Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 29, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #97,216 of 148,410
Anyone with either Gungnir or Folkvangr able to advise which power cable belongs to which here? Had them both unhooked and now I don't know which was which. Prepping the replacement Gungnir (story a couple weeks back in thread about Gungnir sample rate change issue) to go back sadly for a similar issue.

20220729_111412.jpg
They are both IEC C5 or C6 connectors. If one is heavier, I would imagine it would go to the Folkvangr

Jul 29, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #97,217 of 148,410
But we're not talking about resistors in the crossover where they're equalizing loudness levels between different drivers or doing eq work (zobels, bsc, etc.). We're talking about resistors in parallel or series or both (wasn't originally mentioned how they were used) with the entire speaker. So the person is either reducing the power going to the speaker (by dumping it in a resistor) or dampening the load the amp sees to reduce strain on the amp. Either way, my opinion (again), wrong amp for speaker.
If they like the effect of the added resistor, who am I to say that it's the wrong thing to do? Some of us don't have the disposable income to buy & try many amps to find the 'perfect combination'. But advice from other knowledgeable individuals (maybe from a place like this forum) could certainly help one get to audio nirvana!

Jul 29, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #97,218 of 148,410
Jul 29, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #97,219 of 148,410
If they like the effect of the added resistor, who am I to say that it's the wrong thing to do? Some of us don't have the disposable income to buy & try many amps to find the 'perfect combination'. But advice from other knowledgeable individuals (maybe from a place like this forum) could certainly help one get to audio nirvana!

I never said it's the wrong thing to do though. I asked why it was being done, gave my opinion and, ended with a "to each his own".

Jul 29, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #97,220 of 148,410
Anyone with either Gungnir or Folkvangr able to advise which power cable belongs to which here? Had them both unhooked and now I don't know which was which. Prepping the replacement Gungnir (story a couple weeks back in thread about Gungnir sample rate change issue) to go back sadly for a similar issue.

Both should be iec c13 cords, likely SVT 3x18awg. vendor changes all the time, so i’m guessing it probably doesn’t matter which one you keep.

You can also email them before sending it back.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #97,222 of 148,410
My BF2/64 upgrade shipped as of 12:30 PM EST, but USPS only says label created with no movement yet. Hopefully, it goes out tomorrow!

Jul 29, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #97,223 of 148,410
It doesn't have to be dedicated.

Mine runs on my home file server with a bunch of other apps. I've never had a problem with it being sluggish, but it is a Core i7-6700 with 16GB RAM.
Agreed. There are many ways to go about running Roon.
My NAS runs my Plex server and my NUC runs nothing but Roon. It’s what works for me.
FWIW If there was a 100% Roon supported Roon server app for my Synology NAS I’d be happy to use it.

Jul 29, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #97,225 of 148,410
So, you thought that upgrading your power cable, USB cable, RCA cable and speaker/headphone cable completed your system? Think again - don't forget the SATA cable in your server! (From The Home Entertainment Show twitter feed.) Can't wait to see what Amir thinks about this one. :)

1659132935087.png

Attachments

• 1659133021042.png
    1659133021042.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Jul 29, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #97,226 of 148,410

20220729_111412.jpg
Shouldn't matter, looks like both are 10 amp cables.

Jul 29, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #97,228 of 148,410
So considering I'm working with lower than average intelligence on my end, how many man hours of work?
More than is worth devoting. Ask the software folks on this forum about getting things just exactly perfect.
Here's the thing: It's not just about whether it's worth doing or the amount of work it takes to get firmware just right. Software that relies on screens to be used ages about as well as cheese on a hot summer's day.
Just look at the infotainment screens of any car that's older than just a few years, or any other device that has an UI that hasn't been updated in a hot minute.

Adding screens to your Schiit might sound fun and interesting in theory, but you're artificially aging your gear if you were to actually do so. Everything that Schiit has made in the past 12 years will still look just as great 12, 24, even 48 years from now. (And with a few new caps, it'll probably still sound just as good, too.) Add a screen to it, and you'll be sick of looking at it (and probably of using it, depending on how well the overall UX ages) sooner than you might expect.

Part of what I appreciate about Schiit is that they design their gear to be simple to use and to look timeless. The day Jason decides to slap a (touch) screen on something for any reason other than absolute necessity (i.e. URD) will be the day I start looking for a new manufacturer for my audio stuff.

And this is coming from a software engineer and UI/UX designer with two decades of experience under his belt.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #97,229 of 148,410
Yes, you're right. With their calling it a "digital hub" of sorts I was hoping that one of the USB ports on the back would be able to read files from flash or hard drives like I'm currently able to do with my Sony that I'm using as a transport. The brands of other players I mentioned also have that capability. It's very convenient to just hook up an external drive and have the files read by the player/transport.

And I KNOW that Cambridge doesn't have Schiit's Unison USB which doesn't matter to me anyway considering my listening setup & preferences. I currently use SPDIF only.

My plan is to replace my ancient Musical Fidelity A308CR with the Urd. Urd will connect to Yggy OG's USB input., so Unison to Unison. The AURALiC Aries streamer will connect via USB to Urd on one of those "digital hub" input ports. I guess I'll have to splurge on another one of those $$ Cardas Clear USB Buss cables. I am pretty sure that (if he reads this) @Baldr will laugh at my cable fetish, but I'm becoming a believer... even though bits are bits, yada yada... :electric_plug:

Honestly, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the A308, especially in its role as a transport (digital coaxial to Yggy). It sounds great. But I have a master plan to re-cable my interconnects, and the Urd will free up enough rack space for me to go with shorter ICs overall.

I don't need an Urd. I just have a hankerin' for another piece of Schiit. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back