Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 13, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #99,541 of 145,674
The two that say "IN", plug your amps/preamps there. The one that says "OUT", plug your source there.
Not sure I like that. Far too simple. Surely there’s a Rube Goldberg-level nest of wires, cables, and additional boxes required…?

Thanks for the answer!

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #99,543 of 145,674
And turn the volume pot fully clockwise.
Noted, and thanks (I’m still too new here to be allowed to “like” posts yet).

Sep 13, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #99,545 of 145,674
Yes! Any advice on matched 6sn7 pairs at a reasonable price would be great. I'll be starting off with a pair of PSVane 300B's, but will be upgrading once amp is dialed in.
I will try to look at what @FLTWS has available tomorrow and then perhaps he can help. He tended to buy some top quality tubes from good suppliers.

Sep 13, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #99,547 of 145,674
Since I'm obviously much less intelligent than you,....... can you explain your comment?
Your considerations go far above my limited brain powers.
I believe the commentary was in jest, your work is obviously quite valuable 🙏.

Sep 13, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #99,548 of 145,674
Welcome to the world of audio nervosa.
With time, it'll get easier.
………
Ugh, who am I kidding. No, it won't. 😅

In all seriousness:
My advice would be to just try stuff out. Ask around if someone would be willing to lend you their gear. Go to gear meetups. Visit the Schiitr. Buy Schiit, audition it, and return it if need be. Although that last one is dangerous, you might end up keeping everything because it all sounds good, each piece in its own way.

With time, you'll get a feel for what works for you and what doesn't.

And then the process starts all over again every odd month, i.e. every time Jason or Mike changes the product lineup significantly. 🤣
So your saying a trip to cali it is!

Lol is there any good references for meetups by geographical area? Like i may have said im in NY in the Hudson Valley (1.5HR North of NYC) so any NYC meets are feasable but something more local would be great.

I'm going to (try) and be happy with my choice because now i can chuck out my SB G6 im using at work. Ok in all honesty they are not that bad epically since i could use them on the go in theory with a use battery pack and the right cabling.

I would love to listen to some tubes though but i'm kinda afraid i would like them too much. The tubes don't have to be schiit, i just know i happen to like that sound (or i am too bias/naïve)

Sep 13, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #99,549 of 145,674
try the Jotunheim 2 first, at least for a week, before changing yet another (expensive) component. Jot2 impressions threads indicate some differences between SE and balanced outs. If it's similar to other Schiit amps, gain setting will have some audible impact too. Alternatively, for an even warmer sound, you can search out a used Asgard 2 (rated for 1W into 32 and 50 ohm loads, ample power for HE400i., as well as >100mW for the high impedance dynamics which are ~10dB more efficient)

what interconnects are you using? most silver cabling (except the very high purity / high $$$$ ones) can be bright sounding. you could consider some warmer (and relatively inexpensive) interconnects using Mogami 2549 or some Belden cabling with Neutrik XLR's.

what about your listening level and genre preferences?
Interesting you say that because the headphone cables for my HD650 are blue dragon cables. For everything else they are audioquest cables, Yukon's on the XLR i believe and carbon on the USB. For my HE400I i have Periapt cables. I have always prefered my HD650 but yesterday i was A/B the joker sound track and that was the first time I was really like holy crap thats that plainars should sound like and preferred it over the 650. Specifically the bathroom dance via tital hifi. Im debating trying out a "higher end" planar such as the Sundaras or the EDITION XS.

I (think) I prefer the "warmer", more tight bass "funner" sound. I tend to listen mostly though tital hifi, or my collection of cds i meticulously ripped in level 8 (or what ever its called) flac with highest error correction on dbpower. It was legit like 2hr a cd if i remember right but it was the beginning of 2020 i had time to burn:) I use foobar for my cd.

I'm would not call my self fancy in the music department im a fan of most type of rock music: stones, who, doors, beatles, nirvana, korn, seether, RHCP, radiohead, metallica just rattle a few stuff off. Out of that short list only a few have "good" masters.

I may get into rolling my own cables, never done that before but I'm a techie so I should learn how to do it.

Sep 13, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #99,550 of 145,674
For the Jot and Jot 2 topology wise is one gain setting "better" then the other assuming equal volume. I had someone tell me to go by impedance matching low with low and high with hi. However with the jot 2 im wondering if given the A/AB bias circuitry magic there may be a different way of looking at things.

Sep 13, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #99,551 of 145,674
Racing towards post 100.000 !!

post.jpg

Sep 13, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #99,552 of 145,674
Interesting you say that because the headphone cables for my HD650 are blue dragon cables. For everything else they are audioquest cables, Yukon's on the XLR i believe and carbon on the USB. For my HE400I i have Periapt cables. I have always prefered my HD650 but yesterday i was A/B the joker sound track and that was the first time I was really like holy crap thats that plainars should sound like and preferred it over the 650. Specifically the bathroom dance via tital hifi. Im debating trying out a "higher end" planar such as the Sundaras or the EDITION XS.

I (think) I prefer the "warmer", more tight bass "funner" sound. I tend to listen mostly though tital hifi, or my collection of cds i meticulously ripped in level 8 (or what ever its called) flac with highest error correction on dbpower. It was legit like 2hr a cd if i remember right but it was the beginning of 2020 i had time to burn:) I use foobar for my cd.

I'm would not call my self fancy in the music department im a fan of most type of rock music: stones, who, doors, beatles, nirvana, korn, seether, RHCP, radiohead, metallica just rattle a few stuff off. Out of that short list only a few have "good" masters.

I may get into rolling my own cables, never done that before but I'm a techie so I should learn how to do it.
It can be fun learning to braid four wire headphone cables. I usually set them up with pigtails so I can quickly switch from balanced to TRS for 1/4 inch or 3.5 mm. I agree about using Mogami or Belden cable for interconnects and XLR. You can even build USB cables of various types.

Sep 13, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #99,553 of 145,674
...I have always prefered my HD650 but yesterday i was A/B the joker sound track and that was the first time I was really like holy crap thats that plainars should sound like and preferred it over the 650. Specifically the bathroom dance via tital hifi. Im debating trying out a "higher end" planar such as the Sundaras or the EDITION XS.

First off...lemme say you had me at 'Stones, Who, Doors' :beerchug:

But gotta admit I did a double-take on.......'yesterday i was A/B the joker sound track'.......not something I ever expected to see! :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #99,554 of 145,674
First off...lemme say you had me 'Stones, Who, Doors' :beerchug:

But gotta admit I did a double-take on.......'yesterday i was A/B the joker sound track'.......not something I ever expected to see! :wink:
LMAO im trying to broaden my musical taste a bit lol. Someone (Z Reviews) recommended it, and I remember loving the soundtrack when I watched it in Dolby vision at the moves lol.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #99,555 of 145,674
It can be fun learning to braid four wire headphone cables. I usually set them up with pigtails so I can quickly switch from balanced to TRS for 1/4 inch or 3.5 mm. I agree about using Mogami or Belden cable for interconnects and XLR. You can even build USB cables of various types.
Yeah I def would start with power cables as they would probably be the easiest to start with. Any recommendation on Wire and connectors? I would probably would not want to go insane on my first few cables but also if they aren't better then what I already have then what's the point.

RN my interconnects are Audioquest Mackenzie XLR and I have no issues with them. I bought them second hand I believe on ebay. For power cables I have the audioquest NRG-Y on all equipment (including my pc that is admitlay not the best for audio given how much i have going on hardware wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back