Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 16, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #99,781 of 145,672
Thank you for the explanation!

So my head-amp does have preamp output but I have a record player as well that I'll use with my stereo so I need the Freya S to accept the SE input from that. I would love something like a Freya S with hp out in the future, but it's footprint is too large to have on my desktop where my headphone setup is. And too far away from where my power amp and loud speakers are.

I'll go with the Blue Jean option since it's customizable and supports American business. Thanks again!
Pic of oor on the web shows se rca inputs as well.

Sep 16, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #99,782 of 145,672
I’m in the market for a pair of closed headphones and was wondering if someone in their 60’s needs to worry about cans that are perceived as bright. I think I hear pretty well even if my wife doesn’t agree so I’m only assuming I have normal age related hearing loss. So the broad question is how much an old fahrt should take into consideration brightness? Sure, try something and make up one’s own mind but I don’t have the luxury of traveling for listening sessions so relying on sifting through reviews is a big part of my decision making. I have been intrigued by the new closed Sundara but there’s little to go on so far.

I'm in exactly the same situation and watching replies, too. Have considered the Focal Celestee since a local shop can get them. I love my Clears, but open back means I overhear my wife's TV programs. King Crimson and Dr. Pimple Popper are a baaaaad match :laughing:

Sep 16, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #99,783 of 145,672
Hoping to get the group's opinions. What do you consider to be the reference recording of Vivaldi's Four Seasons? I "grew up" with the Telarc CD, how about you?
51SJvTtgrFL._SY580_.jpg

Sep 16, 2022 at 8:04 PM Post #99,784 of 145,672
I have the Telarc but these are my 2 favorites, the imaging and sound-stages are outstanding.
The Archive looks like a re-issue, I have the original release. Sometimes re-issues are an improvement, sometimes not.
2 recordings, different chamber groups, conductors, labels, recording venues, and different period instruments positioned a little differently. Interesting comparison in contrasts of tonal qualities and imaging/sound stage:

Archive 400-045 CD: Trevor Pinnock, recorded 1982, DDD (?)
1663372533047.png

Chesky CD78 CD
: Igor Kipnis, recorded 1992, DDD
1663372732912.png

Sep 16, 2022 at 8:12 PM Post #99,785 of 145,672
So I just found a new artist that is ****ing amazing and thought that I would share and see if anyone has anything along the same lines to share back. I am listening to Zoe Keating - Into the Trees. I'm smitten!!! Flying and Flocking is particularly special...

Oh, and listing to this kind of music, I love my Zu's driven by my Lyr 3 and Aegir more every day.
Holy Cow! That is wonderful stuff! I LOVE it. Cello music is very much my thing, and this... is perfect. Although getting the CD looks a bit challenging. (Ten minutes later: Both her CDs were challenging, but there are two less on the market right now. AHAHAHA, I have MINE! :D)

Thanks @JanMc

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #99,786 of 145,672
Thanks for the discoveries!

After a long day of pointless meetings, listening to people that love to hear themselves talk, I decided on this, over speakers, LOUD ......

King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard "Fishing for Fishies"
1663344577654.png
With a name like King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard", it's got to be good.

Sep 16, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #99,788 of 145,672
Pic of oor on the web shows se rca inputs as well.
For whatever reason I was trying to avoid using RCA. Gotta let the ole audiophile myths/habit of preferring XLR die. It'll be easier and save me some cash on adapters. Thanks again!

Sep 16, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #99,789 of 145,672
Last edited:
Sep 16, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #99,790 of 145,672
Do you generally listen to reviews about equipment you own, hope to own, or may not know?

I'll listen to 2 to 4 videos as a last step of due diligence when some piece of gear gets to the stage of being my "most likely next purchase."

Other than that, for random stuff, maybe an average of 2 video reviews a month.

I'm just not willing to spend the amount of time it takes to keep up with a lot of video reviews. Old-school written reviews are much faster to process, and much-much faster to re-visit, and so I prefer those.

As they say, YMMV.

My favorite videos reviewers are [redacted], [redacted], and [redacted].

I do appreciate the fact that all of the reviewers are putting their precious time & energy into doing these things, sharing their knowledge & opinions, and that collective effort is expanding the footprint & reach of the hobby. I'm always wary of criticizing people who make an effort to do things that I wouldn't do myself.

