Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 23, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #94,953 of 148,486
Wouldn't the Bifrost 2 Autonomy architecture lend itself quite well to having LiM and/or MiL cards that could be swapped in?
I've always hoped to see an up/side-grade released for either of B2's slots.
With Unison already being Schiit's endgame for usb input, the analog card seems to be the only chance for something like that.
I'd hate to see Jason's ingenuity/design of Autonomy go un-used!

Jun 23, 2022 at 11:52 PM Post #94,955 of 148,486
Jun 24, 2022 at 12:59 AM Post #94,956 of 148,486
Wouldn't the Bifrost 2 Autonomy architecture lend itself quite well to having LiM and/or MiL cards that could be swapped in?
I've always hoped to see an up/side-grade released for either of B2's slots.
With Unison already being Schiit's endgame for usb input, the analog card seems to be the only chance for something like that.
I'd hate to see Jason's ingenuity/design of Autonomy go un-used!
Likely Schiit was already exploring an alternative DAC module for BF2 (but de-prioritized temporarily to focus on the unexpected and forced transition from AKM to ESS on Modi / Modius / Hel / Fulla);

as AD5781BRUZ on Gungnir is no longer available, AD5781ARUZ variant as used on BF2 will likely follow, eventually.

I suspect both part numbers are made from the same wafers, but only a fraction meet the much tighter specs of the BRUZ grade at 0.25 LSB INL vs the ARUZ spec of 2 LSB INL, making the ARUZ version used on BF2 more plentiful.

bigger issue is the presently limited availability of the ADSP processors / continued slip of chip mfr's expected delivery date; and the porting / re-design to implement an alternative DSP is still in process.

if one is on the fence about getting a BF2, now might be a good time. one can always change the DAC module (hopefully via Autonomy end-user module swap + microSD firmware update) later should one be developed and not production-limited by the staggering industry-wide semiconductor shortages.

some lesser companies would have been destroyed / out of business by now.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #94,957 of 148,486
And I do need to emphasize "and maybe not" on the Modi Multibit 2 and the Unison Multibit card. It all depends on whether or not Analog Devices ships their DSPs to the new, delayed schedule, which followed the new, delayed schedule, which followed the new, delayed schedule...etc. If they ship in November, fine. If they don't, expect more of the same...nothing.

Sorry, but this is the new reality. I also need to let everyone know that more price increases are imminent, specifically on Vidar and Aegir. The price of transformers has gone completely nuts. If you're sitting, the time to move is now. I hate being "buy it now!" salesy, but this is reality. I'd rather give you some warning.

Roses are red
Mimby can be black
Everyone chillax
Multibit will be back

Jun 24, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #94,959 of 148,486
Gungnir order placed, thanks Jason for the heads up. I discovered that my current GMB is only 2-months from being out of warranty. So, a proactive move ... and yes, that's how much I like the DAC.
I will finally get to hear what Unison sounds like :)
Couldn't you have just ordered Unison to get the warranty extension?

Jun 24, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #94,960 of 148,486
I know this question has been posed endlessly, but maybe I will elicit a new facet by asking it yet again - What benefit would I see by going from a single Vidar to monoblock Vidars? I have 86db efficient speakers (Vandersteen 2Ce Sig 3) in a 300 sq ft room where I can not exceed 90db volume without my ears hurting. Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
I am not sure about this but I think monoblocks give you
* better channel separation (at that point in your chain. If it's crap before then, then not).
* headroom
* better dynamics from a not-shared power supply. If your wall can't provide the necessary current, then not.
* an opportunity to shorten the speaker wire, which is said to offer benefits and maybe a cost savings if you buy expensive wire.
* an opportunity to improve the "environment" around your speakers which would have soundstage and imaging benefits. Basically, clear the area around the speakers to help with controlling early reflections. One such change would be to move the amps off a tall equipment rack, move the equipment rack itself from between the speaker to a different location, and run balanced cables from there to the amps on low amp stands near the speaker.
* the Vidars may last longer as their components would be less stressed and generating less heat.

let the rebuttals begin! :-D

Jun 24, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #94,961 of 148,486
Jun 24, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #94,963 of 148,486
With any luck, we'll have a hot announcement coming shortly...

Now with USB-C (amongst other things).

I know, we need a new rear shot...currently in process.
1656082847432.jpeg

Jun 24, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #94,964 of 148,486
Couldn't you have just ordered Unison to get the warranty extension?
Yes, of course, but then I would have been without my DAC. Better to have two than zero :)

Jun 24, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #94,965 of 148,486
The Tyr hype seems to have died down, but I'd still love to hear impressions from Tyr owners who can compare them to other amps (e.g., Aegir, vintage power amps, etc.).

I have a rebuilt Yamaha B2. Conventional wisdom has directed me to stop looking for anything better because it won't be found without spending tens of thousands. But, Tyr has me curious.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back