Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 31, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #98,851 of 145,769
Is anyone aware of a CD player that utilizes 2+ meters of internal wiring between the output of the CD drive and the internal DAC to mitigate the potential jitter issue?
Asking for a friend.
Nope but I am relatively certain that there are more than enough anal-retentive frAudiophiles out there that re-wire their CD Players (and any thing else that bothers them) with laser-measured and properly guaged wires and hot glue itsy-bitsy-teensie-weensie shrinkydinked train trestles under said wires inside their players. And more. I bet they still jitter. The owners, not the players. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2022 at 7:29 PM Post #98,852 of 145,769
So, I was surprised to learn from a New York co-worker, that women from the North, would be offended, if I referred to them as Ma'am? I don't get it, as I just like to be polite...! 🙂
In New York, "yo" is by far the most polite term you will hear when one person addresses another. Most of the alternative terms -- many of which include colorful but non-scientific descriptors of various bodily orifices, actions that are anatomically impossible or illegal when they involve one's mother, or appear to be crude translations of obscure insults from foreign languages -- can't be used in a civilized forum such as this, and particularly not within earshot (eyeshot?) of a Southern gentleman such as @StimpyWan.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #98,853 of 145,769
Now don't be silly. That thing you always thought was a transformer... 😏

Aug 31, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #98,854 of 145,769
Nope but I am relatively certain that there are more than enough anal-retentive frAudiophiles out there that re-wire their CD Players (and any thing else that bothers them) with laser-measured and properly guaged wires and hot glue itsy-bitsy-teensie-weensie shrinkydinked train trestles under said wires inside their players. And more. I be they still jitter. The owners, not the players. :ksc75smile:

I once rewired my alarm clock with fancy wire and it worked even better at waking me up! 😁

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2022 at 8:46 PM Post #98,855 of 145,769
I once rewired my alarm clock with fancy wire and it worked even better at waking me up! 😁
What body part did you wire it to?

(I'll show myself out now) :)

Aug 31, 2022 at 9:04 PM Post #98,856 of 145,769
New amp day!

58DC78C7-286E-4DBC-B5C2-197608C6310F.jpeg

Aug 31, 2022 at 9:24 PM Post #98,857 of 145,769
I don't hate optical, but I'm happy that my DAC has two coax inputs.
Coax always sounded better to us at our shops as well.

In my experience, optical seems to introduce more jitter. (the experiences of others may vary of course).

Aug 31, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #98,858 of 145,769
"The flight crew’s insufficient monitoring of airspeed indications during the approach resulted from expectancy, increased workload, fatigue, and automation reliance."

"In a post-accident interview, the PF stated that at 500 ft AFE, the airplane should be stabilized, and for a visual approach, the airplane should be stabilized by 300 ft AFE. For an unstable condition, he said a go-around should be performed. The PF stated that only the PIC, in NTSB Aircraft Accident Report 65 this case the PM, had the authority to decide to go around. He said this was company policy resulting from a tailstrike event that had occurred when an FO had initiated a go around."

When the FO can't overrule the PIC based on situation / fact, something is severely broken.

https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/accidentreports/reports/aar1401.pdf
Certain cultures have strong ingrained authority ”rules of unbreakability” built into them. Makes juniors unwilling/unable to voice concerns. Company policy, indeed. A tailstrike was certainly cheaper in every way imaginable.

Aug 31, 2022 at 10:38 PM Post #98,860 of 145,769
Coax always sounded better to us at our shops as well.

In my experience, optical seems to introduce more jitter. (the experiences of others may vary of course).
Glass fiber or plastic optical?

Aug 31, 2022 at 10:42 PM Post #98,861 of 145,769
Glass fiber or plastic optical?
Both... but your (extensive) experience may vary.

We used to retail a few different cable companies 1995-2013.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2022 at 1:30 AM Post #98,863 of 145,769
Sep 1, 2022 at 3:57 AM Post #98,864 of 145,769
I would think most of us in here are music lovers. :ksc75smile: Personally I do not read, watch, or listen to many reviews, I just never have. I have been involved with enough listening tests to have a pretty good idea which DAC's, amps, speakers, headphones and pre-amps I like. My preference is tube sound and if need be I will design and build my own amps to achieve a specific sound for my own music enjoyment. That can help keep the cost down. Now on rare occasion I have heard a specific amp with specific speakers that I truly love, or a headphone amp with just the right headphones for me, when that happens I pursue them, within reason. I try to be pragmatic when it comes to spending a great deal of money for slight sound improvements.

I doubt I fit your sub-groups well since I have the ability to repair much of my own gear and think nothing of buying a 25 year old Cary tube amp and maintaining it myself. For a turntable I might select a vintage Thorens.
Hi Paladin - ah you fall into my notion of a music lover -perhaps a new group maybe I will call it - The Kit custodians - my first Tube amp was a Rogers Cadet 3 bought in a junk store for £5.00 in1985 - had it for years with a pair of AR18 spkrs - and my dads old AR XB1 turntable - not loud but lovely !!!

Sep 1, 2022 at 6:35 AM Post #98,865 of 145,769
Perhaps Schiit USA could come to an arrangement with their Non-US distributors for equipment that is currently purchased from the USA by people not in the USA ... maybe an option so that they could provide post-purchase support, like warranty work ??
Focus is North-America.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back