Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 4, 2022 at 1:52 AM Post #95,686 of 149,098
You’ve pretty much got end game gear EMT. I’d be shocked if the sound wasn’t mind blowing.

Edit: if you’re not happy with either of those amps, I would be happy to dispose of it for you. :)
I switch between two locations regularly, one SET amp at each. Used to have two (used) Aficionados until the Stellaris arrived. Sold one of the Aficionados then.

Jul 4, 2022 at 6:45 AM Post #95,687 of 149,098
I am trying to resist the temptation of buying the 'bonkers' Folkvangr but I can feel my resolve weakening...:worried:

I have a fairly naïve question, which I'd really appreciate some help with please, from those on the forum who, unlike me, understand tubes.

The Folkvangr is of course, primarily a headphone amp.

However, I notice it has preamp outputs.

Now, if I'd really wanted a tube output option from a preamp, I should have bought a Freya+, but I didn't- I bought a Freya S!

I run a balanced system comprising : Digital source->Yggy OG->Freya S->Active ATC speakers (with XLR inputs for built-in power amps).

Is there any way that the Folkvangr could be used in this set up?

I completely understand that the Folkvangr is a single ended design, so not well-suited to my balanced set up.

I just wondered if its preamp output could be connected to one of the single ended inputs of my Freya S, which will then magically output Balanced, via the Nexus gain stage?

This is probably a stupid idea, for a number of reasons, and if so, I'd appreciate anyone on the forum putting me straight as to why that is.

However, if it would work, it would mean that in addition to introducing some tube magic for headphone listening, I might be able to do the same for the speaker system.

If that is the case, all bets are off and my credit card will be taking a big hit :beyersmile:

Edit: I have succumbed to temptation and just ordered a Folkvangr, in silver!
I would appreciate any comments about whether the preamp output from Folkvangr could be fed into a S/E input of my Freya S.
Thanks
Yes you will use one of the best features Freya has, besides remote volume control: conversion single ended to differential :)

Jul 4, 2022 at 7:37 AM Post #95,688 of 149,098
Yes you will use one of the best features Freya has, besides remote volume control: conversion single ended to differential :)
I believe you’d be skipping the FV gain stage (6 of the 8) tubes though. Might be worth getting a Freya + for this case (if your primary listening is ATC). But if you don’t care about some “wasted” tube time, Enjoy!

Jul 4, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #95,689 of 149,098
Folkvangr is super tempting, but we’re planning to get married in the autumn, so I’d better save some money for that instead.

Hopefully Folkvangr will make a comeback in the future in some form.

Jul 4, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #95,690 of 149,098
I like LQI Cables for their build quality which is top notch. There are cheaper and more expensive options of course.

https://lqicables.com/
Thanks for the recommendation. I'd bought a couple of cables from ImpactAudioCables in the past but they are currently on hiatus, so I was looking for other options. After browsing innumerable possibilities on-line, I did order a replacement cable from LQi for the HD800 so I can pair it with the Folkvangr. Now it's just a matter of being patient waiting for both to arrive, and re-jiggering the rack to find a spot for the Folkvangr and remove the Lyr3.

While I expect the HD800 will be my main headphone with the Folkvangr, I also have a HD600, and HD6XX. (What can I say, I like Sennheisers.) On the Valhalla I preferred the HD6XX for rock, HD800 for jazz and classical, and the HD600 for a general mix.

Happy 4th to those who celebrate.

Jul 4, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #95,691 of 149,098
Folkvangr is super tempting, but we’re planning to get married in the autumn, so I’d better save some money for that instead.

Hopefully Folkvangr will make a comeback in the future in some form.
This must be your first marriage? If so, load up on everything you want before then. Trust me on this. :sweat_smile:

(Seriously, congrats on the upcoming wedding!)

Jul 4, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #95,693 of 149,098
I believe you’d be skipping the FV gain stage (6 of the 8) tubes though. Might be worth getting a Freya + for this case (if your primary listening is ATC). But if you don’t care about some “wasted” tube time, Enjoy!
Thanks @quasor
I did try an original Freya, and the tube output wasn’t good with the ATCs ( in my opinion).
Bass control suffered and the sound was just ‘woolly’.

I know that the Freya+ has a superior tube stage to the original Freya, but I came to the conclusion that my ATCs do not need any ‘tube magic’.
I bought a Freya S and the speakers sound ‘real’ and ‘natural’ on good recordings.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #95,694 of 149,098
What a great wedding present for your bride!

She is always cold, so I guess Folkvangr would make for a nice space heater (and a headphone rig) to the bedroom. :thinking:

This must be your first marriage? If so, load up on everything you want before then. Trust me on this. :sweat_smile:

(Seriously, congrats on the upcoming wedding!)

Yep, a first for me. I’ve already promised to scale down on the extravagant purchases once we’ve made some kids, so I should be good until then.

Jul 4, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #95,698 of 149,098
warming up! might need the loki max to control all tubeiness with the extra 6 from the phono stage...

20220703_173044.jpg
Ooohh, your rig is so neat, so organized. Was struck by the handy towel rack. Is that a record-cleaning cloth? For dusting the gear? Or do you wash up before each listening session? :relaxed:

Jul 4, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #95,699 of 149,098
warming up! might need the loki max to control all tubeiness with the extra 6 from the phono stage...

20220703_173044.jpg
Superb. I like where you put your record sleeve. Now why haven't I thought of that! Beats draping it over the speaker. Thanks for sharing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back