Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 29, 2022 at 3:02 AM Post #97,157 of 149,164
I miss loading drivers into upper memory
config.sys

One of the more challenging setups back in the day was to get Falcon 4 to run. Lots of tweaks needed to get all the system/memory/drivers etc loaded efficiently to ensure you had 600+ KILObytes of base memory free

Jul 29, 2022 at 3:59 AM Post #97,158 of 149,164
The issue with older versions of Roon was that it did not support performer, composer, ensemble, work and movement information correctly. Has that been fixed?
The amount of detail varies by album, but I find it to be very good. Here are a couple of examples, when opening credits on a track:
Screen Shot 2022-07-28 at 9.45.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-28 at 11.07.24 PM.png

For example, when I have 5 versions of a work (like Vivaldi's Four Seasons) with different performers and ensembles, how is that organized?
Roon's database catalogs recordings in multiple ways. Not only the usual album/track/artist/genre but also composition. If you search for Vivaldi Four Seasons, you can select the results by composition. You'll see your 5 versions listed (or the 162 versions on Qobuz) and you can play any of them directly, without needing to first open up the containing album.

Jul 29, 2022 at 4:10 AM Post #97,159 of 149,164
Hopefully the wait will be worth it & it will be able to read files from a storage device.
Urd won't be able to "read" any audio files from a storage device.
It has two USB inputs that need to be fed with a digital audio signal, so you need something else (hardware or software) to read the files from the storage device.

Jul 29, 2022 at 4:22 AM Post #97,160 of 149,164
they agree digital sounds better than analog.
Which verifies that, for the second time today, I am right. Records sound better.
Different it the better (pun intended) word to use.
You can add "in a positive way to my ears and on my gear" to the word different. Or use words like: I prefer xx to yy.

Jul 29, 2022 at 6:46 AM Post #97,162 of 149,164
So Urd can't read files on a cd inserted into it's drive?
I'm sure that wasn't what he was referring to with his question, but smart move. :wink:

Jul 29, 2022 at 7:13 AM Post #97,163 of 149,164
Did they have cars back then? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Must not have...as everything was Greener -- Green Screens, Green Bar (paper)

btw...Paper was a thing that we read Computer Output on -- mostly error reports, dumps, etc.
Every once in a while, you'd read an actual report with numbers that made sense (at least to the business user)

Jul 29, 2022 at 7:17 AM Post #97,164 of 149,164
I used to write some pretty complex DOS batch files. IF, Goto, command /c, to spawn another instance of command environment to run another process and then return back to the first instance to finish the batch file.

Ascii menu systems with batch files to launch programs, set environment...

I kinda miss those days. 😀

Bat Files...Superhero stuff! :wink:

Jul 29, 2022 at 7:53 AM Post #97,165 of 149,164
I have a Saga + and just bought a used Lyr 3 with the multibit card. I'll need a month to tell you which I like better. I think Lyr + (without the space for a DAC card and with a remote) is now very close to the Saga +. I like the multiple inputs on the Saga and the headphone jack on a Lyr is a necessity for a "headphone amp", but they are crowding each other a bit. I could imaging two flavors of something - one with five inputs and the other with two inputs and a headphone jack - replacing both Lyr and Saga and simplifying Schiit's life.
I've seen Jason talk about a balanced Saga 2, and after seeing the Lyr+ they can probably consolidate the Saga S and Saga+ with one balanced pre-amp. Probably something similar to the Jotunheim i/o except with an extra SE input and output.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #97,166 of 149,164
Oh, c'mon. I believe in giving credit where credit is due.

@Paladin79 for woodworking, Sonus Faber, tubes, and equipment comparos, etc
@bcowen for cardboard, BBQ, tubes, etc
@ArmchairPhilosopher for verbiage, German trivia, etc

The breadth of knowledge of the individuals and the group collectively is astonishing. I am but an egg.
You are not giving @bcowen enough credit, the man is the inventor of the floating AC outlet strip, UL approval pending. :ksc75smile:
Russia-63.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #97,167 of 149,164
Urd won't be able to "read" any audio files from a storage device.
It has two USB inputs that need to be fed with a digital audio signal, so you need something else (hardware or software) to read the files from the storage device.
If that's correct then that's too bad. When I saw the prototype on one of their videos they described the unit as a "digital hub". And seeing a USB port on the front I was hoping it would read files from a storage device ala Marantz, Denon, Sony, etc. Would have been one of the main reasons I would have bought it. Otherwise I might as well just buy another Cambridge CXC CDT to replace the one I just sold to Denafrips.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #97,168 of 149,164
If that's correct then that's too bad. When I saw the prototype on one of their videos it looked like it had a USB port on the front which I was hoping would read files from a storage device ala Marantz, Denon, etc. Would have been one of the main reasons I would have bought it. Otherwise I might as well just buy another Cambridge CXC CDT to replace the one I just sold to Denafrips.
urd.jpg

Front: Appears only to have CD tray (left), display (right) and buttons to move track to track, fast-forward, eject etc. Buttons to change input, Hole for the remote receiver.
You can hook up a streamer, PC, laptop to 2 USB ports in the back and can do A-B with the CD.
With names like Marantz, Denon, what kind of storage devices are you referring to?
I used Google, but couldn't find any. Audio file storage is normally a SSD, HDD or NAS (build with the former components).
Cambridge doesn't have Unison™ USB :sunglasses:

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #97,169 of 149,164
With names like Marantz, Denon, what kind of storage devices are you referring to?

Both my Rotel integrated amp and entry level Yamaha CD player have frontside USB ports for flash drives. External PC drives don't work, but the Rotel came with a bluetooth dongle I use with an Amazon Echo. Neither device supports FLAC files, but I believe the newer Rotel devices will.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #97,170 of 149,164
Depends on how you respond. My wife asked me if her new jeans made her look Ex-FAT, and I plead the 5th. That didn't work well. 🤣
The answer is always “that looks good on you”. Even if it is a trash bag and tin foil hat. And never ever pause before saying it. Hesitation is a dead giveaway. 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back