Sep 16, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #99,791 of 145,672
I'm in exactly the same situation and watching replies, too. Have considered the Focal Celestee since a local shop can get them. I love my Clears, but open back means I overhear my wife's TV programs. King Crimson and Dr. Pimple Popper are a baaaaad match :laughing:
Ditto, I was looking at the Celestee as well but am hoping to spend less. Of course I want the Utopia sight unseen but good heavens. 7k

Sep 16, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #99,792 of 145,672
Would that be the Harry Bosch design upgraded to current HiFi Standards? :)
lol only if I could borrow some of that gear again and not give it back. :ksc75smile: The gear I want is now locked in a van in my driveway after 28 hours of driving in a one week period. I got a lot of gear from @FLTWS and had a wonderful time meeting him, PrimaLuna, Sonus Faber et alia. The man is truly someone I respect in the audio world and he happened to purchase gear I fell in love with when I heard it in Cincinnati a couple years ago. My son was along for the heavy lifting but tomorrow Finnegan and I will attempt to unload the van. After a 10.5 hour drive from my son's place I just want a cold drink or three. I now raise a glass of Tarnished Truth High Rye to the aforementioned gentleman, (I gave him a bottle of a new bourbon they make in Virginia.)

Sep 16, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #99,793 of 145,672
LOL, and Amador. I love Amador. Great wine country, and much more approachable than, er, some California regions. I read an article about how visitors to Napa have dropped off dramatically, with a kinda confused/pensive tone...that also mentioned the average night in a hotel cost $948. Yeah, no idea why people are going elsewhere...Amador, Paso, Santa Ynez, hell, El Dorado, hellx2, Texas' Fredericksburg is now the #2 wine region in the USA in terms of visitors.

(If you venture out to Texas wine country, be aware it is still, er...developing. Avoid the places with the "best sangria slushies in town" and frequented by pink limousines. Ask about the estate wines. When they grin, you found a good place. Expect the grapes to be unfamiliar: Tannat, Tempranillo, Picpoul Blanc, Viognier...not the California Cab/Chard regime.)
Picpoul Blanc and Viognier! I love the lesser known/made French whites. Tannat is fantastic as well (although not white).

Sep 16, 2022 at 10:12 PM Post #99,794 of 145,672
Hoping to get the group's opinions. What do you consider to be the reference recording of Vivaldi's Four Seasons? I "grew up" with the Telarc CD, how about you?
Vivaldi: The Four Seasons

This by Nils-Erik Sparf and the Drottningholm Baroque Ensemble is my favorite by far (I've probably listened to a couple of dozen versions). Original instruments but without any of the screech or rigid inflexibility of most early instrument groups. Superb, bravura playing that elucidates the programmatic aspects perfectly. On BIS, with their usual superb sound.

Vivaldi: The Four Seasons

Fabio Biondi and Europa Galante (also original instruments) do a quick, dramatic rendition that is well balanced. Also with excellent sound, on Opus 111.

Vivaldi: The Four Seasons; Concertos for 3 & 4 violins

A somewhat guilty pleasure, this version is usually too slow, with a bit too much Italianate sweetness. But Accardo's playing and gorgeous tone - on a different Stradivarius violin for each concerto - are enchanting. I Solisti play on modern instruments. Very good Philips/Decca sound.

Vivaldi: The Four Seasons - Janine Jansen

An excellent chamber sized rendition on modern instruments. Very good sound.

Edit: I earlier confused the above Europa Galante recording with the below. The former is quick and dramatic but it is this latter by Alessandrini and Concerto Italiano that is fast and highly dramatic. Excellent sound. Also on Opus 111, which may have contributed to the confusion.

The Four Seasons, Violin Concerto No. 1 in E Major, RV 269 Spring: I. Allegro

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2022 at 11:07 PM Post #99,795 of 145,672
Originally, Elon talked about how his vehicles used arrays of off-the-shelf li-ion batteries (perhaps 18650 or 21700's as used in portable power and landscape maintenance tools). I have a cordless blower c. 2015 that takes ~1hr to charge, but only lasts about 7 mins in turbo mode. clearly the newer (possibly application-specific) EV batteries have higher peak charge rates (as per the MME's higher discharge to charge rate ratio ~0.42) to permit regenerative braking. I located a 2018 research white paper discussing Lithium-Plating-Free (LPF) cells that were capable of faster charging in low ambient temperatures.

Still lots of electrical grid (generation, distribution, rethinking of parking structures, how to handle charging in high density neighborhoods with limited off-street parking e.g. NYC) upgrades needed to support increasing use of EV's (with fast charging stations in my area running 50kW and ultra-fast ~10min. types needing perhaps 350kW~400kW per charging station. replacement EV batteries are not inexpensive, plus increased demand may make key components (lithium, cobalt) more expensive.
18650 and 2170 are form factors. 18mm x 65mm and 21mm x 70mm respectively. Actual battery chemistries used in the batteries can vary widely and are tailored to the target use. Modern EV batteries are highly specialized. There are also non-cylindrical form factors used in EVs.

4680 (46mm x 80mm) is the latest form being pioneered by Tesla.

One can find more information than one will know what to do with at The Limiting Factor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back