Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 28, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #97,112 of 149,016
Welcome to the forums! My name is also Dave, and like you I don't use headphones. This thread in particular is full of good info and humor.
Thanks Dave. Looking forward to hearing about the Bifrost upgrade from some end users.

You should look into Roon...you might switch from 5% to 95% playback. The service is that good!
Thanks for the recommendation but I really like having physical media. Probably a hold-over from my vinyl days.

Jul 28, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #97,113 of 149,016
That miter looks like a b*tch! Where does the noise come out?
It is a complex miter lol. I raise the bottom and leave a gap, bass is there. Mids and highs through the top. Once I get set up I may as well cut eight more sides. FF2990E1-0DB8-4305-9604-4ADF383CFBC9.jpeg

A finished pair in cherry. I am also trying black walnut.

EF9D6F54-0B56-4D5A-962C-7132433E49C3.jpeg

Jul 28, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #97,116 of 149,016
It is a complex miter lol. I raise the bottom and leave a gap, bass is there. Mids and highs through the top. Once I get set up I may as well cut eight more sides.FF2990E1-0DB8-4305-9604-4ADF383CFBC9.jpeg

The black walnut is beyond gorgeous!

Jul 28, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #97,118 of 149,016
Hey folks!

New member's first post here. I was wondering if anyone has received & had a chance to listen to the Bifrost 2/64 board yet or knows anyone who has. Or is it too soon to ask? Based on Jason's announcement it sounded like it could be shipped almost immediately. I've owned a Bifrost 2 since buying it new in January 2021 and would be VERY interested in an update/upgrade that would make an already very good DAC better.

Since I'm a new member, a little info: I DON'T listen with headphones. I only joined the forum to ask this question & participate when appropriate. My needs are simple & my modest system reflects that. After selling my 3000+ LP collection many years ago I now only listen to digital (95% CDs, 5% high-quality files ripped to a hard drive). My system consists of a Music Hall a15.3 integrated amp, Bifrost 2, Monitor Audio Radius 90 mini-monitors & Kantos sub (really nice, fast sub for the $). Cabling includes Dared Blue speaker cables, Cardas Quadlink interconnect and Blue Jeans & AudioQuest digital COAXes. I am currently looking for a decent transport & am waiting with interest to see/hear about Schiit's own transport. Listening environment is small but comfortable.

Thank you in advance & looking forward to hearing what others say about this update.

Dave
Welcome Dave!

Jul 28, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #97,119 of 149,016
It is a complex miter lol. I raise the bottom and leave a gap, bass is there. Mids and highs through the top. Once I get set up I may as well cut eight more sides.FF2990E1-0DB8-4305-9604-4ADF383CFBC9.jpeg

Beautiful!

Jul 28, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #97,120 of 149,016
Hey folks!

New member's first post here. I was wondering if anyone has received & had a chance to listen to the Bifrost 2/64 board yet or knows anyone who has. Or is it too soon to ask? Based on Jason's announcement it sounded like it could be shipped almost immediately. I've owned a Bifrost 2 since buying it new in January 2021 and would be VERY interested in an update/upgrade that would make an already very good DAC better.

Since I'm a new member, a little info: I DON'T listen with headphones. I only joined the forum to ask this question & participate when appropriate. My needs are simple & my modest system reflects that. After selling my 3000+ LP collection many years ago I now only listen to digital (95% CDs, 5% high-quality files ripped to a hard drive). My system consists of a Music Hall a15.3 integrated amp, Bifrost 2, Monitor Audio Radius 90 mini-monitors & Kantos sub (really nice, fast sub for the $). Cabling includes Dared Blue speaker cables, Cardas Quadlink interconnect and Blue Jeans & AudioQuest digital COAXes. I am currently looking for a decent transport & am waiting with interest to see/hear about Schiit's own transport. Listening environment is small but comfortable.

Thank you in advance & looking forward to hearing what others say about this update.

Dave
You are brave for sharing that you use upgraded cables. :scream_cat:

Wait for the URD, yours will be a much shorter wait than mine and well worth it. For the record I don't play records (they are cut from digital files, anyway, we recently discovered), nor do I use headphones. But 2 channel Schiit is excellent stuff.

Jul 28, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #97,122 of 149,016
Jul 28, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #97,123 of 149,016
I'm torn. I like a repository of measurements on the web, like Stereophile's and this. OTOH, the guy himself apparently doesn't know how to do measurements correctly. Can one draw conclusions comparing things that have all been measured incorrectly? I'm not sure he does it incorrectly consistently, iykwim.
I subscribe to Stereophile. One thing that Stereophile gets right IMO is that the reviewers must listen to the equipment before measurements are taken.
It irks me that ASR measures the equipment and then maybe, just maybe, gives it a listen. ASR gives recommendations based solely on this method.

But his acolytes, omg, they need to get a life. A dunking in a shark tank would be a more pleasant experience than expressing a different opinion than that expressed in the review.
John's views may be a bit polarizing, but his description of forum responders starting at about 11:40 is spot-on and apply to many forums.
Many keyboard warriors are nothing but abused dogs barking their brains out when you walk by.

Jul 28, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #97,124 of 149,016
It has gotten a bit better over the past few years, but the Roon daemon and client are still somewhat unstable on Linux and macOS.
I've been running Roon on Ubuntu Server for over 5 years. 2000 local albums, mainly jazz and classical. Qobuz for streaming since that's been available in the US. The server side has been very stable all along. I use macOS just as a remote, maybe not as stable but very usable. Other remotes on iPadOS and Android (the least stable for the first couple of years). My classical collection is not huge, 20% of the total, but it includes some old large boxsets that requires some metadata grooming when I ripped them, but are now easy to navigate in Roon. In general, relatively recent classical releases have usable metadata, where things get sticky is with reissues of old recordings. But then that's true for other genres as well.

Jul 28, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #97,125 of 149,016
I subscribe to Stereophile. One thing that Stereophile gets right IMO is that the reviewers must listen to the equipment before measurements are taken.
It irks me that ASR measures the equipment and then maybe, just maybe, gives it a listen. ASR gives recommendations based solely on this method.
I agree entirely.

I especially think that anyone who looks at FR charts on headphones before listening to them for 20 or more hours has permanently prejudiced their evaluation. It's absolutely a "what has been seen, cannot be unseen" situation, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back