight
- lap desk with cool extendable cupholder

Sep 18, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #99,940 of 148,158
I still don't understand how one would connect an Urd.
The DAC's USB connection is already used up by the feed from the PC. Will the Urd have to connect to Coax?
Or would you use some kind of splitter on the DAC USB connection to accept both the PC feed AND the Urd connection into the USB port?

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2022 at 8:48 PM Post #99,941 of 148,158
A purchase of Urd for non-CD users would accomplish the following:
- looks good in your Schiit stack
- bragging rights among fellow self-proclaimed top-tier audiophiles for owning a piece of bling that comes with a four digit price tag but you'll never actually use
- the undying appreciation from Schiit's chief financial dude/dudette
- switching between two different USB sources via a fancy five-dollar remote control
Got it, thanks! I guess I wasn't misunderstanding anything after all.

...I just had no idea so many people were into CDs :confused:

Sep 18, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #99,942 of 148,158
I still don't understand how one would connect an Urd.
The DAC's USB connection is already used up by the feed from the PC. Will the Urd have to connect to Coax?
Or would you use some kind of splitter on the DAC USB connection to accept both the PC feed AND the Urd connection into the USB port?
Its also set up to be the pre-DAC, PC -> URD USB1 -> DAC or CD-> URD internal USB -> DAC and just swap between USB1, USB2, URD as output source.

Sep 18, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #99,943 of 148,158
just swap between USB1, USB2, URD as output source.
How many outputs does the Urd have? Seems like it has "cd input", usb 1, usb2 and then coax and usb output? And it just plays redbook (44/16), right?

Not that this was ever a possibility but a network input would have made this thing darn near perfect. I guess a tiny Pi Roon Endpoint could be put on one of the USBs?
Thinking this only because I've decided to take the advice of many here and re-test Roon for my setup. OMG! have things changed since I last tried it. Instead of needing crazy overpowered PCs and next-gen iPads it seems to run on reasonable hardware and output to just about everything I own. No, seriously, no iPad or computer I owned could run Roon and I had some server-class stuff.

It's resurrected some things I thought would have to be binned or ebay'd: Muzo Cobblestone, Sonos.
It talks to my OPPO 203 and my Linn Akurate DS. Seems to talk to everything, nowadays, as opposed to when I first tried it.

Sep 18, 2022 at 10:10 PM Post #99,944 of 148,158
How many outputs does the Urd have? Seems like it has "cd input", usb 1, usb2 and then coax and usb output? And it just plays redbook (44/16), right?

Not that this was ever a possibility but a network input would have made this thing darn near perfect. I guess a tiny Pi Roon Endpoint could be put on one of the USBs?
Thinking this only because I've decided to take the advice of many here and re-test Roon for my setup. OMG! have things changed since I last tried it. Instead of needing crazy overpowered PCs and next-gen iPads it seems to run on reasonable hardware and output to just about everything I own. No, seriously, no iPad or computer I owned could run Roon and I had some server-class stuff.

It's resurrected some things I thought would have to be binned or ebay'd: Muzo Cobblestone, Sonos.
It talks to my OPPO 203 and my Linn Akurate DS. Seems to talk to everything, nowadays, as opposed to when I first tried it.
From the photo Jason put up, looks like 2 USB in (plus the internal source) to go out either USB, Coax, or AES (all digital). Not going to speak redbook or other voodoo hoodoo CD witchcraft, but to me I see those with streamers choosing based on the DAC.

Example - I plan URD out USB, streamer out via AES using 2 of the inputs on the Yggdrasil. A Gungnir only offers USB, Coax, Optical, or BNC so a streamer could use USB and the URD could use Coax (please note I am trying to avoid the Swamp of Sadness that is digital transmission protocols for now) OR use the URD as a switcher and do USB into the URD, and swap sources going to the DAC to keep the DAC on USB (or whatever you prefer).

The rest of the near infinite choices of pairings is left as an exercise for the reader.

Sep 18, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #99,945 of 148,158

Users who are viewing this thread

Back